Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aggressive, Vulgar Behavior from Uniformed Non-AA Pilot Passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aggressive, Vulgar Behavior from Uniformed Non-AA Pilot Passenger

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are two totally separate issues here:

1. If OP was disturbing the other passenger, whether an AA employee or not, it was unacceptable for that other passenger to use profanity or to directly intervene at all. He ought to have summoned a FA and asked for the issue to be dealt with. That he did not and did use profanity is unacceptable and it appears that AA is following through.

2. It is rude to converse on a red eye so that others not in the conversation can hear you. I've seen FA's ask passengers to pipe down on red eyes for maintaining conversations which others could hear. Again, doesn't excuse the other passenger's conduct, but simply not the right thing to do.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by tom911
You've just got some added publicity that you probably weren't expecting:

Was Pilot Justified for Demanding Conversing Passengers to Shut Up?

I certainly wasn't expecting that. The article is fair, but I maintain that our conversation was not unruly.

Originally Posted by nk15
It seems like the "polite conversation" at 11pm drove a trained professional to his breaking point....I think the take home message is you should not be talking on a red eye...
If a low-volume conversation on a late-evening flight drives a "trained professional" to his breaking point, then I seriously think his fitness to fly needs to be rapidly and critically re-evaluated.
wrp96, Gshumway and thunderlounge like this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
It seems like the "polite conversation" at 11pm drove a trained professional to his breaking point....I think the take home message is you should not be talking on a red eye...
I can kinda see where that pilot comes from and I can certainly relate to his annoyance (I've probably uttered worse about road crews waking me up etc.).

But (1) he needs to keep it in his internal monologue.

And (2) OP didn't break any rules as far as I can tell. It's not said or implied by AA or any other airline that people can't have a regular conversation on the plane after a certain time.

The way I see it, if I want to sleep but there's people talking..I just consider it part of travel bad luck, like if there's a baby in the vicinity or the FA is sub-standard. It sucks but you gotta be a bit messed up to start verbally abusing them.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Often1
There are two totally separate issues here:

1. If OP was disturbing the other passenger, whether an AA employee or not, it was unacceptable for that other passenger to use profanity or to directly intervene at all. He ought to have summoned a FA and asked for the issue to be dealt with. That he did not and did use profanity is unacceptable and it appears that AA is following through.

2. It is rude to converse on a red eye so that others not in the conversation can hear you. I've seen FA's ask passengers to pipe down on red eyes for maintaining conversations which others could hear. Again, doesn't excuse the other passenger's conduct, but simply not the right thing to do.
Regarding #1 , I'm always cautious to escalate events like these in the air. While bringing this to the FA's attention could have yielded positive results, there are too many other negative situations that could've occurred. The uniformed pilot was obviously angry and unstable, and summoning the FA could seriously backfire if he were "tight" with the FA or flight deck crew. We've all seen what can happen when someone asks the wrong crew member for orange juice.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brewdog11
I certainly wasn't expecting that. The article is fair, but I maintain that our conversation was not unruly.

If a low-volume conversation on a late-evening flight drives a "trained professional" to his breaking point, then I seriously think his fitness to fly needs to be rapidly and critically re-evaluated.
+1

I fly maybe a dozen times a year, but I know enough to always have earplugs and eyeshades on hand in case my fellow passengers choose to talk/read/whatever (as is their unquestioned right).

I find it rather disturbing that a pilot who flies hundreds (perhaps thousands) of times per year can't grasp this concept.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I've done plenty of overnight flights where people talked, watched movies, etc. As long as it's quietly done, then I don't see a problem with people having a conversation when other people are sleeping. It's public transportation.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Regarding #1 , I'm always cautious to escalate events like these in the air. While bringing this to the FA's attention could have yielded positive results, there are too many other negative situations that could've occurred. The uniformed pilot was obviously angry and unstable, and summoning the FA could seriously backfire if he were "tight" with the FA or flight deck crew. We've all seen what can happen when someone asks the wrong crew member for orange juice.
So you are aware of the angry and unstable person next to you, the reasonable response to de-escalate the situation in the moment is to stop talking...Which I assume you eventually did, or did this go on for a while trying to show that you were not intimidated?

I do empathize with you being offended and upset though.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Sounds like his cheese slid off his cracker. How unusual! Maybe he needing CT scan, this sounds very unreasonable and irrational. At least he didn't take swing at you!
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
2230 is not 'late evening'. It's night time. You really shouldn't have been talking, but the pilot's behaviour was not appropriate. He probably should have said: "excuse me, it's late, we'd all like to get some sleep, maybe you can continue your conversation at the other end."
nsx likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I feel this pilot's pain. Usually it's the FAs who won't stop yapping. I've thought his exact same words, but obviously never out loud.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:39 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
I don't think most Americans realize how LOUD they can be. Over here in Europe I can always pick out the Americans based on volume alone.

And on a red-eye if you are talking and it is loud enough for someone to complain, you need to <redacted>.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 8, 2018 at 3:49 pm Reason: Redacted offensive language
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:12 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by colpuck
yes it is rude to have your light on during a red eye
Nope. If I wish to read, I will do so.

It's a minority opinion, I know, but people, especially frequent flyers, need to get used to sleeping with lights on. It helps a lot with jet lag.

Last edited by 1P; Jun 8, 2018 at 2:21 am
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:19 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by GuyverII
I don't think most Americans realize how LOUD they can be. Over here in Europe I can always pick out the Americans based on volume alone.
+1
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Not taking a side on the etiquette question (obv the pilot's actions were outrageous regardless), but when did this flight land local time? Shortly after midnight, or at dawn?
To me, this is an important point to consider before passing judgement on the acceptability/lack thereof of talking during the flight.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by GuyverII

And on a red-eye if you are talking and it is loud enough for someone to complain, you need to STFU.
This was my initial thought. Can see both sides. Of course, i was not there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.