Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aggressive, Vulgar Behavior from Uniformed Non-AA Pilot Passenger

Aggressive, Vulgar Behavior from Uniformed Non-AA Pilot Passenger

Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
There's no reason an employee/NRSA should be addressing a customer like this......not at all.
Or anyone. Employee, non rev or general passenger.

No different than a window shade. I always fly window and like to keep it open. Some times the pax next to me asks me to lower it as it is causing glare on their screen or whatever. I have no issues with the request or usually complying. But being rude, reaching over me when I am awake etc. not acceptable.

Politeness goes a long way. Still.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by LondonElite
2230 is not 'late evening'. It's night time. You really shouldn't have been talking, but the pilot's behaviour was not appropriate. He probably should have said: "excuse me, it's late, we'd all like to get some sleep, maybe you can continue your conversation at the other end."
I guess late evening is relative, but I undoubtedly have the right to have a conversation - especially without fear of facing abuse from other passengers or employees. We're in a commercial airliner, not a library.

Originally Posted by justforfun
I feel this pilot's pain. Usually it's the FAs who won't stop yapping. I've thought his exact same words, but obviously never out loud.
Flip the situation. Had you done this to two traveling employees (whether in uniform or flying NRSA), do you think this would've ended differently?

Originally Posted by mcrw00
Not taking a side on the etiquette question (obv the pilot's actions were outrageous regardless), but when did this flight land local time? Shortly after midnight, or at dawn?
To me, this is an important point to consider before passing judgement on the acceptability/lack thereof of talking during the flight.
Flight was arriving around midnight (no time change).

Originally Posted by Mickidon
Agree....some people are traveling on different time zones and others need/want to read or do work. Asking for lights to go off is ridiculous.

My experience is that the FA chatter disturbs my sleep more than any other talking done by passengers. I put in earplugs and deal.
Exactly. Not everyone is on the same schedule. Should you be expected to be silent to accommodate night shift workers or Asian/European inhabitants who wish to get some sleep on a domestic flight that departs at 1:30pm?

Originally Posted by george 3
Pilot was rude. However, was the conversation so important that it couldn't be completed after landing or the next day? You should be aware of your surroundings, particularly if you are the only group talking on a late night flight where everyone was chilling. Also, you may not think you were loud, but my wife always asks me to talk more softly when I think I'm speaking quietly.
Whether or not the conversation is important is irrelevant. Completely irrelevant.

Originally Posted by 200nites
+1...a 10:30 PM flight qualifies as a late night flight.....Perhaps this pilot just completed a full day of fights with jet lag and was exhausted and needed some shut eye.
That is absolutely, positively, not my problem.

Someone that exhausted would have no problem sleeping in a room with quiet conversation.

Originally Posted by Catbert10
My $0.02 worth. The pilot was unprofessional and his behavior should not be condoned. It was good that he was reported. The pilot should have merely alerted you to the fact that your conversation was loud enough to bother him and asked nicely for the conversation to be toned down.

That said, it was clear that the OP's conversation was bothering someone in the cabin yet they continued the conversation at the same loudness. What was the thought there? They were entitled to have conversations at night even though it was bothering others? Where's the consideration for others? What would the OP have done if the pilot asked nicely? Responded "Sorry, we have the right to keep others from sleeping"?
I have the right to have a inside-voice conversation if I feel like it, that's for sure. We were apparently not "keeping others from sleeping" since people equidistant to the pilot were sleeping uninterrupted.

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
There's no reason an employee/NRSA should be addressing a customer like this......not at all.
As I said earlier, flights have been diverted for much less.
chrisboote likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
The title of this thread is sensational. He was rude and vulgar. That's not the same as "aggressive" or "threatening".
<snip>
You don't think being repeatedly sworn at is aggressive and threatening?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by brewdog11
You don't think being repeatedly sworn at is aggressive and threatening?

No.Not at all. I clearly stated I thought it was rude and vulgar. The deadhead was wrong to behave the way he did but based on the information supplied he was by no means threatening or aggressive. Maybe my dictionary is outdated.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by chongcao
yes I agree with you. Most people would get on with life without making any comment or show their displeasure. It would be naive for the OP to believe no one else was disturbed. It is entirely possible that other disturbed passenger decided to ignore like most people do. For one, I know I would not do anything in such circumstances but feel disgusted with the behavior. I mean, the poster is colleague with his or her travel companion, they have chances to discuss whatever they are talking in company cafeteria or conference rooms.
It may be like the customer service saying, for every person who calls to complain, another 10 have the same issue but don't bother to call...For every person who goes off the rails and becomes publicly rude about something bothering them, another 10 are also affected but handle it differently/restrain themselves.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:25 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Library silence as well as sensory deprivation are new rules that I am learning for American red-eyes. Happy I stumbled on this thread to educate me. Are the lights sleepers and photo-sensitive people paying more than me? /s
chrisny2, brewdog11 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Maybe my dictionary is outdated.
Oh. RIP.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:50 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by UA Apologist
So is it your view is that everybody should be free to do whatever he or she wishes to do?
Don't think I'm breaking the law or infringing airline rules by reading on a plane....
brewdog11 and Antarius like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:53 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by UA Apologist
There is nothing that would add more credibility to your opinion on a question of ethics than generalizing about a class of people based on origin alone.
The fact is that Americans, especially American women, are conditioned to speak more loudly than some other nationals. It's not a generalization, but a fact. It starts in high school, where you need to put an edge on your tone in order to be heard in the crowd. (This is a musician speaking.) Most Americans are not aware that they are doing it.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

"Alright, new rule. When I'm on a night-based schedule and need sleep during the day, I demand silence, absence of illuminated reading lights and all window shades closed when I take a lunchtime flight. That is, after all, my 'late night.'"

That is the main counter-argument being made. See how preposterous that sounds?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
The thread seems to be devolving.

Anyway, I believe the deadheading pilot was in the wrong.

I believe the two conversing were okay, assuming the decibel level was not excessive.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by apeortdz
The thread seems to be devolving.

Anyway, I believe the deadheading pilot was in the wrong.

I believe the two conversing were okay, assuming the decibel level was not excessive.
They key to point #3 is EVEN if the decibel level was excessive, the pilot was STILL in the wrong. There are far nicer ways to handle this such as a polite, "Do you mind keeping it down a little bit please, I need to catch some sleep" etc etc
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:42 pm
Suspended

It comforts us to think that pilots are always sane, stable people. They are NOT always. I know some personally and know how they are, and I have experienced behavior I found concerning more than once from them.

The worst was in the early 2000s' An LH pilot at FRA. Came storming into the gate absolutely FURIOUS and screaming at the gate crew. He even started punching walls and knocking over stancheons. Heads down jetway, yelling all the while with nobody but shocked passengers looking on, and then proceeds to "fly angry"...taxi was scary fast, dipping wings on the turns, us rolling like pax in a car. Braking hard enough to throw us forward during the taxi also. Seemed like we were flying fast too..fire walled take off even though the flight was short (likely less fuel) and only about half full, and a high rate, nose down descent with the spoilers up most the of the way down, and then another "dukes of hazzard" taxi experience to the gate.

It was scary.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt GLB
First, this wasn't a redeye. It was a late midcon.

I'm shocked at the number of people that must travel in complete silence. If it's really that much of an issue for you, travel with earplugs or a noise cancelling headset (or fly private or at a different time). If someone is that loud, ask them to please quiet down and go from there. I plan on talking all I want on the flight, especially when with friends.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I do agree about the light on redeyes; keep it off (I guess I am more light sensitive).
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by brewdog11
You should travel more.
110K butt-in-seat miles so far this year, I live in Europe with residences in the USA and Central Asia. So no, I'm not going to travel more.

<redacted>

And no, you don't tip in Europe.

Statman and apeortdz like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 8, 2018 at 3:44 pm Reason: Redacted - Rules https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#abusivedisruptive

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.