Search

FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:18 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Are PSA FA's unionized like their mainline counterparts? If not then AA should just fire this individual as there are probably 100 other people in line who will take his job.
I'm pretty sure the subsidiaries are unionized. And even so, one rude incident doesn't normally get someone fired. And if this FA was unaware of the new policy, then that also falls on the airline to insure the workforce is properly notified.

As for people in line for a FA job, that is quite true. In 2016 it's reported that Delta had 150,000 applicants for about FA 1000 positions. People see a flight attendant job posting and think it's the glamour of the 1960's until they find that they are flying 8 short hops per day to small cities like Albany and Allentown instead of long haul routes to London and Paris until they build up 10-15 years seniority.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by spycygrl
I flew LAX-JFK in late July and sat MCE 12D. The girl across the aisle ordered a glass of wine and the FA charged her. When the FA turned to me, I mentioned that MCE was supposed to get complimentary cocktails and she said, "No, only Exec Platinum."

I recommend having a screenshot of the email on your phone to show FAs (without needing WiFi to pull up the email itself).

This is ridiculous - it's an advertised benefit, no customer should ever have to argue with them over this or come armored into MCE with a screen shot.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by AAdamE

This is ridiculous - it's an advertised benefit, no customer should ever have to argue with them over this or come armored into MCE with a screen shot.
And yet, 3 months later, here we still are.....
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by AAdamE

100% agreed.
Just to clarify, I was merely suggesting a way to avoid a tussle on the flight, not suggesting that American shouldn't make sure all FA's follow the rules.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 6:45 pm

I flew LAX-JFK in late July and sat MCE 12D. The girl across the aisle ordered a glass of wine and the FA charged her. When the FA turned to me, I mentioned that MCE was supposed to get complimentary cocktails and she said, "No, only Exec Platinum."

I actually pulled up the June 5 email I had received about "complimentary drinks in MCE" and showed it to her. She looked shocked. She said, "I didn't even know about this." She went away, talked to the head FA, came back and said, "You are absolutely right. I'm so sorry." and then had to refund the woman across the aisle (who thanked me). I was, however, in the row just behind bulkhead so don't know whether those folks got a refund.

I recommend having a screenshot of the email on your phone to show FAs (without needing WiFi to pull up the email itself).
OMG...I can’t believe this. How is it that flight attendants aren’t aware of a such a significant policy change? It’s pretty scary.
spycygrl and AANYC1981 like this.

Last edited by rumboj; Aug 29, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
100% agreed.
Just to clarify, I was merely suggesting a way to avoid a tussle on the flight, not suggesting that American shouldn't make sure all FA's follow the rules.
Oh trust me I have had to have that email ready at least three times, wether for the free drink or because they thought it was just beer/wine (I like my bloodies sorry not sorry). I should just start paying for it, and then file a complaint for a refund so maybe they can start to get the message and track down the folks that haven't been trained.
spycygrl, AANYC1981 and rumboj like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by rumboj

OMG...I can’t believe this. How is it that flight attendants aren’t aware of a such a significant policy change. It’s pretty scary.
Makes you kinda wonder what else they aren't aware of...
AANYC1981, Marschel and rumboj like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
So what do FT's think the overall problem is? I can't imagine it to be a lack of notice/memo. Did they just forget or not pay attention? Do they not want to perform the extra service? I am just trying to figure out the underlying issue here. For any company I have ever worked for when there is a company wide directive you just don't forget about it, weren't trained on it, or had someone remind you...
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
So what do FT's think the overall problem is? I can't imagine it to be a lack of notice/memo. Did they just forget or not pay attention? Do they not want to perform the extra service? I am just trying to figure out the underlying issue here. For any company I have ever worked for when there is a company wide directive you just don't forget about it, weren't trained on it, or had someone remind you...
The crazy thing is that I would actually think the FAs would PREFER it, since having to grab a credit card and run it thru takes extra time. I've had tons of FAs over the years not charge me for drinks, anyway, even when I wasn't EXP. But, it is a great question. I'm sure Corp sent out more than one email about it.i
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Angry

The crazy thing is that I would actually think the FAs would PREFER it, since having to grab a credit card and run it thru takes extra time. I've had tons of FAs over the years not charge me for drinks, anyway, even when I wasn't EXP. But, it is a great question. I'm sure Corp sent out more than one email about it.i
I 100% agree. Almost every time I have tried to use a drink cert.(DL) or pay for one they just say this one is on us as they don't want to bother running the card or using the machine to scan the voucher. But, the underlying issue about training remains..

EDIT: To add, sometimes only one FA has the card reader/scanner so they don't want to have to go and get it from the other FA to make the purchase or scan (Don't blame them one bit).
chrisny2 likes this.

Last edited by AeRoSpaceman; Aug 29, 2018 at 9:59 pm Reason: EDIT to add
Old Aug 29, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
I think the question is, how are they training the FA's on this? Is it just a small mention in a long email that no one reads? Or is there some real training?
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
My sense is that its a combination of not caring or some believing Y paxs (even those seated in MCE) shouldn't be entitled to free drinks. Training, really. The "training" consists of a pax sitting in a Y seat with the blue markings of MCE is entitled to free alcoholic beverages. How could that be possibly hard to understand? My sense is that its probably LAA FAs that "aren't going the memo" as they seem to be the ones that either ignore company policy (like PDBs in F) or adapt to their own beliefs (like serving only warm water or OJ for PDBs.)
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:15 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I think the question is, how are they training the FA's on this? Is it just a small mention in a long email that no one reads? Or is there some real training?
What shape would this "real training" take?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
What shape would this "real training" take?
I don't know. I don't think anyone on here would know unless they are an actual FA (or trainer/management). My question is, what is the method that these FA's are learning this through?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
I don't know. I don't think anyone on here would know unless they are an actual FA (or trainer/management). My question is, what is the method that these FA's are learning this through?
email/memo......some don’t even bother reading them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.