FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Reply

Old Jun 11, 18, 10:15 am
  #31  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 17,363
Originally Posted by SFTNYC View Post
That seems to be for international economy class. This is for MCE which now includes free beer, wine & spirits on domestic flights.
Well sort of. When I go into the MCE section and click "free snacks and drinks" the link actually says "Main Cabin Food" and states the language I bolded above. So free spirits are available to MCE flights to Europe?
enviroian is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 18, 10:25 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Posts: 6,967
Originally Posted by SFTNYC View Post

I did point it out to the FA - the reason given when I asked was "beer & wine only" and I didn't want to argue...
no argument required. A simple "your website indicates that spirits are included, in addition to beer and wine. Would you like me to show it to you on my phone ?"
cynicAAl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 18, 10:50 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Posts: 4,867
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Well sort of. When I go into the MCE section and click "free snacks and drinks" the link actually says "Main Cabin Food" and states the language I bolded above. So free spirits are available to MCE flights to Europe?
Seems to be:

EXP/CK in MCE - Free wine beer and spirits and 1 food item
EXP/CK in Y- 1 free drink and 1 food item
MCE (D/I) - Free wine beer and spirits
Regular Y to Japan, SYD, AKL and HKG - Free wine beer and spirits
Regular Y long haul intl - Free wine and beer
Regular Y - None.
apeortdz and AANYC1981 like this.
Antarius is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 18, 11:24 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 20
Was sitting in exit row (which the row # says Main Cabin Extra right on it) and was denied a free drink (had to pay for it). The flight attendant was pretty smug and told me: "I know it's confusing but MCE is only the first four rows." If I had thought of it, I would have pulled up a seat map on my phone and showed that selecting the exit row pops up the MCE message with free drinks.

Oh well - I guess I'll just request a refund.
crazcarl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 18, 11:26 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: AA
Posts: 9,773
Originally Posted by crazcarl View Post
Was sitting in exit row (which the row # says Main Cabin Extra right on it) and was denied a free drink (had to pay for it). The flight attendant was pretty smug and told me: "I know it's confusing but MCE is only the first four rows." If I had thought of it, I would have pulled up a seat map on my phone and showed that selecting the exit row pops up the MCE message with free drinks.

Oh well - I guess I'll just request a refund.
Definitely complain and ask for a refund.
wrp96 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 18, 11:36 am
  #36  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Frisco, TX
Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Posts: 17,363
Sounds like a mixture of inconsistent and overall poor communication from corporate to their front line employees IE flight attendants about the features of MCE and who are entitled to them.

travelgeek1197 likes this.
enviroian is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 18, 11:46 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Posts: 4,867
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Sounds like a mixture of inconsistent and overall poor communication from corporate to their front line employees IE flight attendants about the features of MCE and who are entitled to them.

Which, given they all have tablets, is surprising. This should be a fairly easy rollout.
Antarius is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 18, 12:20 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 367
Originally Posted by britz View Post
She settled it by giving everyone she charged a second drink.
How exactly did she think that settled it?
sethMCOflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 18, 12:37 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Traveling the World
Posts: 5,170
Originally Posted by darkguy2 View Post
On my flight today I sat in a MCE seat. Having heard about the new changes to MCE with free alcohol I decided to try it out, but the FA told me I had to pay. Am I missing something or was the FA just not properly informed? It was not a regional flight.
<br /><br />I would have charged it to my Credit Card and then call for a chargeback along with the evidence that it should have been comped. In addition I would have written into AA.Com for them to retrain the flight staff about the new policy.<br /><br />When Delta began their free spirits in Delta Comfort+ there was some getting used to and some flight attendants were charging for it.<br /><br />It helps to have printed copy of the policy to show to a Flight Attendant who is trying to charge for something that should be included int he price of your ticket.
danielonn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 18, 4:02 pm
  #40  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 41,822
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
<br /><br />I would have charged it to my Credit Card and then call for a chargeback along with the evidence that it should have been comped. In addition I would have written into AA.Com for them to retrain the flight staff about the new policy.<br /><br />When Delta began their free spirits in Delta Comfort+ there was some getting used to and some flight attendants were charging for it.<br /><br />It helps to have printed copy of the policy to show to a Flight Attendant who is trying to charge for something that should be included int he price of your ticket.
This is a bit of overkill for a free drink.

Looking at the other complaints you have lodged recently, you seem to be having quite a tough time !
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 18, 4:12 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 2
Hopefully this helps some folks, I was charged for drinks on a flight last Thursday. I asked the FA if the drinks were included in MCE now, she said they were but I wasn't sitting in MCE (I was in the exit row, with an MCE placard above it), then followed that by saying it was only rolled out on certain planes. I shot a polite email out to customer service on Friday and got this response:

"I am so sorry you were told that you did not get free drinks in your MCE seat. That information was incorrect.
I have reported the flight attendants on (flight#) to Flight Service management so they can make sure they are updated on the new perks of MCE. On all MCE seats with FULL beverage service passengers get free drinks (beer, wine and spirits) starting June 5, 2018. As an apology and gesture of goodwill for this I have added 2,500 bonus miles to you AAdvantage account.

(name), thank you for bringing this to our attention and we look forward to flying with you again soon.
Sincerely,
(name)
Customer Relations
American Airlines"

I asked about getting a refund for the purchased drinks, but she kind of ignored that part of my original email, the points balance it out a bit though.
jd991 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 18, 4:42 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: PHL
Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Posts: 754
Rather obvious to me....
Seems rather clear to me.
Uncle Nonny is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 18, 5:00 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New York City
Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Elite
Posts: 1,150
Originally Posted by jd991 View Post
Hopefully this helps some folks, I was charged for drinks on a flight last Thursday. I asked the FA if the drinks were included in MCE now, she said they were but I wasn't sitting in MCE (I was in the exit row, with an MCE placard above it), then followed that by saying it was only rolled out on certain planes. I shot a polite email out to customer service on Friday and got this response:

"I am so sorry you were told that you did not get free drinks in your MCE seat. That information was incorrect.
I have reported the flight attendants on (flight#) to Flight Service management so they can make sure they are updated on the new perks of MCE. On all MCE seats with FULL beverage service passengers get free drinks (beer, wine and spirits) starting June 5, 2018. As an apology and gesture of goodwill for this I have added 2,500 bonus miles to you AAdvantage account.

(name), thank you for bringing this to our attention and we look forward to flying with you again soon.
Sincerely,
(name)
Customer Relations
American Airlines"

I asked about getting a refund for the purchased drinks, but she kind of ignored that part of my original email, the points balance it out a bit though.
IIRC, the drinks you buy on board are tied to your ticket number, you can just go to prefunds.aa.com and put in your ticket number but on the comments explain that it's only for the drink.
donotblink is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 18, 6:03 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Posts: 6,967
just thinking out loud here, but how long until someone complains that the FA wouldn't serve them a 2nd drink (by pushing the button with a pic of a person serving a beverage) between normal beverage service intervals...
cynicAAl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 18, 7:03 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: DCA
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 47
Has anyone had success with this on Eagle? I have a flight coming up on Thu on Republic in MCE. If the mainline FA's are inconsistent with the new policy, I can only imagine it's worse on regional.
msr0013 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread