Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aggressive, Vulgar Behavior from Uniformed Non-AA Pilot Passenger

Aggressive, Vulgar Behavior from Uniformed Non-AA Pilot Passenger

Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:25 pm

no, not a fact, source?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Which might occur with a shaken fist or a "why, I oughta..." threat, yes?
No. An assault is basically a swing and a miss--not an "I oughta . . .".

I gave you the LEGAL definition of an assault.

And, yes, I am a lawyer.

Last edited by Always Flyin; Jun 9, 2018 at 5:52 am
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by DCP2016
Yeah every other argument aside, this could've been resolved peacefully by the pilot just saying politely "could you please quiet down a little?" or speaking to the FA (he is a pilot after all, they would take his remarks safely).
Perhaps he did and they didn't hear him since they were speaking so loudly they could barely hear him.

Since they didn't listen to him since they refused to be intimidated, what makes you think they would have listened had be been more polite?

Self-centered people tend to remain self-centered no matter how polite one is.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by skylady
no, not a fact, source?
And your basis for stating it is not true?

And what difference does it make? We know for certain it was not an American Airlines pilot.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I want to know what late evening flight had multiple empty seats in F???? Wonder if it was one of those 10:30 pm LAX-DFW type flights.
No kidding. Couldn't have been LAX-DFW since that has a two-hour time zone change and is more than a 90-minute flight.

Originally Posted by smuDC-10
This pilot was way out of line. I don't know why he couldn't have politely asked the OP to maybe quiet down if he was bothered by the conversation. Like some have said, you never know what you will get on a plane. I have been kept awake by drunks, babies, loud talkers, snorers, flight attendants, turbulence, warm cabins, cold cabins, bathrooms, bright lights etc etc etc. You just have to roll with the punches sometimes. And while I try to be respectful of others around me, there are many times where I have spent quite a lot on premium tickets for myself and family and if we want to talk quietly on a redeye to Europe or play cards with each other after a nightcap to fully enjoy the experience I feel I'm well within my right to do that.
Exactly how do you know the pilot didn't ask them politely and they weren't listening? Even when he got testy, they weren't listening.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
When I am flying overnight, I come prepared with a full array of sleep "weapons". Eye mask, ear plugs, baseball cap, and pillow. I'm not to the Ambien stage, but we may still there.

You simply don't know when you're going to be on a flight with a night owl, an uncomfortable baby, a couple being giggly/amorous, or someone who has insomnia.
Or rude, loud, obnoxious, self-rightous passengers on a purported 90-minute flight who "refuse to be intimidated" and quiet their conversation so as to be civil and polite in public.
GunsOfNavarone likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by rickg523
Why not say a leprechaun was hidden in the pilot's footwell and it was this malevolent little green man who was bothering the pilot every time he closed his eyes? There's just as much justification for that theory as for saying these people were shouting at one another.
Your premise is incorrect. It is a possibility that the two pax were shouting at each other. A leprechaun in the footwell is not a possibility. So, there is not just as much justification for the theory that you posit as there is for the possibility that shouting was occurring.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by rjw242
Reading is unquestionably within the realm of things it's considered acceptable to do on an airplane.
Which was not my question.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by PHL
On an airplane, people are free to do whatever they want to within the parameters of the airline policies and FAA regs. There is nothing in either of those "books" that would prohibit 2 passengers from conversing or someone from having their reading light on.
So is it your view that, so long as something is not prohibited by law, you are going to do it, even if doing it is not civil or polite to others around you?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:25 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I never drink alcohol. But I have noticed that alcohol tends to transform people into loud cackling drunks. I despise loud and I despise cackling. I'm okay with drunks, as long as they're not loud and they don't cackle. Do we have any credible witnesses who will verify that the OP was neither loud nor cackling? AFAICT from the story, the pilot's verbalizations ranged from "muttering" to "loud muttering". I'm not aware of any law against muttering. Nor am I aware of any law against loud cackling. If I actually had the choice, I'd prefer loud muttering to loud cackling. Either way, it comes with the territory of frequent flying. I think people need to be more tolerant of others.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:26 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by UA Apologist
So is it your view that, so long as something is not prohibited by law, you are going to do it, even if doing it is not civil or polite to others around you?
So is it in your view that, so long as you don't like something someone's doing they should stop even if they are not violating any policies or laws? Is it all about you when you're sharing a space with 200 other people?

To answer your probing question (you sound like a lawyer, btw)....I will - unlike some people - use some judgement in my actions that may have an effect on other people - especially in the confines of an airplane cabin. I will use headphones to listen to my PED. I will speak in a hushed tone to have a conversation with my seat mate - whether it is night time or day time. I will also use the reading light if I need it because, well, that's what it's there for. Most of them are pretty focused to the specific seat and I've slept on airplanes and had no issue with others using a reading lamp - with or without an eye mask.

It sounds like, based on your posts in this thread, everyone should sit down, shut up and don't even think about turning the reading light on if you need it. Maybe you should petition the airlines to remove them. Dougie might love the idea because It will reduce some dead weight and save fuel costs. Heck, they might be able to justify another row in coach with the savings.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:38 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by 1P
The fact is that Americans, especially American women, are conditioned to speak more loudly than some other nationals. It's not a generalization, but a fact. It starts in high school, where you need to put an edge on your tone in order to be heard in the crowd. (This is a musician speaking.) Most Americans are not aware that they are doing it.
Anecdotal evidence on your part only forms an opinion for you. I've been to enough places outside the USA to throw water on your "fact".
Old Jun 9, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Always Flyin

And, yes, I am a lawyer.
<redacted>

Your definition describes attempted battery in most places, not assault. Assault is generally any attempt—which can often take the form of words or gestures—to make the victim reasonably fear imminent touching or offensive physical contact. “Why I oughta” muttering from someone who physically can prevent you from leaving your enclosed space could certainly qualify.

Under the general definition, there is zero requiment that the physical contact is actually attempted, or that there is actually an ability to make physical contact—all that matters is that the assailant makes the victim reasonably fear that it’s going to happen.
chrisboote likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 9, 2018 at 9:00 am Reason: Redacted personal attack - warning!
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Always Flyin

And, yes, I am a lawyer.
A Google Esq search returns:
Verbal assault usually involves threatening physical violence on someone, although sometimes yelling or aggressively using words to offend or attack someone can constitute verbal assault. The threats must be something the assailant is capable of carrying out, and which cause fear of imminent danger to the victim.
Doesn't sound like OP felt in "fear of imminent danger", but the behaviour was inappropriate, especially when in uniform. Appropriate to report the situation, let someone else determine what action needs to be taken.
chrisboote likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by SamOF

<redacted>

Your definition describes attempted battery in most places, not assault. Assault is generally any attemptwhich can often take the form of words or gesturesto make the victim reasonably fear imminent touching or offensive physical contact. Why I oughta muttering from someone who physically can prevent you from leaving your enclosed space could certainly qualify.

Under the general definition, there is zero requiment that the physical contact is actually attempted, or that there is actually an ability to make physical contactall that matters is that the assailant makes the victim reasonably fear that its going to happen.
Since we are going far afield of the subject of this thread, I will simply leave this as you are legally in error.

The definition I provided is legally correct. There may, however, be outlier states that have a slightly different definition.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.