Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Alcohol is becoming more and more taboo in this country. I wish it went the other way but we seem to be going more and more "conservative" toward alcohol in this country, which is NOT a good thing.
No way. The proliferation of craft brewing and distilling has made alcohol more omnipresent and integrated into our culture, at least in the major population centers. It's been great to see breweries, beer halls, etc. acting as social gathering spaces cutting across a multitude of demographic attributes. And, at least in the many cities I've been to, I've seen a relaxation on alcohol consumption in the public domain as a matter of policy, with more and more pop-up biergartens, catered outdoor concerts, and other venues receiving permitting approval and sponsorship from municipalities.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
So, is this thread going to resemble the PDB thread where posters report PDB success or failure, or a debate on craft beer? Hoping for the former and frankly it’s kind of remarkable that AA would two threads dedicated to provision of drink reports whereas reports of such from DL and UA are infrequent at best...
jcatman, catawba and safari ari like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:08 pm

4 for 4 on MCE booze this week. I asked for doubles a couple of the time, and the couple times I asked, they were free. Once the FA twisted both open, and once the FA left me both unopened. I guess "policy" is they must be consumed on board, but I've never had that happen before, that they opened both minis to prevent me taking it unopened off the plane.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
LAX-DFW in PE dba MCE no problem with getting a double. However, they never came around after the 1st service until just before landing.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by TSparky
LAX-DFW in PE dba MCE no problem with getting a double. However, they never came around after the 1st service until just before landing.
they won't do a separate beverage service just for MCE. My experience with ringing the cocktail button above my head for a refill has been excellent so far. If you're in the front 3 rows of coach, it's usually the F FA who responds/refills. Exit row MCE takes a little longer. Surprisingly, no attitude is dispensed with the refill.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
DEN-JFK even on a 1am red eye, was given doubles no issue, just that they didn't have woodford stocked, so just my issue.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by safari ari
DEN-JFK even on a 1am red eye, was given doubles no issue, just that they didn't have woodford stocked, so just my issue.
.....that's the new normal.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by jcatman
.....that's the new normal.
I've never had an issue with the last ~10 segments I've done in the past month.

Maybe I'm just taking the last ones on your flight 😜
jcatman likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:21 am
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
PBI-CLT on Friday--no charge and the LAA FA brought doubles without asking!
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, WN, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HY, Global Entry
So I have been waiting to order a drink in MCE to give plenty of time for word to get around. I decided to try today on a Compass operated Eagle flight LAX-PDX. FA said that will be $8. I said aren't they free in MCE? FA said huh? I said, Main Cabin Extra, aren't the drinks supposed to be free? FA looked like they still weren't sure what I was talking about, but they gave it to me.

I don't get it. This concept seems so simple compared to other stuff they have to learn.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum - Lifetime
Originally Posted by catawba
So I have been waiting to order a drink in MCE to give plenty of time for word to get around. I decided to try today on a Compass operated Eagle flight LAX-PDX. FA said that will be $8. I said aren't they free in MCE? FA said huh? I said, Main Cabin Extra, aren't the drinks supposed to be free? FA looked like they still weren't sure what I was talking about, but they gave it to me.

I don't get it. This concept seems so simple compared to other stuff they have to learn.
I was on a flight from Charlotte to Vegas Wednesday seated in MCE. Flight attendant insisted MCE only gets one free drink. Several people on my row were charged for extra drinks. It is clear that AA has not communicated this very well. I sent a complaint to AA about the situation and they haven't responded as of yet. I realize it is relatively new and most customers aren't even aware of it but if you don't report it they will never get it communicated. As a lifetime Platinum I really like this change especially since they devalued my status by introducing a Platinum Pro level.
LovePrunes and catawba like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Recent MCE flight.....there were some obvious inexperienced flyers in MCE (maybe BE?) and they were asking what was available when the FA came around.....she mentioned everything but alcohol. She didn't charge my non-status friend sitting next to me for a bloody mary (but gave her tomato juice instead of mr & ms t's as the mixer!) and someone else near me asked about free drinks in MCE and her reply was something like: oh yea, i guess that too now.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:23 pm
Suspended

I have had a few FA's on several carriers, attempt to charge me for drinks in E+, MCE or whatever the carrier's term is. In each case the premium Y product is supposed to offer FREE drinks. I usually chalk it up to the FA forgetting what row they are in..on some planes there is no immediately obvious visual distinction between E and E+..other times I think they just forget the specifics of the product, but once on an AK flight I was suspicious that the FA was trying to steal cash by neglecting to mention that the drink was complimentary and saying it was cash only. AK went cashless on board in 2009, and premium econ gets a free drink.

I set her straight and she said nothing and gave me my drink.
ESPECIALROB likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, WN, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HY, Global Entry
Originally Posted by catawba

So I struck out again on my second attempt, this time on mainline PHX-CLT. FA charged other people before me in MCE. After I placed my order, FA looks at their handheld and then looks at me funny and says "you're not EP?". I said no, Main Cabin Extra drinks are no charge, right? FA looked puzzled and worked on the handheld. Then FA figured it out, said thanks and smiled.

So then people in my row are like wait a minute, I just got charged! FA proceeds to give refunds. I was suddenly the most popular person in my row. They said "we're going to have a 2nd round!". This actually made it fun.
controller1 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Apparently they have a training problem at AA. Amazing how many cabin crew don't know how MCE works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.