FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Old Aug 17, 2018, 10:57 am

I flew CLT-ORD and then ORD-CLT a week apart and got a free drink in my non-bulkhead, non-emergency exit MCE seat each way. LAA crew on the way up and LUS crew on the way back.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by GWFan
I flew CLT-ORD and then ORD-CLT a week apart and got a free drink in my non-bulkhead, non-emergency exit MCE seat each way. LAA crew on the way up and LUS crew on the way back.
Did you ask for seconds and were denied, or just wanted one drink each way? Were you proactively offered a second?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PHLesq
Flew PHL-AUS 8/10 in MCE (A319). FA comped drinks for pax in bulkhead row but charged all others in MCE. I told her I understood drinks should be comped. She asked me why, and I pointed to the "MCE" label above my seat. She replied that only pax in bulkhead and exit row seats were entitled to free drinks. I politely explained that the website said different. She replied again with the same explanation -- only bulkhead and exit row.
The LUS A321s generally have MCE designated only on bulkhead and exit rows so maybe she was thinking along that narrow logic? Although the sign should have clarified that....
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:55 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
LHR-PHL row 25 (one of the 2 MCE rows on the entire plane due to just being exit/bulkhead). As many orders of double Titos given as I asked for, no charge. Same attendant each time. 2 times on the normal service, 3rd time I went to the back to ask.
jcatman likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Uzzar
Did you ask for seconds and were denied, or just wanted one drink each way? Were you proactively offered a second?
Only one drink service on each flight. Didn't ask for seconds.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:15 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Was told on a PSA flight today that only 1 drink is free and all others are paid. I showed the website that says "spirits are on us" but he didn't care and was VERY rude that I was questioning it. I paid up and will submit to AA for a charge-back. Time for someone to start a Class Action suit or sue for false advertising if they're going to advertise one thing and refuse to honor it months after it's implemented?
chitink and AAdamE like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Time for someone to start a Class Action suit or sue for false advertising if they're going to advertise one thing and refuse to honor it months after it's implemented?
Are you asking for someone else to do it? Or are you volunteering? Either way, good luck!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:52 pm

Was told on a PSA flight today that only 1 drink is free and all others are paid. I showed the website that says "spirits are on us" but he didn't care and was VERY rude that I was questioning it. I paid up and will submit to AA for a charge-back. Time for someone to start a Class Action suit or sue for false advertising if they're going to advertise one thing and refuse to honor it months after it's implemented?
Hopefully, you got his name and include that in your submission to AA so that he can be reprimanded. These flight attendants may only learn through reinforcement based on punishment.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Been flying back and forth DFW-DEN the past few weeks. Most flights, I have been in MCE. First time I did it, I ordered my drink. FA told me how much it was. I pointed out I was in MCE and drinks were no charge. That was that and no issues. Other flights where I was in MCE and ordered a drink, no problem. I haven't always ordered one, though. One flight DEN-DFW, there was no drink service. This past Friday, I just decided not to have one.

So, overall, it's been a fine. They never have offered free booze. Also, it seems like not may other PAX take advantage. Guessing many have no idea.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:53 pm

LAX-JFK today. Ordered a double G&T and she didn't charge.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:52 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
ORD-BOS last night; ordered Sam Adams with drink service. Attendant later came back around with another for me asking if I'd like a 2nd (of course I did).
apeortdz and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by dmodemd
The LUS A321s generally have MCE designated only on bulkhead and exit rows so maybe she was thinking along that narrow logic? Although the sign should have clarified that....
But aren't LAA planes normally staffed by LAA FAs?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Are PSA FA's unionized like their mainline counterparts? If not then AA should just fire this individual as there are probably 100 other people in line who will take his job.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I have to say its rather absurd that a policy change that was initially discussed in Sept 2017 and announced in Jan 2018 with a release date of "spring 2018" that was later pushed back until June is still not something these "professionals" can handle 3 months after launch. Pushing the date out to make sure you can get things right makes sense but to do that and then still screw things up 3+ months later is really inexcusable. How hard would it be to have their handhelds that already know about EXP/OWE also indicate to the FA which rows are MCE and eligible for free drinks (rhetorical question, its not hard in fact its intern level work)? I thought the internet cowboys recommending lawsuits back in June were a bit over the top and still don't see how that would work other than making some lawyers happy but a CC chargeback does seem quite appropriate and one would think that if enough of them came through the cost of processing those would get the attention of someone who could fix this.
AANYC1981 and Marschel like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I flew LAX-JFK in late July and sat MCE 12D. The girl across the aisle ordered a glass of wine and the FA charged her. When the FA turned to me, I mentioned that MCE was supposed to get complimentary cocktails and she said, "No, only Exec Platinum."

I actually pulled up the June 5 email I had received about "complimentary drinks in MCE" and showed it to her. She looked shocked. She said, "I didn't even know about this." She went away, talked to the head FA, came back and said, "You are absolutely right. I'm so sorry." and then had to refund the woman across the aisle (who thanked me). I was, however, in the row just behind bulkhead so don't know whether those folks got a refund.

I recommend having a screenshot of the email on your phone to show FAs (without needing WiFi to pull up the email itself).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.