FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by msr0013
Has anyone had success with this on Eagle? I have a flight coming up on Thu on Republic in MCE. If the mainline FA's are inconsistent with the new policy, I can only imagine it's worse on regional.
I find regional FAs to be better about this actually. And if they aren't sure, they usually let it go.

when the EXP free snack etc was first introduced it was way better at giving me one than mainline.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by Antarius
Seems to be:

EXP/CK in MCE - Free wine beer and spirits and 1 food item
EXP/CK in Y- 1 free drink and 1 food item
MCE (D/I) - Free wine beer and spirits
Regular Y to Japan, SYD, AKL and HKG - Free wine beer and spirits
Regular Y long haul intl - Free wine and beer
Regular Y - None.
Pretty crazy to have this level of complexity for something that doesn't exactly cost them a lot. I mean how much is a spirit than beer/wine? And why not make the MCE and EXP benefit consistent in terms of number (either way)? That could at least simplify to free beer, wine, and spirits (one of many) for MCE and EXP and then if they really want to do something special for Japan, SYD, AKL, HKG they could do the same for all Y?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 5 MM, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Hogwarts Express
Regional Policy

Flying on CR900 next week. Just clicked on my seat assignment (MCE) and a pop-up shows the following "Complimentary beer, wine and spirits."
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:27 am

Instead, we could all chip in and buy him a drink.

DON
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by crazcarl
Was sitting in exit row (which the row # says Main Cabin Extra right on it) and was denied a free drink (had to pay for it). The flight attendant was pretty smug and told me: "I know it's confusing but MCE is only the first four rows." If I had thought of it, I would have pulled up a seat map on my phone and showed that selecting the exit row pops up the MCE message with free drinks.

Oh well - I guess I'll just request a refund.
Heck could have just pointed to your overhead bin, which likely at this point has the sticker that says "Main Cabin Extra."

All of this is inexcusable to me. FA's get pre-flight memos all the time, every day of news and things for the airline. The MCE bit about free alcohol is surely in there, they just choose not to read or pay attention to their policy apparently.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Amb
Originally Posted by msr0013
Has anyone had success with this on Eagle? I have a flight coming up on Thu on Republic in MCE. If the mainline FA's are inconsistent with the new policy, I can only imagine it's worse on regional.
Originally Posted by Antarius
I find regional FAs to be better about this actually. And if they aren't sure, they usually let it go.

when the EXP free snack etc was first introduced it was way better at giving me one than mainline.
I had a Compass flight last Thursday 6/7, and FA served complimentary drinks to MCE. I agree that regional FAs are better about this stuff - I am 100% on PDB's on regional flights - definitely not the case on mainline.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:46 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
Heck I'll represent him free of my usual charge,

of course I'm not licensed yet but I'm good at writing strongly worded letters
but can you write an effective brief.....
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HIltonHonors Diamond, KrisFlyer Silver, BW Diamond
I have to laugh, I read dozens of post about a free drink on MCE...could have kept going, Funny thing is as a regular passenger I have ordered a beer several times and where I hold up my credit card and the FA just shakes their head to decline it.

I don't sweat the small stuff and things usually work out...

Frankly there are many people on here that need to get a life and stop worrying about your "entitlements".

Originally Posted by darkguy2
On my flight today I sat in a MCE seat. Having heard about the new changes to MCE with free alcohol I decided to try it out, but the FA told me I had to pay. Am I missing something or was the FA just not properly informed? It was not a regional flight.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by wolfie52
Frankly there are many people on here that need to get a life and stop worrying about your "entitlements".
For most of us it's not a choice between one or the other -- I have a fantastic life and I try to fully enjoy what I'm entitled to.
AAway, IAHtraveler, plon and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
The same could be said about gaining self-gratification by judging the actions/opinions of others.
AAway, wrp96, TSparky and 4 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I have to laugh, I read dozens of post about a free drink on MCE...could have kept going, Funny thing is as a regular passenger I have ordered a beer several times and where I hold up my credit card and the FA just shakes their head to decline it.

but you care to waste your time reading “dozens of posts”? 😂😂😂😂
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold

Your "air of superiority" is noted and will certainly be remembered on this website.
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I, like many other people on here travel heavily for both business and pleasure.

For work, I'm usually taking day trips, or 1-nighters trying to pitch my company's software to banks across the United States. Sales can be a brutal, thankless job, that's taxing on someone's personal life.

Booze helps. I don't think your assessment is fair. I get $75 per day in per diem and generally don't blow it on booze, so I'd be kind of frustrated if I didn't get my free drink with out some quibbling with a FA.

IMO, I don't think asking for a free drink you're supposed to receive is DYKWIA.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:52 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA

Great for you that you've been so fortunate to get a freebee once in a while. I've been given comps, and I suspect many other "regular" passengers also have. Your free beer is nothing unique or special so no - none of us sweat these things much either.

But this is a new policy that AA has advertised and marketed heavily...they want to attract Delta passengers who may be on the fence about a flight that - all things considered equal - one offers comp booze and the other doesn't. Their data shows that some people value that. AA would NEVER have matched their MCE benefits to the DL Comfort + benefits. It's only a matter of time before the MCE cabin is part of the upgrade pecking order.

The worst thing a company, especially an airline, is have an inconsistent product due to lack of frontline training. That's really the core of any complaints about the comp alcoholic beverage policy in MCE.
DCAstudent and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

You've read dozens of posts on this topic and WE need to get a life. Yep.
Seriously though I don't "worry" about them, I just expect to receive what I have earned. I do not consider them entitlements any more than I will consider Social Security an entitlement when I begin getting my money (and that of my employers) back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.