Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Will I be able to check in for International flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador

Found a great deal to China in J that has me routing through LAS: LAS-DFW-PEK-DFW-LAS. Of course, living in DFW I have to position to get there. The plan was to fly DFW-LAS arriving 8:02 and LAS-DFW departs 8:57.

On DL on same day turns I’m unable to check in for the return until I’ve flown the outbound. Is the same true for AA? Will it matter that these will be separate PNRs? So Can I check in for both flights before leaving DFW? Most worried about inability to show a passport in LAS an hour in advance in the event App checkin isn’t working.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
IMHO, 8:02-8:57 is too tight of a connection, especially when connecting to a longhaul international itinerary. Allow more time to be on the safe side.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Found a great deal to China in J that has me routing through LAS: LAS-DFW-PEK-DFW-LAS. Of course, living in DFW I have to position to get there. The plan was to fly DFW-LAS arriving 8:02 and LAS-DFW departs 8:57.

On DL on same day turns I’m unable to check in for the return until I’ve flown the outbound. Is the same true for AA? Will it matter that these will be separate PNRs? So Can I check in for both flights before leaving DFW? Most worried about inability to show a passport in LAS an hour in advance in the event App checkin isn’t working.
AA doesn't have the same restriction as DL, as soon as you're within 24 hrs you can check in. You dont have to fly the other flights first and it doesn't matter if it's a separate PNR.

However, for an itinerary involving China I'd be surprised if online and/or app check-in works given that they need to verify your Chinese visa. They will be able to check you in though in person at DFW. Just arrive at DFW a little early and ask a check-in agent to also check you in for your 2nd PNR starting in LAS. I've done similar things several times, also involving China.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36
IMHO, 8:02-8:57 is too tight of a connection, especially when connecting to a longhaul international itinerary. Allow more time to be on the safe side.
I’m less worried about this aspect as historically this is the same plane. In the event I misconnect I have a 17 hour layover in DFW and more than enough time to get back there.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I agree with JJeffrey. Manual document verification by an agent is probably still required for Mainland China before boarding passes can be issued.

Any AA airport ticket counter location worldwide has the software to check you in for any itinerary departing within 24 hours. However, you might need to ask more than one agent if the first one is not sure how to do it. Ask nicely, and if the agent says it cannot be done, say "please try....here is the PNR code...."
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MichaelKade

Your connection is short, particularly given that on separate PNRs you’ll have to go landside, recover checked baggage, check in with your next airline, go through security, etc.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - You do not have a connection and should not think of your LAS situation as a connection. Given that your LAS-PEK and return ticket will be cancelled if anything goes wrong with your separate ticket, you should fly to LAS the night before and then start out in the AM.
MichaelKade likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - You do not have a connection and should not think of your LAS situation as a connection. Given that your LAS-PEK and return ticket will be cancelled if anything goes wrong with your separate ticket, you should fly to LAS the night before and then start out in the AM.
Would you feel comfortable with four hours? I can move the start LAS-DFW-PEK to 12.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no such thing as "comfortable" on a general basis. As you can imagine, the more time you allow, the lower the risk.

For an 8:57 AM departure, I would unhesitatingly fly in the night before. Think of it as a hedge against the money you saved on the ticket.

Also, watch for changes and IRROPS. If there is a significant change in the TPAC ticket, AA will accommodate with most available routings. In that case, you would simply have AA reissue the ticket as DFW-PEK and eliminate the LAS-DFW segment. Your positioning ticket will retain its value less $200, presuming that it's a standard domestic penalty fare, you will avoid a hotel, and have a more pleasant journey.
MichaelKade likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:24 am

Also, do you have a Chinese visa? As I understand it you can go for 144 hours without an advance visa, but you must be arriving and departing from two different countries. As you are USA - Beijiing - USA that wouldn't qualify, even if you have different cities within the same country.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not understand all the concern here.

Assuming the DFW-LAS flight turns right back around and operates the LAS-DFW flight as mentioned, and the OP has been checked in for both PNRs in DFW, then there is little to no risk of missing the flight in LAS. A delay on the DFW-LAS means the LAS-DFW will also be delayed.

Even if the LAS-DFW wasn't on the same plane and DFW-LAS was delayed, AA still protects on separate tickets, it would be no problem to get rebooked onto a later LAS-DFW flight given that the DFW-PEK connection isn't until the next day.

I've flown positioning flights and separate tickets like this TONS of times, and have had a variety of irrops happen too, and in all cases the AA agents are generally very helpful in trying to get you where you need to be regardless of the number of tickets or PNRs.
SamOF likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
The one problem I see is if OP has checked bags... will they check them through to PEK on his positioning flight? If not he may not make the checked baggage cutoff time for his intl PNR.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Collierkr
The one problem I see is if OP has checked bags... will they check them through to PEK on his positioning flight? If not he may not make the checked baggage cutoff time for his intl PNR.
OP is flying DFW-LAS-DFW on day 1 then DFW-PEK on day 2 so checked baggage is not an issue. Any baggage that he/she needs to check for the main portion of the trip can just be checked at DFW on day 2 prior to the DFW-PEK flight.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

I have no checked bags (thankfully). Hadn’t planned to bring any luggage to LAS given the extended layover in DFW. May not be a bad idea in the event I’m rerouted.

Any chance I’ll be able to SDC to a later LAS-DFW flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.