Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Question re Trying to Catch an Earlier Flight (standby, SDFC, change)

Old Jun 8, 18, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum AA, LatinPass Million Miler

I'm scheduled to fly PHX to GRR next Thursday leaving at 2:00 and not getting home until almost midnight. My schedule has changed, so that I can leave PHX earlier that day. As a new Platinum, is there any advantage to my status for traying to catch an earlier flight? When/where can I request to change my flight? I've not done this before. Thanks for your help.
Old Jun 8, 18, 4:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by vandykes44 View Post
I'm scheduled to fly PHX to GRR next Thursday leaving at 2:00 and not getting home until almost midnight. My schedule has changed, so that I can leave PHX earlier that day. As a new Platinum, is there any advantage to my status for traying to catch an earlier flight? When/where can I request to change my flight? I've not done this before. Thanks for your help.
You can pay $75 for a confirmed change starting 24 hrs before the flight. Pull up your reservation at aa.com or in the AA app to see change options. You can also just go to the airport before the earlier flight and ask the check-in agent to put you on the standby list, no fee for this as a PLT.
Old Jun 8, 18, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Exp (2020 is first and last year). Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'd add that traveling standby with checked luggage can be a problem. I'm not saying to just give up and pay the $75. If flights are open enough, sometimes they will confirm you. As you're traveling home, it might not be a big deal if your bag gets delayed. But it's possible you will get a song and dance about how you can only clear at the gate and they can't move your bag to the right flight.

If you're not checking a bag, you can just go to the gate. The seat map will give you some clue (assuming you don't have Expert Flyer) but remember there could be 20 seats showing open but 20 other confirmed passengers without seat assignments.
Old Jun 8, 18, 8:21 am

Programs: American Airlines, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by vandykes44 View Post
Also check if your flight times change or are delayed. A few weeks ago i wanted to go on an earlier flight because I saw my original flight was delayed by 1:30 hours . Jumped in my car from work, and called AA on the drive to the airport to get put on the waitlist for standby (if flight was empty) or pay the $75. As i was talking to the PLT call line agent, she saw my original flight was delayed and offered to move me to the other flight automatically without the $75 fee. I said yes, and saved my company $75
Old Jun 8, 18, 8:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
See

Domestic Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CFC / "Standby"

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

The Wikiposts atbthe top of the page condense a lot of information.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: