Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FA Charging For Liquor/Drinks in MCE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by maxmnx
SFO to DFW today: FA said no free drinks (I didn't want one) and charged the 2 people next to me in MCE.

When will the policy trickle down?
Did they pay for MCE or elites that were entitled to MCE? Or possibly were they basic economy passengers that happened to get MCE?

Originally Posted by AANYC1981

jesus what is with this company?
Without knowing why those passengers were in MCE, you don’t know if the FA was wrong or right.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by milesandmoremiles

Did they pay for MCE or elites that were entitled to MCE? Or possibly were they basic economy passengers that happened to get MCE?

Without knowing why those passengers were in MCE, you don’t know if the FA was wrong or right.
Is there a written policy somewhere that states that specific individuals are not entitled to the free drinks? Serious question, not sarcasm. Do the little tablets actually tell them what fare the passenger is on?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by genotonda
Is there a written policy somewhere that states that specific individuals are not entitled to the free drinks? Serious question, not sarcasm. Do the little tablets actually tell them what fare the passenger is on?
I feel if the tablet told the FAs who shouldn't and should get a free drink, this thread would be empty with people not getting charged. If they can't follow a policy that was pushed back, how are they going to decipher each individual's seat fare class.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by genotonda
The tablets do denote passenger status and such. So it would show who is entitled to drinks and then those passengers entitled to drinks and a food item.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

I'm not sure why those matter. If I'm in First, I'm still treated as other First Class passengers whether I've paid for the seat, have been upgraded or placed in the seat during IRROPS because it was the last seat available.

Why should it matter in MCE?
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
SFO to DFW today: FA said no free drinks (I didn't want one) and charged the 2 people next to me in MCE.

​​​​​​
This sounds like they knew the policy and were choosing to make their own rules instead. It's the same as the PDB issues in FC. The FAs have a beef with the company and take it out on the passengers. I'm more and more convinced that the so-called 'toxic' AA culture is actually not from the top down, but starting with the front line employees.
diburning likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles

Please oh please tell me you got the FA's name and reported them to AA.

Things like this make me more and more convinced to stay loyal with WN and DL, at least they don't pull this crap.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
I'm not sure why those matter. If I'm in First, I'm still treated as other First Class passengers whether I've paid for the seat, have been upgraded or placed in the seat during IRROPS because it was the last seat available.

Why should it matter in MCE?
It matters because some people are so quick to claim the FA is not doing the right thing when they actually might be.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles

It matters because some people are so quick to claim the FA is not doing the right thing when they actually might be.
Unless those were Non-rev's, the FA did the wrong thing and needs to be punished for not following company protocol.

Stop it already defending a company/person you are personally not related to/own.
controller1 likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold

Based upon my experience with American FA's versus the FA's at United, making that claim against American FA's is easy to do with confidence.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

And in your opinion when would the FA be doing the right thing by denying free drinks in MCE?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:38 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP

The tablets do denote passenger status and such. So it would show who is entitled to drinks and then those passengers entitled to drinks and a food item.
Except status has no bearing on the drinks included for MCE seats.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by controller1
And in your opinion when would the FA be doing the right thing by denying free drinks in MCE?
If a non-status passenger was on an economy basic fare, but assigned a seat in MCE at the airport (last seat left), they have not paid for those seats, nor have they entered into any arrangement with the airline (based on status) where they are expecting a free drink. Why should they get one?

But I do agree that at this stage, FAs not knowing the policy is unacceptable.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
If a non-status passenger was on an economy basic fare, but assigned a seat in MCE at the airport (last seat left), they have not paid for those seats, nor have they entered into any arrangement with the airline (based on status) where they are expecting a free drink. Why should they get one?
By this logic should OP-UP passengers not be served meals?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by davie355
By this logic should OP-UP passengers not be served meals?
I think it's a bit more complex than you're trying to make out. There are other factors at play besides just the spare seat needed in the case of an op-up. There's status, and also the airlines want to maintain the appearance and amenity of their F offering (you don't necessarily want to create an environment for paying F customers where the person beside them is constantly told 'no sorry, you're an op-up you can't have anything).

But on a more general note - it's not uncommon for op-ups to have to go without catering. This happens in many parts of the world - sometimes it's even printed on the boarding pass ('catering not assured'). It's also not uncommon for airlines to op-up but refuse ground services such as lounge access.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Jul 9, 2018 at 6:38 am Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.