Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by genotonda
You are referencing an int'l itin. Which, I believe, includes beer and wine no matter where you sit. This MCE conundrum involved domestic only.
Is it posted somewhere that International MCE doesn't include spirits? I don't see that exception listed.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767

Since when do AA FAs let company policy get in their way? Have you seen the PDB thread? LOL
The short answer is yes, I've seen it. I feel the point of my post was somehow lost though. The poster I quoted mentioned the caveat Delta publishes, so I figured it may be helpful to some members to post AA's published caveat.
I do indeed realize that if the FA does not follow policy the point is moot.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by AAway
The short answer is yes, I've seen it. I feel the point of my post was somehow lost though. The poster I quoted mentioned the caveat Delta publishes, so I figured it may be helpful to some members to post AA's published caveat.
I do indeed realize that if the FA does not follow policy the point is moot.
Certainly helpful to present the T&Cs. I recall though a similar with B6 when they started to offer free booze to Mosaics, where the free booze was provided on flights which had "full service" which was defined by a timing requirement, rather than distance IIRC. Despite flights that qualified for "full service" according to time, I do remember flights when the FAs offered "limited service". I don't know if AA publishes criteria for "full service".
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Certainly helpful to present the T&Cs. I recall though a similar with B6 when they started to offer free booze to Mosaics, where the free booze was provided on flights which had "full service" which was defined by a timing requirement, rather than distance IIRC. Despite flights that qualified for "full service" according to time, I do remember flights when the FAs offered "limited service". I don't know if AA publishes criteria for "full service".
This may help. It's old though, so I would consider these guidelines and not gospel.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28187803-post11.html
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:57 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by Antarius
I also wonder what happens if people self upgrade to an empty MCE seat. Do they get sent back? Does the tablet tell them whether it is supposed to be empty?
Forgive me FT, for I have sinned. I didn't even know they differentiated MCE more so from basic Y... I decided to move seats in the middle of a flight to exit row ORD-DCA recently. I wasn't offered free alcohol though, but the FAs were ok with me sitting there (both exit rows were 100% empty). I'll have to be more aware of this in the future. Wondering if they kick you back to your original seat or if it depends.

Originally Posted by britz
On June 8 FA charged a few people in MCE for drinks before the other FA pointed out it was MCE and supposed to include a free drink. She had completely forgotten. She settled it by giving everyone she charged a second drink. I’m guessing it will be a month or two before they really remember.

The FA also mentioned there was no way to record the complimentary beverage on the tablet yet like they do for EXP food/beverage.
I call BS on this. Working in the aviation consultancy industry taught me that they have a wealth of data at their finger tips.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Sounds like a mixture of inconsistent and overall poor communication from corporate to their front line employees IE flight attendants about the features of MCE and who are entitled to them.

Does this surprise you?

Originally Posted by donotblink

I, like many other people on here travel heavily for both business and pleasure.

For work, I'm usually taking day trips, or 1-nighters trying to pitch my company's software to banks across the United States. Sales can be a brutal, thankless job, that's taxing on someone's personal life.

Booze helps. I don't think your assessment is fair. I get $75 per day in per diem and generally don't blow it on booze, so I'd be kind of frustrated if I didn't get my free drink with out some quibbling with a FA.

IMO, I don't think asking for a free drink you're supposed to receive is DYKWIA.
Former Business Development Associate here (now in a Sales ops role, more my style. Feel for you, and you are not DYKWIA at all)

Originally Posted by PHL
The worst thing a company, especially an airline, is have an inconsistent product due to lack of frontline training. That's really the core of any complaints about the comp alcoholic beverage policy in MCE.
100%.

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
How often are MCE seats filled with non-status flyers? My cynicism tells me that management would prefer we ask for the benefit as opposed to automatically extending the benefit in order for them to charge the unenlightened. It's dastardly, I know, but it's a sleazy industry.
I have been bumped, automatically seated or bought up MCE more times than flying economy with AA in the past three years. Alot of non-status fliers like me do get seated there. It depends on the route.

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
FTers are much less likely than the general population to scream "bait and switch" because we take far more flights than the average person and have had plenty of interactions with employees where we know the policy better than they do.

Plenty of the passengers sitting in MCE do not have this experience, get charged for a drink despite having paid extra for the seat and saw the message "free drinks" on the screen, so naturally many will think "bait and switch".
Yes, and I would raise hell.

Originally Posted by chrisphx
I think that AA does not want to do this, but they feel they have to in order to keep up with Delta.
Yet, DL has next to no issues.

Originally Posted by TSparky
They get paid to do a job. If reading memos is part of that job, then yes they do get paid to read memos.
I'm going to provide some perspective here. If a FA only gets paid for time in the air, what is the incentive to do anything outside of that? Not trying to defend them, but it is something to keep in mind.

Also, AA crews are not happy at all with corporate.

Originally Posted by jcatman
In reading Gary Leff's article on the topic today:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...h-free-drinks/

It appears FA's are frustrated over implementation of the new policy, and AA management has no idea what is actually occurring on the aircraft.

That sounds familiar.
Heh.

Originally Posted by msr0013
This sounds like they knew the policy and were choosing to make their own rules instead. It's the same as the PDB issues in FC. The FAs have a beef with the company and take it out on the passengers. I'm more and more convinced that the so-called 'toxic' AA culture is actually not from the top down, but starting with the front line employees.
It's all over the company. Similar to UA in some respects.

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I don't see anywhere published that states "Everyone seated in the seats marked as MCE receives the benefits." The link provides states MCE can be purchased for as little as $20 or certain elites receive it for free. The only thing stated about BE is that: "Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats"

I don't see anywhere it states/eludes to "anyone seated" in those seats receives the free drinks or just those that bought it or receive it as an elite member. If it's not everyone in those seats, I agree that it's a HUGE burden on the FA to look up every passenger on the handheld to determine if they get drinks or not.
This makes it so confusing to me as to why they cannot solve the problems to get it right.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I think you make the point... if you move yourself from the back of the plane to an exit (MCE), should you then be entitled to free drinks even though you didn’t pay for them, and had no expectation of ever receiving them?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
IME any remaining MCE seats are getting filled either with BE customers or non-revs so isn't this all really a moot point?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
In the vein of AA FAs not letting company policy get in the way...

Good friend of mine was in MCE as a Platinum who selected his seat for free in accordance with the appropriate booking window.

FA claimed that free drinks were only available to those who actually pay for the seat and that they can see who has paid for the seat. He tweeted at AA who confirmed that she was full of, err, incorrect. That still did not get him his free drink but clearly AA continues to struggle with this rollout.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:21 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I think you make the point... if you move yourself from the back of the plane to an exit (MCE), should you then be entitled to free drinks even though you didn’t pay for them, and had no expectation of ever receiving them?
I wouldn't ask personally or play an entitlement card. I feel that is just rude.

It never gets you anywhere also, with anything airline related. Respect and understanding is better.

It does make me wonder if FAs are going to start enforcing those like me who sometimes move to empty MCE seats.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
I wouldn't ask personally or play an entitlement card. I feel that is just rude.

It never gets you anywhere also, with anything airline related. Respect and understanding is better.

It does make me wonder if FAs are going to start enforcing those like me who sometimes move to empty MCE seats.
I wasn’t referring to ‘you’ personally by the way... but rather ‘you’ as in any individual

Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

I wasn’t referring to ‘you’ personally by the way... but rather ‘you’ as in any individual

I was on a DFW-ORD flight yesterday and going standby took the last seat in very back of plane. FA 's appeared to be a rather new FA, with several seasoned mature FA. The first drink pass was completed, and the seasoned attendants were constantly complaining about MCE, while the new FA was serving all the drinks. It was 30 minutes of how we don't have time to serve coach, while they were literally standing in the back complaining. Its a good thing they don't fly WN with all the drink coupons flying around, and the requirement to ask every customer if they would like "anything else". Why is this a big deal on AA 737-800 with about 5 rows and not a big deal on WN with a whole coach section?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by MrMan
I was on a DFW-ORD flight yesterday and going standby took the last seat in very back of plane. FA 's appeared to be a rather new FA, with several seasoned mature FA. The first drink pass was completed, and the seasoned attendants were constantly complaining about MCE, while the new FA was serving all the drinks. It was 30 minutes of how we don't have time to serve coach, while they were literally standing in the back complaining. Its a good thing they don't fly WN with all the drink coupons flying around, and the requirement to ask every customer if they would like "anything else". Why is this a big deal on AA 737-800 with about 5 rows and not a big deal on WN with a whole coach section?
I love this entire post: "we don't have time"... It's a two hour flight! MCE has what 18 seats? It's not really that much of an ask.

WN aside, within AA the FAs are generally very good on Shuttle about providing a full beverage service (which includes free beer and wine for the entire Y cabin) on a thirty five minute to one hour and ten minute flight. Also, since AA has started using the Embraers, there's only two FAs onboard for some Shuttle flights...

Glad to see the senior FAs showing the junior FAs what "Going for Great" is all about ...
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In fact giving away liquor to the entire cabin would take less time than processing a single credit card?
chrisny2, AAway, DCP2016 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Funny on my recent LGA-ORD flight the lead FA was asking one FA to stay up front for hot towels, nuts and drinks to help out because she had heard terrible stories about this route from other FA's (I'm guessing stories about not being able to complete the full service in FC).
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Funny on my recent LGA-ORD flight the lead FA was asking one FA to stay up front for hot towels, nuts and drinks to help out because she had heard terrible stories about this route from other FA's (I'm guessing stories about not being able to complete the full service in FC).
I don't fly many meal flights domestically at all. ORD and east only but that LGA service is impressive and efficient for 90 mins airtime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.