Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Need advice: Award booking change means >24 connection

Need advice: Award booking change means >24 connection

Old Jun 12, 18, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS MVPG75K,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,SPG Plat,HH Gold,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Need advice: Award booking change means >24 connection

I was doubly lucky to first book a SFO-JFK-AUH trip several months ago for late October trip using my AA miles and then have AA/EY automatically change my JFK-AUH EY flight from the afternoon to the evening after EY recently canceled its afternoon flights for JFK-AUH (starting Oct. 1, I believe). But this has created a slight complication, in that I now have a >24 hour layover in JFK between my early morning AA SFO-JFK flight and my evening EY JFK-AUH flight the following day

I'd like to hold onto that AA flight, partly because I'd welcome the afternoon JFK arrival and long layover, and partly because it's in F and no other F (or J or even Y) award flights are showing as available for SFO-JFK that day (or the following day, for that matter). I'm reluctant to simply leave it all as it is without calling AA, for fear that AA system will at some point invalidate the itinerary due to the >24 connection.

So...anyone have prior experience with a situation like this? Any chance AA will simply let me keep it as is if I call about it? Or, as a second choice, any chance AA will open up another F award seat for later that day but late enough to make the connection <24? Or, finally, should I simply not contact AA about this at all and assume it will all go without a hitch?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jun 12, 18, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, UA Silver, HH lapsed Diamond, SPG Plat
I see no good coming out of this. In effect you have an invalid ticket, like having a connection below MCT.
Old Jun 12, 18, 5:03 pm

Programs: SPG-PLT100, AA-EXP MR-PLT, HH-DIA
I've ended up with a >24h connection due to a schedule change on a revenue ticket with a partner segment, but have no experience with an award ticket. Similarly, I was happy with the extended layover. I did absolutely nothing - did not call, email, twitter... anything. I called no attention to it whatsoever. Everything went off without a hitch.
Old Jun 12, 18, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb
Originally Posted by asf-07 View Post
I've ended up with a >24h connection due to a schedule change on a revenue ticket with a partner segment, but have no experience with an award ticket. Similarly, I was happy with the extended layover. I did absolutely nothing - did not call, email, twitter... anything. I called no attention to it whatsoever. Everything went off without a hitch.
I was going through my past itineraries - I recall something similar happening to me in the past as well. If they are willing to violate their own ticketing rules, then I don't think it's on you to sort it out for them.
Sometimes I get a new ticket issued when a schedule change occurs - can you check to see if your ticket number is the same or if it's a new one? If it's the latter, I would think that means it's cleared their system.
Old Jun 12, 18, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA MM, DL PM, UA MM, IC Plat Amb, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
I see no good coming out of this. In effect you have an invalid ticket, like having a connection below MCT.
AFAIK, the OP's ticket is valid as it stands. Of course, if the OP were to book it that way intentionally, AA would certainly charge more miles due to the stopover, but it's certainly possible to do so if desired.

I've even gotten approval to keep a connection that fell below MCT due to a schedule change, so there are always exceptions. But in this case, I don't believe an exception is necessary.
Old Jun 12, 18, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the flight number has changed, then the ticket will need to be revalidated or reissued

With it being an involuntary change, I would have expected that AA would allow the rebooking to stand as set by Etihad
Old Jun 12, 18, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
So...anyone have prior experience with a situation like this? Any chance AA will simply let me keep it as is if I call about it? Or, as a second choice, any chance AA will open up another F award seat for later that day but late enough to make the connection <24? Or, finally, should I simply not contact AA about this at all and assume it will all go without a hitch?
A schedule change that forces an over 24 hr. connection should be no problem. If everything has been re-ticketed ok since the change then I would just leave it be.

An award with an over 24 hr. connection is not illegal or "bad" per se, it just requires 2 awards according to AA's award rules. If it has initially been ticketed ok, then it's not as if alarms go off in AA's system that your connection is now over 24 hrs. By comparison, a schedule change which drops a connection below MCT is illegal, and will certainly set off the alarms, etc.
Old Jun 12, 18, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nothing "illegal" about the ticket. It is simply priced lower than it would be priced if it were booked by OP, e.g. 2 vs. 1 awards. No different than any other INVOL reroute where it would cost more to book the new ticket than was paid for the old.

AA was free not to offer this reroute, but it did so.

I would not raise it or make a hassle out of it in any way. OP ought to recognize that if he does seek to make a change in any way, the reissue of will be entirely on him and that might mean a second award. So, savor the extra time, but understand that the ticket is effectively wholly inflexible.
Old Jun 12, 18, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There doesn't seem to be anything in the OP that says that AA offered it or that the ticket has been reissued / revalidated - I would have thought it more likely that EY rebooked the passenger but that AA needs to reticket it

If it has been reissued/revalidated, then nothing to worry about but , if not, still will need to get through AA's ticketing desk
Old Jun 12, 18, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
...In effect you have an invalid ticket, like having a connection below MCT.
No, not similar situations at all.
Old Jun 12, 18, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS MVPG75K,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,SPG Plat,HH Gold,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
I was going through my past itineraries - I recall something similar happening to me in the past as well. If they are willing to violate their own ticketing rules, then I don't think it's on you to sort it out for them.
Sometimes I get a new ticket issued when a schedule change occurs - can you check to see if your ticket number is the same or if it's a new one? If it's the latter, I would think that means it's cleared their system.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
There doesn't seem to be anything in the OP that says that AA offered it or that the ticket has been reissued / revalidated - I would have thought it more likely that EY rebooked the passenger but that AA needs to reticket it

If it has been reissued/revalidated, then nothing to worry about but , if not, still will need to get through AA's ticketing desk
Thanks very much to all for the quick and useful replies. And thanks for the advice about the new ticket number. I hadn't been aware of that. I just checked, and indeed the new itinerary does have a new ticket number. So I figure I'm good to go as is.
Old Jun 12, 18, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks very much to all for the quick and useful replies. And thanks for the advice about the new ticket number. I hadn't been aware of that. I just checked, and indeed the new itinerary does have a new ticket number. So I figure I'm good to go as is.
Indeed, If the ticket has been reissued after the change, then I cannot see that you have anything to be concerned about
Old Jun 12, 18, 6:52 pm

Had this exact situation but with QR on the time change of the PHL DOH flight. AA re issued the ticket no problem despite having a greater than 24 hour connection. And then had an AA skd change and again, agent re issued ticket no problem.
Old Jun 12, 18, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Have you looked at the new ticket and new itinerary very carefully to check that they match?

A trick that usually works to check the current status of a ticket is to go to the Saudia Airlines website and find your ticket using the ticket number to double check. You don't need to know any PNRs for this and it works surprisingly well for most airlines, not just Saudia/SkyTeam partners.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 13, 18, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks again to everyone for the valuable advice.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Have you looked at the new ticket and new itinerary very carefully to check that they match?

A trick that usually works to check the current status of a ticket is to go to the Saudia Airlines website and find your ticket using the ticket number to double check. You don't need to know any PNRs for this and it works surprisingly well for most airlines, not just Saudia/SkyTeam partners.
And thanks for your (as usual) good advice. I've checked carefully, including at the EY website and by calling EY to make sure everything looks in order from their end. But I can't bring up the ticket at the Saudia site. I pluged in the AA 001 code in the first box and then the 10-digit code in the second box, along with my last name. But I get an error message. As a test, I did the equivalent for an SQ ticket I have, and get the same error message. Am I doing something wrong here?

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: