Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Motley Fool June 2018 Article Paints Unflattering Picture of AAL

Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:31 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite

You should always consider the source. This was published today by a writer for Motley Fool.

"It can't be fun to be American Airlines (NASDAQ: AAL) CEO Doug Parker right now. His company has experienced massive non fuel cost increases over the past few years. Now that the carrier is finally reining in controllable costs, fuel prices have surged, creating a new headache. Meanwhile, American has the weakest balance sheet of any major U.S. airline."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ameri...154000372.html
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by controller1
You should always consider the source. This was published today by a writer for Motley Fool.
Income statements and balance sheets are objective facts. There are theses that authors reach that can be subjective - and not always persuasively argued.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:55 pm
Suspended

In investing, Motley Fool is the last source for opinion. If you think the armchair CEOs on Flyertalk and A.net are bad, the armchair investors in Motley Fool takes opinionated invest tips to another level.

But that being said, no doubt AAL has some debt issue to deal with. I firmly believe Doug knows what he was doing (yet I dislike his vision on operations as a flyer). Most of AAL's debt is due to aircraft financing deals made with Airbus and Boeing and the bankruptcy legacy issues (from my understanding). Thus these are controllable if you believe both Airbus and Boeing value one of their biggest customer to survive. Boeing especially have vested interests to see AAL going healthy and strong, when you see how big the order book is and the potential order book to replace the big fleet of B738 in 1 decade of time. So is Airbus, it will only hope AAL to keep ordering A321 when this a/c type approaches retirement age.

Then, on the fuel cost side. AAL came out top by not hedging after all. AAL will continue to benefit when fuel price going up as its young fleet and fuel saving aircraft will start to show payoffs once some of the S80, B757 and B767 are gone for good. The medium term outlook is certainly good. AAL will benefit the most if fuel price continue to rise.

As long as AAL's debts are signed into a fixed rate, I would not worry at all. In fact, that would only be AAL's winning point if that is the case. I think we need to consider the context before side with Motley Fool. For me, the article is just another personal opinion, which had been written several times during last 3 years. The same opinion just came out every quarter attacking AAL's debt issue without quoting what the debt issue is and why it is. No need to panic yet, at least no one in AAL and its investors are slightly concerned at all.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
The Motley Fool is only slightly more reliable than The Onion.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I wouldn't be surprised if The Onion actually has had more predictive power over its history
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Wasn't Motley Fool the one that insisted that United close its Dulles hub.?

Emphasis on fool from that website...
JetAway likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:25 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Which is why I prefaced the article with

Originally Posted by controller1
You should always consider the source.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:10 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Hey, I like The Onion, and it's much funnier than the Motley Fool.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
When I read the article, the author seemed to be a PR spokesperson for United Airlines. While he was slamming AA for not being able to reduce capacity-- and raise fares-- because of UA's planned 5% annual growth for the next three years. And that in the next recession such a situation would be financially straining for AA. He failed to grasp that UA having much more capacity in the market when that same recession hits, would be even more damaging to UA.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
To be fair though, it doesn't take a genius or someone with a business degree to tell that Doug Parker is a poor CEO. He could learn a thing or two from Ed Bastian/Gary Kelly.

I'm also all for bringing Tom Horton back. Heck I'll take Gerard Arpey back.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 7:14 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
The ultimate FlyerTalk conundrum, defend Doug Parker because you like American or agree with someone who attacks the both of them.
akcae, oopsz and jhartvu like this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DCP2016
To be fair though, it doesn't take a genius or someone with a business degree to tell that Doug Parker is a poor CEO. He could learn a thing or two from Ed Bastian/Gary Kelly.

I'm also all for bringing Tom Horton back. Heck I'll take Gerard Arpey back.
yech. No Arpey.

I dislike Parker, but I think he has much more business acumen than Scott Kirby or Smisek or Arpey.

I also though Horton did a decent job. He seemed to have a brain and started the fleet renewal and product overhaul. Arpey was responsible for NGBC. A product that was out of date when it was installed.
Thunderroad and schertz like this.

Last edited by Antarius; Jun 10, 2018 at 8:43 pm
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Antarius
yech. No Arpey.

I dislike Parker, but I think he has much more business acumen than Scott Kirby or Smisek or Arpey.
I'll definitely take Parker over Kirby or Smisek LOL.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:04 pm

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
Where’s Bob?
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by DCP2016
I'll definitely take Parker over Kirby or Smisek LOL.
And yet the author of this article was praising Kirby's aggressive growth strategy at United.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.