Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Sounds like a very confused FA.. and I wonder what they thoughts "spirits" were??
If you're from a working class background, you may have never heard "spirits." It's a bit of a prissy term.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Heck could have just pointed to your overhead bin, which likely at this point has the sticker that says "Main Cabin Extra."

All of this is inexcusable to me. FA's get pre-flight memos all the time, every day of news and things for the airline. The MCE bit about free alcohol is surely in there, they just choose not to read or pay attention to their policy apparently.
Do FAs get paid for the time it takes them to read memos?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
I have been in MCE on every flight I have taken since the new policy came out. On my 2nd flight, the flight attendant did not know the rule apparently, so I had to let her know. After that, before getting on the plane, I pull up the page on the website that indicates free drinks and have it on my phone.

One guy was willing to pay, out of his own pocket, for drinks even though he was in MCE. The flight attendant did not charge me because I knew the policy, but she was going to charge him even after I told him about the policy. I made sure that he got them for free as well, as he was in MCE.

I think that AA does not want to do this, but they feel they have to in order to keep up with Delta.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by amanuensis
Do FAs get paid for the time it takes them to read memos?
They get paid to do a job. If reading memos is part of that job, then yes they do get paid to read memos.
Kevin AA likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by chrisphx
I have been in MCE on every flight I have taken since the new policy came out. On my 2nd flight, the flight attendant did not know the rule apparently, so I had to let her know. After that, before getting on the plane, I pull up the page on the website that indicates free drinks and have it on my phone.

One guy was willing to pay, out of his own pocket, for drinks even though he was in MCE. The flight attendant did not charge me because I knew the policy, but she was going to charge him even after I told him about the policy. I made sure that he got them for free as well, as he was in MCE.

I think that AA does not want to do this, but they feel they have to in order to keep up with Delta.
<bolding mine>

I hope that is not the case, but I sure like your assertiveness in making sure other passengers are able to enjoy this new AA "secret" benefit.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by jcatman
<bolding mine>

I hope that is not the case, but I sure like your assertiveness in making sure other passengers are able to enjoy this new AA "secret" benefit.
Those of us that have to pay for MCE are well aware of the benefits... it is advertised as part of the selection/payment process. I guess if passengers are upgraded into the cabin they may not be aware.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF

Those of us that have to pay for MCE are well aware of the benefits... it is advertised as part of the selection/payment process. I guess if passengers are upgraded into the cabin they may not be aware.
If it's advertised "as part of the selection/payment process" when the ticket is booked, then the crew should be informing passengers sitting in MCE about the benefit when they order a beverage.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 10:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
If it's advertised "as part of the selection/payment process" when the ticket is booked, then the crew should be informing passengers sitting in MCE about the benefit when they order a beverage.
Really? I've never had a flight attendant in First Class say something about beverages being free.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by chrisny2
Really? I've never had a flight attendant in First Class say something about beverages being free.
They would if you pulled out your wallet. Try it.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
My point was that no one is missing out on their free drinks here. If, like me, you have to pay for MCE then you know you are entitled to free drinks and you can mention this to the FA if they try to charge. Frequent flyers with status getting them MCE should also be aware of the changes. And can also speak for themselves.

A passenger who has not paid for MCE, but is seated there on a full flight may not be aware. What's the loss to anyone?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
My point was that no one is missing out on their free drinks here. If, like me, you have to pay for MCE then you know you are entitled to free drinks and you can mention this to the FA if they try to charge. Frequent flyers with status getting them MCE should also be aware of the changes. And can also speak for themselves.

A passenger who has not paid for MCE, but is seated there on a full flight may not be aware. What's the loss to anyone?
You have an interesting viewpoint there.

I believe there is, indeed, a "loss"........the loss of goodwill and respect for an airline that does not offer a consistent product and/or enforce consistent policies.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by davie355
If you're from a working class background, you may have never heard "spirits." It's a bit of a prissy term.
Maybe they had not heard the term before, but when it is used as part of an offering of "free beer, wine and spirits" it should impart a clue, or at least cause one to ask "what does that word mean"..
Old Jun 26, 2018, 7:53 am

In reading Gary Leff's article on the topic today:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...h-free-drinks/

It appears FA's are frustrated over implementation of the new policy, and AA management has no idea what is actually occurring on the aircraft.

That sounds familiar.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:29 am

There is no excuse for this rollout. AA announced this in January for "spring" implementation and then delayed it until June. Plenty of time to educate FAs (even the lazy ones) and also program the tablets to not accept payments for beverages for MCE passengers.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:50 am

I've had similar experiences as a lot of others in this thread. On most flights they won't even mention payment, on a few of them I've heard FAs mention "Oh, these are complimentary now, right?". You tell me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.