Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

The “would you change seats with me?” Master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
There have been sufficient posts over the years on this topic so as to extend the scope of this thread from one instance to multiple instances of passengers asking to exchange seats with you.

The prevailing ideas of seat exchange etiquette seem to include:

Ask, don’t assume or surprise another passenger by poaching another passenger’s seat first, then asking when confronted. At that point, even for those willing, you’ll probably get a curt “no” reply - at best.

Ask nicely.

Try to have a reasonable purpose - you’re a companion to a person with a disability or condition requiring your assistance and the airline had no adjacent seats to sell.

Don’t expect a better seat to be granted for your worse seat. Ever.

Thank the other person. Shouting them a drink, etc. is even better.

Accept “no” gracefully; it wasn’t ever your seat.
Print Wikipost

The “would you change seats with me?” Master thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
My wife and I witnessed a funny situation a few years back. ORD-SJU in F, lady in front of us asked her aisle companion if he could switch with her partner, sitting on the window on last row of F, he politely declined as he preferred aisle. Same situation happened to her friend when he asked his aisle travel mate to switch. It was obvious that aisle seaters preferred their seats, understood. We get on route to SJU, and the lady just keep talking over the aisle traveler to her partner on the row opposite to her, stood up a few times, to talk to him as well, got a few drinks from the FA. Eventually Mr. aisle seat had enough and decided to switch. She quieted/calmed down, but then the PDA's started, kissing, holding hands, touching each other's face, you get the idea. It was to the point that they needed a room for themselves. Us being literally behind them heard a few "panting" sounds. The FA had to intervene a few times, but it was to no avail.
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Been There

I was on a long haul overnight flight on an A321. I had a normal window seat, mid cabin, nothing special. BUT when I got to the airport I checked and the last row was completely empty - I changed to the window seat in that row. I checked and checked as long as it would let me to see if the seats were still open - all good. We board, I settle in, feeling like a champ. Right before they closed the door, a couple with a baby got on board. C, D, E were open in the Row A, B, F (me) were taken. Dude comes down and tells me I'm in his seat. I show him my ticket, and he says, no we are supposed to be in these seats. I asked to see his and he wouldn't show me. He asked me to switch to C. I said I chose this seat specifically so I could sleep (not to mention C and D in the backrows on a long haul - awful seats with people lining up for the lav). Then he says you'll have to sit next to this crying baby the whole trip and shakes his baby at me. I get it, better to have the whole row for you, mom, and baby, but I felt like C D E was manageable for them. Turns out the people in A and B overheard and I guess they are nicer than me so they volunteered to take D and E and give them A B C. The couple was super cool, nice, and they got why I didn't want to switch. Now here comes the kicker, right as I was starting to feel like maybe I was a jerk, the guy was walking up and down the aisle bouncing his baby around, I get that but was extra glad I wasn't in the aisle then getting bumped into on every pass. The FA stops him, at which point he tells the FA that he works for the airline and is nonrevving and got stuck in the last row. She expressed some sympathy and offered to bring them some extra drinks. So now it all became a little more clear. They had checked the flight and saw the open row when they got listed and then I changed seats and was ticketed in it, and when they got on they just assumed it was still open. Definitely should have checked their tickets and should have backed down the first time I said no, and definitely should have backed down as a nonrev (and maybe not even asked in the first place). I have moved seats a bunch of times - I even once made a mistake of agreeing to switch from A in MCE to A in Economy (I thought that row was still MCE) and stuck with it when I realized the mistake - I agreed to it, that's on me. It was a four hour flight though, so I vowed to know my seat maps better after that haha.
I've ridden quite a few gifted passes. The rules were drilled into me by the gifting party because the blowback hits them hard. Even if the GA is having a bad day and shafted you to do their friend a favor (and that has happened to me). I can't imagine the problem person being an actual employee, or even a frequent guest. I'm guessing they arm-twisted somebody to get a pass.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I have asked a few times other people to switch, when upgrades clear late or at the gate, so I can sit near/next to partner. Usually on long haul TPAC.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:01 pm

From my past couple AA flights , people are already sitting in your seat and then the real person comes and it’s like “your sitting in my seat” and then the flight attendant has to find a seat for this person.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
I've ridden quite a few gifted passes. The rules were drilled into me by the gifting party because the blowback hits them hard. Even if the GA is having a bad day and shafted you to do their friend a favor (and that has happened to me). I can't imagine the problem person being an actual employee, or even a frequent guest. I'm guessing they arm-twisted somebody to get a pass.
This person was an airline employee. Not sure what job or role, but he specifically told the FA that he worked for the airline. I was a younger person then, naďve. Now I pay attention to the standby board hoping for upgrades, so I usually can spot the nonrevvers.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by enviroian
Personally the less I speak to the offender the better. My usual response to tools like this is "no, thank you" and I sit down and continue what I was doing.
Why even say thank you when just say no will do? Do you want to thank the person for trying to scam you out of a FC seat?
Old Mar 29, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by Stocktc1
From my past couple AA flights , people are already sitting in your seat and then the real person comes and it’s like “your sitting in my seat” and then the flight attendant has to find a seat for this person.
A few years back I was flying ORD-TPA, and I was lucky enough to have been upgraded. Upon boarding I find Anita Piniella in my bulkhead seat. She and Lou were headed back home at the end of his LAST season with the Cubs. Apparently they were not seated together originally.

Honestly, they were rude about it, but I didn’t complain and took her seat in the next (F) row.
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Originally Posted by Stocktc1
Awhile back I boarded and found an elderly couple sitting in the 2AB seats in F. I had 2B (or C, whatever the aisle is on that plane). Before I even said anything the old guy in B apologized -- somehow he knew that was my selected-one-month-ago seat -- would you mind taking my seat across the aisle? Absolutely no problem sir, you enjoy your flight.

Sometimes you just have to let it go and be a decent human being. And sometimes you hold your ground. Don't ever dare to offer me a worse seat.
roberto99 and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 9:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I had seat 1a on a November flight. I got in late and an older lady was sitting in my seat. I looked at her and asked her if she said she had the right seat. She said she didn’t know and that since she was handicapped she had a right to this seat. Didn’t even tell me where she moved from. Luckily a gentlemen next to me told me that she probably had 4a so I sat there. I didn’t want to make a fuss but man that really pissed me off.
u01sss3 and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 9:39 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Years ago I had a flight on US Airways (well guess that's now fitting for AA forum).... I was on board in my exit row aisle seat and an older woman comes up to me toward the end of boarding and loudly says, "Boy, you're in my seat." I pulled out my boarding pass and said nope, this is my seat. She told me I needed to get up because she was just given that seat. I pushed the call button. About a minute later the gate agent comes down and told me "Get your things and come with me." Thinking this was a battle not to be worthwhile, I grabbed my bag down and followed him to the front. We get into First Class and he hands me a boarding pass for my upgrade and just points to the seat and turns to go into the front galley. I put my bag overhead and then went up front as he was about to exit and told him that while 1.) I appreciate the upgrade, 2.) he is an a** for how he handled it and presented himself, and 3.) I would have given him one of those certificates we used to get as CPs to recognize but 4.) now I was going to write a complaint, then went back to my seat. Flight attendant gave me a high five with my PDB.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 4:35 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by JAXPax
now I was going to write a complaint, then went back to my seat. Flight attendant gave me a high five with my PDB.
Did you actually complain? Personally I would have just let it go grateful that he did not put that woman in that seat. He could have done and you'd have been none the wiser.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Did you actually complain? Personally I would have just let it go grateful that he did not put that woman in that seat. He could have done and you'd have been none the wiser.
That was definitely excessive, he upgraded him and he said he will file a complaint, c’mon.
PUCCI GALORE and Cotumely like this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
That's an excellent "What if?" question, but No, I'm absolutely certain she was somewhere back in Main Cabin. The only females behind us in FC that weren't next to windows were old enough to be his mother. Plus, a flight attendant brought a message up to him from the daughter at some point.

As for my *maybe* granting the request for the 30-minute flight between SEA and PDX, it would depend on his honest answer to some one-in-50-billion scenario question, such as, "Is she the one sitting back there by Penelope Cruz?"
I might have told him how much the person sitting next to his daughter in Economy would be thrilled to trade seats with him.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by mvoight
I might have told him how much the person sitting next to his daughter in Economy would be thrilled to trade seats with him.
Exactly right. And so many great tales and possible retorts for this situation since I posted my addition to this thread. I think I'll be better prepared if there is a next time. Thanks, everyone.

Having had a week to reflect on the experience, what I can't get past is the fact that Mr. 2C valued having his FC cake without thinking he could instead join or remain with his daughter 'back there', or split the FC time with her, or--Heavens to Murgatroyd!--let HER have the FC experience the whole way. I'm wondering how she felt about being disrespected that way. I'd certainly have felt that's what I was doing if I did that to either of my children, disrespecting them, but I of course don't know their particular story leading up to that day.

In the end, we all landed safely at OGG.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by Beachfun71
A few years back I was flying ORD-TPA, and I was lucky enough to have been upgraded. Upon boarding I find Anita Piniella in my bulkhead seat. She and Lou were headed back home at the end of his LAST season with the Cubs. Apparently they were not seated together originally.

Honestly, they were rude about it, but I didn’t complain and took her seat in the next (F) row.
Having been a Reds and Mariners fan (based solely on where I was living or had my voter registration at the time), I'm a little bummed to hear that Lou might not have been as Sweet as the nickname would lead us to believe. Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.