Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by DCP2016
Unless those were Non-rev's, the FA did the wrong thing and needs to be punished for not following company protocol.

Stop it already defending a company/person you are personally not related to/own.
Those without a built in entitlement to MCE seats (elite passengers or paid MCE passengers), arent entitled to the free adult beverages benefit of MCE such as Basic Economy passengers. So unless you know the ticket type or status of the person being refused free booze, you dont know if the FA is following policy or not.

Originally Posted by controller1
And in your opinion when would the FA be doing the right thing by denying free drinks in MCE?
When its a passenger that isnt automatically entitled to a MCE seat like a Basic Economy passenger.

Originally Posted by genotonda
Except status has no bearing on the drinks included for MCE seats.
Well yes it does, because only passengers with elite status that are entitled to MCE or passengers with paid MCE seat assignment get the free drinks.

This is no different than Alaska and their premium class seats which are like managed like MCE, you get no “benefits” of the seat unless youve paid for it or are an AS elite that gets one.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
Paid MCE and about to board a 10 AM flight.... Lets hope the FA doesn’t think it’s too early for a drink....
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles
This is no different than Alaska and their premium class seats which are like managed like MCE, you get no “benefits” of the seat unless youve paid for it or are an AS elite that gets one.[/left]
Please advise where anything is published that contradicts AA.com such that anyone seated in MCE with a BP for that seat does not get MCE benefits.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...abin-extra.jsp
linglingfool likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:55 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by serfty
Please advise where anything is published that contradicts AA.com such that anyone seated in MCE with a BP for that seat does not get MCE benefits.

I don't see anywhere published that states "Everyone seated in the seats marked as MCE receives the benefits." The link provides states MCE can be purchased for as little as $20 or certain elites receive it for free. The only thing stated about BE is that: "Basic Economy fare tickets aren't eligible for complimentary/discounted access to Main Cabin Extra seats"

I don't see anywhere it states/eludes to "anyone seated" in those seats receives the free drinks or just those that bought it or receive it as an elite member. If it's not everyone in those seats, I agree that it's a HUGE burden on the FA to look up every passenger on the handheld to determine if they get drinks or not.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty

That page even lists that it costs before listing the benefits then also calls out elite access to those seats. Id say thats fairly clear about who gets benefits of MCE.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
The policy as written says free drinks are tied to the seat regardless of the how the seat was acquired. If you sit in MCE you get free drinks.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles

That page even lists that it costs before listing the benefits then also calls out elite access to those seats. Id say thats fairly clear about who gets benefits of MCE.
Agree. If you get op-up'ed to MCE (not via payment or elite status) then the benefits don't have to apply. Where's the contractual arrangement? No payment, no cause of action.

No different from any other op-up where the amenities can be determined or withdrawn by the airline.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Had no problem getting multiple rounds of drinks on LAA MIA-JFK.

In fact I think I had better service/more refills than FC. The service was all done from carts in FC so that was your only time to get a refill unless you when to the galley.

Last edited by AANYC1981; Jul 9, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Agree. If you get op-up'ed to MCE (not via payment or elite status) then the benefits don't have to apply. Where's the contractual arrangement? No payment, no cause of action.

No different from any other op-up where the amenities can be determined or withdrawn by the airline.
But this simple benefit - a drink that's available - should.

This is different from an F meal, where they may only load meals to serve passengers they know about, and wouldn't have time to load more if they have to op-up people at the gate. That's understandable. You'd still get the rest of the F service (drinks, smaller snacks, etc.) but a meal from J or Y.

In these cases where MCE pax are getting denied, it sounds more like the FA being a jerk - not a concern that the flight is going to run out of all beverages because more people ended up in MCE than they thought.

Sidebar: whenever I've received an op-up from the check-in counter (as opposed to the gate), I've had no problem using the lounge associated with my newly-ticketed cabin.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by colpuck
The policy as written says free drinks are tied to the seat regardless of the how the seat was acquired. If you sit in MCE you get free drinks.
Exactly. Why is this so hard for people to understand ? The MCE benefit has not stated exceptions based on how one gets to that seat. The benefits come with the seat, regardless of how you got there.

Last week, I saw a woman in a center non-MCE seat move to an empty middle exit row (MCE) seat after boarding was complete. The FA can obviously see on her handheld that this is an unassigned seat, but served alc anyway, and let her stay. I don't think it's reasonable to expect FAs to police seats and benefits based on fare class or worthiness.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I agree that the benefits come with the seat...but I also believe FAs can (and often should) prevent outright seatpoaching. My "benefits with the seat" position isn't intended to condone sneaking into better cabins/subcabins.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Last week, I saw a woman in a center non-MCE seat move to an empty middle exit row (MCE) seat after boarding was complete. The FA can obviously see on her handheld that this is an unassigned seat, but served alc anyway, and let her stay. I don't think it's reasonable to expect FAs to police seats and benefits based on fare class or worthiness.
There was discussion on this on the travel blogs, and IIRC it seemed to be AA's position that pax could move after take-off and they would entitled to the benefits of those seats.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:07 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
Exactly. Why is this so hard for people to understand ? The MCE benefit has not stated exceptions based on how one gets to that seat. The benefits come with the seat, regardless of how you got there.

Originally Posted by pinniped
I agree that the benefits come with the seat...but I also believe FAs can (and often should) prevent outright seatpoaching. My "benefits with the seat" position isn't intended to condone sneaking into better cabins/subcabins.
Not trying to argue, just curious where AA has stated the benefits come with the seat? I agree that they *should* and the FA shouldn't be required to look up who gets free drinks based on status/other, I just haven't seen anything from AA that explicitly states that everyone in those seats gets the benefits.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Not trying to argue, just curious where AA has stated the benefits come with the seat? I agree that they *should* and the FA shouldn't be required to look up who gets free drinks based on status/other, I just haven't seen anything from AA that explicitly states that everyone in those seats gets the benefits.
From "https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/experience/seats/main-cabin-extra.jsp"

All benefits are listed for those having their seats in MCE. How you gain access varies from being bought, to elite level eligibility, to companions of qualified elites on same reservation.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Originally Posted by AA's MCE page
Beer, wine and spirits are on us
And there's a photo of the seat with an open bottle of Tito's. No disclaimers, asterisks, reference to elite status, or anything else. Sit in MCE; Enjoy your Tito's. It's pretty clear. Clear as vodka.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.