Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aggressive, Vulgar Behavior from Uniformed Non-AA Pilot Passenger

Aggressive, Vulgar Behavior from Uniformed Non-AA Pilot Passenger

Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My $0.02 worth. The pilot was unprofessional and his behavior should not be condoned. It was good that he was reported. The pilot should have merely alerted you to the fact that your conversation was loud enough to bother him and asked nicely for the conversation to be toned down.

That said, it was clear that the OP's conversation was bothering someone in the cabin yet they continued the conversation at the same loudness. What was the thought there? They were entitled to have conversations at night even though it was bothering others? Where's the consideration for others? What would the OP have done if the pilot asked nicely? Responded "Sorry, we have the right to keep others from sleeping"?
C17PSGR and george 3 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I'm curious sleeping beauty....

Originally Posted by colpuck
If you look around and see no one else talking, that's a polite note that you shouldn't be talking either.The pilot certainly was quite rude, but so were you.
...any chance you might snore while on the same flight?
jcatman likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by chongl
Based on some of these responses, I guess we need to ban bathroom usage on redeyes too
More specifically, should middle or window pax on a redeye be allowed to wakeup a sleeping aisle pax to use the restroom?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Has anyone mentioned 'private jet' yet?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it was so important for the pilot to have absolute quiet, why didn't he move to one of the other empty seats? Why didn't he ask them to stop conversing?(well, even saying that sounds ridiculous, so I can understand why he didn't do that).
Why go all passive aggressive? I can say that if someone pulls that nonsense on me, my response is to directly ask the person what their problem is.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:43 am

Too many variables here for any of us to determine what really happened. And let's face it- people behave certain ways in public (could be a restaurant, movie theater, golf course) where it's possible they don't believe they're doing anything wrong, but to the people around them they're being rude.

The one known is that the pilot was wrong. That behavior is unacceptable by anyone, let alone a uniformed employee of the airline.

BTW- I am of the camp that late night and overnight flights require a higher level of sensitivity to the passengers around them. Talking at a very low level (slightly above a whisper) is fine, especially since (as others have said) passengers need to be prepared for galley and other passenger noises and make preparations (earplugs and noise canceling headsets come to mind). However, carrying on a normal/loud decibel discussion at 11pm in a confined environment such as a plane is probably unnecessary. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP states no one else was disturbed by the sound level of their conversation. That it was consistent with two people sitting next to one another in a quiet cabin and conversing. You can say that if you want to sleep any disturbance is an impolite imposition. I can say that's pretty damned self-absorbed on public transport, at the level of the Princess and the Pea.
If you want to just ignore the OP's statement and presume that they were actually loud, fine. But this kind of presumption is the most useless thing I see on FT threads. What's the point of making up your own story instead of commenting on the facts as reported? Why not say a leprechaun was hidden in the pilot's footwell and it was this malevolent little green man who was bothering the pilot every time he closed his eyes? There's just as much justification for that theory as for saying these people were shouting at one another.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by rickg523
The OP states no one else was disturbed by the sound level of their conversation. That it was consistent with two people sitting next to one another in a quiet cabin and conversing. You can say that if you want to sleep any disturbance is an impolite imposition. I can say that's pretty damned self-absorbed on public transport, at the level of the Princess and the Pea.
If you want to just ignore the OP's statement and presume that they were actually loud, fine. But this kind of presumption is the most useless thing I see on FT threads. What's the point of making up your own story instead of commenting on the facts as reported? Why not say a leprechaun was hidden in the pilot's footwell and it was this malevolent little green man who was bothering the pilot every time he closed his eyes? There's just as much justification for that theory as for saying these people were shouting at one another.
Well, it's impossible to know if others (beside the pilot) were disturbed since the OP does not note the flight/date - did the OP ask other pax? Thus, there are three versions most likely in play - the OP's, the pilot/rest of the pax in the vicinity, and the truth.
FlyerTalker688786 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mvoight
They aren't in bed, they are on an airplane.
I also don't agree with the comment about turning the light out.
sorry we are not on the same page. I did not comment on this incident. I was responding to one poster arguing 2230 is not night time but evening. You may read my comment buy you did not understand what I was commenting about.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by george 3
Well, it's impossible to know if others (beside the pilot) were disturbed since the OP does not note the flight/date - did the OP ask other pax? Thus, there are three versions most likely in play - the OP's, the pilot/rest of the pax in the vicinity, and the truth.
From the OP -
Alcohol was not involved, and no one else in the cabin seemed to be bothered by us at all.
From post #6
Whether or not it’s a red eye is irrelevant if two pax decide to have a hushed conversation.
From post #30
...it was so hushed that I don't think I could have [recorded the conversation]. I do have a witness to corroborate.
But go ahead invent and discuss what might have happened and how the OP actually acted ("the truth") rather than the information we have and the situation as reported. It's so much more illuminating that way.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by george 3
yes I agree with you. Most people would get on with life without making any comment or show their displeasure. It would be naive for the OP to believe no one else was disturbed. It is entirely possible that other disturbed passenger decided to ignore like most people do. For one, I know I would not do anything in such circumstances but feel disgusted with the behavior. I mean, the poster is colleague with his or her travel companion, they have chances to discuss whatever they are talking in company cafeteria or conference rooms.
george 3 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by colpuck
If you look around and see no one else talking, that's a polite note that you shouldn't be talking either.The pilot certainly was quite rude, but so were you.
Expletives!!!!! Just because people are plugged in or not talking means i have to shut up and stay quiet? seriously?

i have every right to engage in a conversation at a "reasonable volume that would not disturb others"

Anyways, I am in the school of thought that there's 3 versions of the story out there.... OP's, Pilot's and 3rd party of some sort......
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
There's no reason an employee/NRSA should be addressing a customer like this......not at all.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by global happy traveller

Anyways, I am in the school of thought that there's 3 versions of the story out there.... OP's, Pilot's and 3rd party of some sort......
True ...

OP's description is obviously not entirely correct. If OP was quietly conversing in a manner appropriate to a redeye, the pilot would not have heard them and would not have been asking/telling them to shutup, right? And, then they continued to talk after he said something?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
The title of this thread is sensational. He was rude and vulgar. That's not the same as "aggressive" or "threatening".

Travel can bring out the worst in people. Passengers do need to realize that due to the confined space, outside rules don't always apply. I agree that people should be able to converse on an airplane at any time as well as use your reading lamp. It is not a designated sleeper car. It's purpose is not to make sure your well rested upon your arrival. I chose to optimize my schedule so I can spend as much time at home as possible. This means last flight out and first flight home at all sorts of late hours. In doing so I forfeit proper acclimation time at my destination. I certainly don't expect to catch up on my rest on a plane.
chrisboote likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.