Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
Grown adults fighting over 1-2 free 8 dollar beers.
One dude even goes for Bayleys!
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by pinniped

Delta has some caveat in their terms about >250 mile flights. I don't know if AA has this, but it's probably a moot point as you don't often get drinks on 30 minute flights to begin with.
The caveat for AA is “full drink service” flights or some similar verbiage.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat / QR Silver
This conversation is borderline absurd at this point. We're talking about $8 drinks. Nobody's lawyering up or suing for damages over this.
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Please oh please tell me you got the FA's name and reported them to AA.
The refusal of FAs to honor an unambiguous policy of their own airline is certainly frustrating, and it just adds salt to the wounds when you're forced to fork over $8 for every beverage you were expecting to get comped. But it's the relative paltriness of this situation compared to many other unfortunate things that happen in the air that makes me worried about lodging complaints. Am I crazy to worry about winding up on a black list of complainers who won't be prioritized on other complaints with AA were I to go ahead and make complaints about this sort of a thing?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
Grown adults fighting over 1-2 free 8 dollar beers.
What kind of beer?

Last edited by jcatman; Jul 12, 2018 at 4:42 am
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by gaggia
unambiguous policy
Amazing how some in this thread find ways to make it ambiguous by adding a bunch of their own non sequiturs to the policy and then claiming virtually no one should be eligible.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Amazing how some in this thread find ways to make it ambiguous by adding a bunch of their own non sequiturs to the policy and then claiming virtually no one should be eligible.
To the contrary? Everyone is eligible except perhaps those who didn’t pay for MCE and weren’t expecting a free beverage anyway.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

To the contrary? Everyone is eligible except perhaps those who didn’t pay for MCE and weren’t expecting a free beverage anyway.
MCE is not a different class of service eligible for an op-up; it is a seat within the ticketed cabin for any economy passenger. Anyone whom AA deemed fit to seat in MCE, including those who are not otherwise entitled to the seat by virtue of their status or having prepurchased the seat, are eligible for free drinks. AA's published policy makes no distinctions on how someone came to be placed in an MCE seat.
DiamondInTheRough likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by AAway

The caveat for AA is “full drink service” flights or some similar verbiage.
Since when do AA FAs let company policy get in their way? Have you seen the PDB thread? LOL
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by linglingfool
MCE is not a different class of service eligible for an op-up; it is a seat within the ticketed cabin for any economy passenger. Anyone whom AA deemed fit to seat in MCE, including those who are not otherwise entitled to the seat by virtue of their status or having prepurchased the seat, are eligible for free drinks. AA's published policy makes no distinctions on how someone came to be placed in an MCE seat.
If the policy is unenforceable in law (contract law) then i don’t see how the policy is as absolute as you think it is. The advertising makes it clear that the benefits come with status, or purchasing MCE. For those categories you can enforce the benefit.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite

If the policy is unenforceable in law (contract law) then i don’t see how the policy is as absolute as you think it is. The advertising makes it clear that the benefits come with status, or purchasing MCE. For those categories you can enforce the benefit.
This definitely isn't a legal question. Alcoholic beverages are supposed to be complementary for anyone who is sitting in main cabin extra regardless of how they ended up sitting there. Flight attendants are not supposed to charge these passengers for beverages. The fact that some flight attendants are unwilling or unable to read documentation that was provided to them on American Airlines policies is concerning. Additionally, the point seems moot, because flight attendants have no way of discerning how anyone came to acquire their seat, by status, paying an extra amount, corporate flying benefits, AAirpass, or by virtue of automatic or gate assignments.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: AA, 3MM
Has anyone ever printed the "policy" out and carried it in their briefcase? If the FA says NO, show them the "policy" and see what they say...….
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

I don't pay for MCE.

I expect a free beverage.

What am I missing?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jcatman
What kind of beer?
Often a lukewarm Bud Lite or similar.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't pay for MCE.

I expect a free beverage.

What am I missing?
’Pay’ in the broadest sense, which includes either $ or eligibility via status.

If you end up in a MCE seat because you’re on standby, but group 9 basic, if the FA decides you aren’t a MCE customer and not entitled to a drink, I don’t know what basis that passenger has to complain.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Mynoles1
Has anyone ever printed the "policy" out and carried it in their briefcase? If the FA says NO, show them the "policy" and see what they say...….
I'll plan to keep a screenshot from the app showing my name, the seat number, and "Complimentary beer, wine and spirits."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.