FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
That seems to be for international economy class. This is for MCE which now includes free beer, wine & spirits on domestic flights.
Well sort of. When I go into the MCE section and click "free snacks and drinks" the link actually says "Main Cabin Food" and states the language I bolded above. So free spirits are available to MCE flights to Europe?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by SFTNYC

I did point it out to the FA - the reason given when I asked was "beer & wine only" and I didn't want to argue...
no argument required. A simple "your website indicates that spirits are included, in addition to beer and wine. Would you like me to show it to you on my phone ?"
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
Well sort of. When I go into the MCE section and click "free snacks and drinks" the link actually says "Main Cabin Food" and states the language I bolded above. So free spirits are available to MCE flights to Europe?
Seems to be:

EXP/CK in MCE - Free wine beer and spirits and 1 food item
EXP/CK in Y- 1 free drink and 1 food item
MCE (D/I) - Free wine beer and spirits
Regular Y to Japan, SYD, AKL and HKG - Free wine beer and spirits
Regular Y long haul intl - Free wine and beer
Regular Y - None.
apeortdz and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:24 am

Was sitting in exit row (which the row # says Main Cabin Extra right on it) and was denied a free drink (had to pay for it). The flight attendant was pretty smug and told me: "I know it's confusing but MCE is only the first four rows." If I had thought of it, I would have pulled up a seat map on my phone and showed that selecting the exit row pops up the MCE message with free drinks.

Oh well - I guess I'll just request a refund.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by crazcarl
Was sitting in exit row (which the row # says Main Cabin Extra right on it) and was denied a free drink (had to pay for it). The flight attendant was pretty smug and told me: "I know it's confusing but MCE is only the first four rows." If I had thought of it, I would have pulled up a seat map on my phone and showed that selecting the exit row pops up the MCE message with free drinks.

Oh well - I guess I'll just request a refund.
Definitely complain and ask for a refund.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Sounds like a mixture of inconsistent and overall poor communication from corporate to their front line employees IE flight attendants about the features of MCE and who are entitled to them.

travelgeek1197 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
Sounds like a mixture of inconsistent and overall poor communication from corporate to their front line employees IE flight attendants about the features of MCE and who are entitled to them.

Which, given they all have tablets, is surprising. This should be a fairly easy rollout.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by britz
She settled it by giving everyone she charged a second drink.
How exactly did she think that settled it?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by darkguy2
On my flight today I sat in a MCE seat. Having heard about the new changes to MCE with free alcohol I decided to try it out, but the FA told me I had to pay. Am I missing something or was the FA just not properly informed? It was not a regional flight.
<br /><br />I would have charged it to my Credit Card and then call for a chargeback along with the evidence that it should have been comped. In addition I would have written into AA.Com for them to retrain the flight staff about the new policy.<br /><br />When Delta began their free spirits in Delta Comfort+ there was some getting used to and some flight attendants were charging for it.<br /><br />It helps to have printed copy of the policy to show to a Flight Attendant who is trying to charge for something that should be included int he price of your ticket.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by danielonn
<br /><br />I would have charged it to my Credit Card and then call for a chargeback along with the evidence that it should have been comped. In addition I would have written into AA.Com for them to retrain the flight staff about the new policy.<br /><br />When Delta began their free spirits in Delta Comfort+ there was some getting used to and some flight attendants were charging for it.<br /><br />It helps to have printed copy of the policy to show to a Flight Attendant who is trying to charge for something that should be included int he price of your ticket.
This is a bit of overkill for a free drink.

Looking at the other complaints you have lodged recently, you seem to be having quite a tough time !
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:12 pm

Hopefully this helps some folks, I was charged for drinks on a flight last Thursday. I asked the FA if the drinks were included in MCE now, she said they were but I wasn't sitting in MCE (I was in the exit row, with an MCE placard above it), then followed that by saying it was only rolled out on certain planes. I shot a polite email out to customer service on Friday and got this response:

"I am so sorry you were told that you did not get free drinks in your MCE seat. That information was incorrect.
I have reported the flight attendants on (flight#) to Flight Service management so they can make sure they are updated on the new perks of MCE. On all MCE seats with FULL beverage service passengers get free drinks (beer, wine and spirits) starting June 5, 2018. As an apology and gesture of goodwill for this I have added 2,500 bonus miles to you AAdvantage account.

(name), thank you for bringing this to our attention and we look forward to flying with you again soon.
Sincerely,
(name)
Customer Relations
American Airlines"

I asked about getting a refund for the purchased drinks, but she kind of ignored that part of my original email, the points balance it out a bit though.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Rather obvious to me....
Seems rather clear to me.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by jd991
Hopefully this helps some folks, I was charged for drinks on a flight last Thursday. I asked the FA if the drinks were included in MCE now, she said they were but I wasn't sitting in MCE (I was in the exit row, with an MCE placard above it), then followed that by saying it was only rolled out on certain planes. I shot a polite email out to customer service on Friday and got this response:

"I am so sorry you were told that you did not get free drinks in your MCE seat. That information was incorrect.
I have reported the flight attendants on (flight#) to Flight Service management so they can make sure they are updated on the new perks of MCE. On all MCE seats with FULL beverage service passengers get free drinks (beer, wine and spirits) starting June 5, 2018. As an apology and gesture of goodwill for this I have added 2,500 bonus miles to you AAdvantage account.

(name), thank you for bringing this to our attention and we look forward to flying with you again soon.
Sincerely,
(name)
Customer Relations
American Airlines"

I asked about getting a refund for the purchased drinks, but she kind of ignored that part of my original email, the points balance it out a bit though.
IIRC, the drinks you buy on board are tied to your ticket number, you can just go to prefunds.aa.com and put in your ticket number but on the comments explain that it's only for the drink.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
just thinking out loud here, but how long until someone complains that the FA wouldn't serve them a 2nd drink (by pushing the button with a pic of a person serving a beverage) between normal beverage service intervals...
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Has anyone had success with this on Eagle? I have a flight coming up on Thu on Republic in MCE. If the mainline FA's are inconsistent with the new policy, I can only imagine it's worse on regional.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.