Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: New SDFC / Same Day Flight Change Restrictions 8 Jun 2018

Guide: New SDFC / Same Day Flight Change Restrictions 8 Jun 2018

Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The agents on the telephone are not , afaik, managers

I do believe in consistency - that in a situation such as reservations agents, that there should definitely be consistency - it is not reasonable that what outcome is availabile depends on the mood of the agent
Nordstrom's front line staff aren't managers either. Front line people should have discretion to solve customer problems if customer satisfaction is important. The mood of the agent was never an issue with the old ExPlat desk. Now everyone other than CK is treated equally shabbily, no matter what the mood of the agent.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by beachfan
Nordstrom's front line staff aren't managers either. Front line people should have discretion to solve customer problems if customer satisfaction is important. The mood of the agent was never an issue with the old ExPlat desk. Now everyone other than CK is treated equally shabbily, no matter what the mood of the agent.
Customer satisfaction is not necessarily important ; if someone wants to make a change that is not permitted for a same day change, then it doesn't matter if the customer will only be satisfied if allowed it

Conversely, a customer should not be declined a change if it should be allowed

What should never be happening is that the outcome depends on which agent takes the call - if the policy is not liked, then that is something that is different
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Customer satisfaction is not necessarily important
Yes, we know your position on that.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:50 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Is there still an issue with tickets that have been upgraded to J in "R" inventory aren't able to do SDFC (into Y)?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
So, if I understand it, SDC is for discount coach, AFC is for ticketed first/business. What is the criteria to do AFC? Is it any seat in the same cabin on the desired flight? Is it same booking inventory (e.g., D, I, C, A)? Is it valid on award itineraries?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
So, if I understand it, SDC is for discount coach, AFC is for ticketed first/business. What is the criteria to do AFC? Is it any seat in the same cabin on the desired flight? Is it same booking inventory (e.g., D, I, C, A)? Is it valid on award itineraries?
Correct re: same booking inventory, at least for revenue tickets.

I have no idea re: awards but I imagine that's the rule, which means that it's really no benefit at all.

I have continued to be successful in changing coach awards booked in T, when there was E space but not T space, although it took nearly an hour last week (agent looked at the AA website, agreed that it said sAAver tickets were included, agreed that there wouldn't be any 'benefit' to the benefit if T space was required, and couldn't find whatever she was looking for to rely on to deny me the flight change).
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Correct re: same booking inventory, at least for revenue tickets.
That's not much of a benefit, then. If I am ticketed in I or C and want to change within 24 hour of the new flight, the likelihood of I or C being available is essentially nil.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
That's not much of a benefit, then. If I am ticketed in I or C and want to change within 24 hour of the new flight, the likelihood of I or C being available is essentially nil.
I isn't bad -- often so long as there's J2, there will be I1.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by donotblink
Is there still an issue with tickets that have been upgraded to J in "R" inventory aren't able to do SDFC (into Y)?
I’ve not tested recently but I suspect if you call in and ask them to downgrade to Y (assuming there is still a seat) then SDFC works again. Smarter agents know to do that. Sometimes when I get an agent who says no SDFC options show up when I know there is a flight that has E I will instruct them to downgrade to Y and then it works.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:09 pm

Possible?

Trying to SDFC my flight tomorrow from LAX-JFK-LHR.

First I was told SDFC not eligible for Milesaaver tickets, then was told by other agents that it doesn't matter what availability I see, all that matters is they press a button and if a route shows up, good, otherwise no.

I'm booked in U all the way; right now EF shows 2 J seats and 1 C for the earlier flight, but no U. They are also saying that there needs to be availability for the second leg, but I don't want to switch the second leg.

I just want to leave on an earlier flight for leg 1. Is this impossible? Should I try to fix this tomorrow early at the airport? If so, better to try a gate agent or the Flagship Lounge?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by lindnuck
Trying to SDFC my flight tomorrow from LAX-JFK-LHR.

First I was told SDFC not eligible for Milesaaver tickets, then was told by other agents that it doesn't matter what availability I see, all that matters is they press a button and if a route shows up, good, otherwise no.

I'm booked in U all the way; right now EF shows 2 J seats and 1 C for the earlier flight, but no U. They are also saying that there needs to be availability for the second leg, but I don't want to switch the second leg.

I just want to leave on an earlier flight for leg 1. Is this impossible? Should I try to fix this tomorrow early at the airport? If so, better to try a gate agent or the Flagship Lounge?
Welcome to FT, @lindnuck! Sorry no one replied in time for your flight. How did it go? My understanding is that, unfortunately, original booking inventory needs to be available for SDFC, as well as 'E' inventory. So, without U on your desired flights, it doesn't seem promising. Hope you got lucky.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Has anyone been able to SDFC on a milesaver ticket recently? Just HUCA'd twice and both agents insisted that T inventory had to be available. I pushed back saying that's not really a benefit, because if T had become available then I could change it anytime, not just SDFC. I also mentioned that E class is available on both flights. However both agents were unable to SDFC, only offered standby.

Incredibly frustrating because aa.com clearly shows that milesaver tickets are eligible for SDFC.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Has anyone been able to SDFC on a milesaver ticket recently? Just HUCA'd twice and both agents insisted that T inventory had to be available. I pushed back saying that's not really a benefit, because if T had become available then I could change it anytime, not just SDFC. I also mentioned that E class is available on both flights. However both agents were unable to SDFC, only offered standby.

Incredibly frustrating because aa.com clearly shows that milesaver tickets are eligible for SDFC.
Unfortunately, my understanding is that both E and original inventory (i.e., T in your case) need to be available. You might have better luck at the gate or in a club.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Unfortunately, my understanding is that both E and original inventory (i.e., T in your case) need to be available. You might have better luck at the gate or in a club.
That means SDFC is no longer a benefit for saaver awards. Because if T was available I could have made that change any time, not just at the 24h SDFC window.​​​​ In that case aa needs to update their website to more accurately reflect this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.