FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Crediting BA flight to my AAdvantage account (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1914343-crediting-ba-flight-my-aadvantage-account.html)

wjbesh Jun 14, 18 12:42 pm

Crediting BA flight to my AAdvantage account
 
Upfront warning that this is potentially a dumb question. I have an itinerary I'm considering booking on BA. It's a BA-marketed flight on BA metal that I can only book via BA (or pay a substantial price difference with AA or others), but because of my unexpected AAdvantage status progress this year I'd like to credit the flight to my AA account for some extra EQMs to help me clear the next status hurdle. I have both an AAdvantage account and an Executive Club account (with no status and not much prospect of any status in the future).

I know how many EQMs, EQDs, and RDMs I'll get for the flight from looking through the AA partner wiki (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html), but what I'm not clear on is what I have to do to make BA and AA credit my AA account for this flight. If I book via my BA EC account, will it automatically credit to EC and that's the end of it? Is there an election or change I make after I've booked? Should I book it from a "guest" profile and just fill in my AAdvantage number? I'm considering this BA itinerary vs. airlines I like much better only because of the potential AA EQMs, so I'd just like to be sure I'm not going to bungle it by not knowing what I'm doing.

If anyone could give me the explanation you'd give a 10 year old, or point me to a relevant thread on the forum, it'd be much appreciated!

mvoight Jun 14, 18 1:07 pm


Originally Posted by wjbesh (Post 29866934)
Upfront warning that this is potentially a dumb question. I have an itinerary I'm considering booking on BA. It's a BA-marketed flight on BA metal that I can only book via BA (or pay a substantial price difference with AA or others), but because of my unexpected AAdvantage status progress this year I'd like to credit the flight to my AA account for some extra EQMs to help me clear the next status hurdle. I have both an AAdvantage account and an Executive Club account (with no status and not much prospect of any status in the future).

I know how many EQMs, EQDs, and RDMs I'll get for the flight from looking through the AA partner wiki (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...es-2017-a.html), but what I'm not clear on is what I have to do to make BA and AA credit my AA account for this flight. If I book via my BA EC account, will it automatically credit to EC and that's the end of it? Is there an election or change I make after I've booked? Should I book it from a "guest" profile and just fill in my AAdvantage number? I'm considering this BA itinerary vs. airlines I like much better only because of the potential AA EQMs, so I'd just like to be sure I'm not going to bungle it by not knowing what I'm doing.

If anyone could give me the explanation you'd give a 10 year old, or point me to a relevant thread on the forum, it'd be much appreciated!

Change the frequent flyer account associated with the reservation. I don't know if BA will let you change it online, but a reservation agent should be able to.

guv1976 Jun 14, 18 2:28 pm


Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 29867032)
Change the frequent flyer account associated with the reservation. I don't know if BA will let you change it online, but a reservation agent should be able to.

Unless the OP derives some benefit from having his BAEC number in the PNR initially, I would just make the booking as a guest and select AA as the FFP to which the flights should be credited. Why go through the (usually minor) hassle of trying to change the FFP?

elpi Jun 14, 18 2:43 pm


Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 29867309)
Unless the OP derives some benefit from having his BAEC number in the PNR initially, I would just make the booking as a guest and select AA as the FFP to which the flights should be credited. Why go through the (usually minor) hassle of trying to change the FFP?

Exactly. That's how i always do.

Dave Noble Jun 14, 18 3:36 pm

Don't log in to the BA account , but just make the booking normally

Then go into BA's manage booking facility and can add the AA number

SeattleDavid Jun 14, 18 4:29 pm


Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 29867032)
Change the frequent flyer account associated with the reservation. I don't know if BA will let you change it online, but a reservation agent should be able to.

This is the correct and very simple answer. Don't log in to your BAEC account. Make the booking and enter your AAdvantage number at that point of the booking.

It is possible to have two FFP numbers attached to the reservation (if you want to use Avios to upgrade for example) but this increases the probability of the wrong program being credited.

LonghornSF Jun 14, 18 7:54 pm

Previous posters are correct, book as a guest. Whatever you do, SAVE YOUR BOARDING PASS until the miles are credited correctly. BA has “forgotten” to credit my AA account before and I probably would have been up a creek without the boarding pass.

matrixwalker2012 Jun 14, 18 10:28 pm


Originally Posted by SeattleDavid (Post 29867787)
This is the correct and very simple answer. Don't log in to your BAEC account. Make the booking and enter your AAdvantage number at that point of the booking.

It is possible to have two FFP numbers attached to the reservation (if you want to use Avios to upgrade for example) but this increases the probability of the wrong program being credited.

i wonder if one could have 3 FFP numbers associated.

Example: Fly CX on an M fare, credit to BA, use CX Miles to upgrade, derive elite benefits from AA. (No credit to AA)

rfrost Jun 18, 18 8:37 am

As someone who has had a real headache getting flights properly credited, the safest thing by far is to follow the advice above and log in to BA as a guest, although that may mean spending some time filling in some blanks, and credit the flight to your AAdvantage account in the first instance. Once your BAEC number is in the reservation, it is difficult to remove it, and methods I've used in the past successfully (using the AY website or having the agent at the airport change it) nowadays don't seem to work. A BA reservations agent on the phone should be able to do it, but you risk a long hold listing to that horrible music.

jcatman Jun 18, 18 9:42 am


Originally Posted by rfrost (Post 29878342)
As someone who has had a real headache getting flights properly credited, the safest thing by far is to follow the advice above and log in to BA as a guest, although that may mean spending some time filling in some blanks, and credit the flight to your AAdvantage account in the first instance. Once your BAEC number is in the reservation, it is difficult to remove it, and methods I've used in the past successfully (using the AY website or having the agent at the airport change it) nowadays don't seem to work. A BA reservations agent on the phone should be able to do it, but you risk a long hold listing to that horrible music.

Telephoning BA is a painful experience indeed.

thorofare Jun 18, 18 11:06 pm

You can be logged into your BAEC account and still credit the miles to AA. During the booking process you have the option of choosing which BA partner airline to credit the miles to and then entering the respective program's FF number. I just booked a flight doing this two days ago. But as @LonghornSF says, save your boarding pass. I would also save my e-ticket receipt. Earlier this year when an IB flight segment didn't post my AA account, AA requested a copy of the e-ticket and boarding pass.

muishkin Jun 18, 18 11:40 pm

For BA flights, if I need to change the FFP associated with the booking, I've always used Finnair.com and use their Managing booking tool! I found Finnair's interface to be cleaner, less cluttered and simpler to use than BA's elegant but labyrinthine-like interface. Your BA booking reference will work on Finnair.com.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:53 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.