FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   HKG - LAX: Incredibly Rude FA, J Pax offloads himself! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1912919-hkg-lax-incredibly-rude-fa-j-pax-offloads-himself.html)

atlantic1 Jun 6, 2018 12:36 am

HKG - LAX: Incredibly Rude FA, J Pax offloads himself!

I witnessed something quite interesting coming back from HKG last Monday. A incredibly rude FA argued about having to move his crew luggage for a business class passenger when the passenger asked politely to make some space above his seat. The male FA was so incredibly rude, berating and humiliating him loudly in front of other passengers, he actually decided to offloaded himself.

Unfortunately it caused a 2hr ground delay as we had missed our takeoff slot out of HK (bad weather/ traffic as well) however the way the FA spoke to him was totally out of control. I assume the Asian passenger was use to Cathay Pacific and other Asian carriers more softer service. I was embarrassed for the passenger being treated in such a shocking way. He did not once raise his tone and was totally calm the whole time. The rest of the flight 14hr flight had the FA stomping around, slamming overhead lockers, while remove his tie looking incredibly unprofessional.
I don’t understand how rude FA’s get away with this behavior, surely the inconvenience caused by missing the T/O time, missed connections and the passenger probably never paying to fly with AA internationally again should have some serious implications for the FA involved.

Anyway thought I’d share my experience with you all. It was nice to see a passenger politely push back.
I wish AA would improve the onboard service - the soft Casper products and business seats are very competitive!

matrixwalker2012 Jun 6, 2018 1:04 am

On an airline quality equation, there are constants and there are variables.

Seats, bedding products, lounges, apps, planes, etc are all constants. These can all be made great by simply making the right decisions.

The people are the biggest variables. How to control for these variables? This is something that is a long time mystery...

Burj Jun 6, 2018 1:18 am

Please report this to AA. Alas you'll probably just get a robo-reply with some miles thrown at you.

Did any other FA's intervene or say anything?

solewalker Jun 6, 2018 2:29 am

Flown this route four times so far. I'm 1/4 for decent service. Their J hard product is really competitive, but you're really rolling the dice for service.

Kleenlex Jun 6, 2018 4:48 am

Man sorry to hear that! Must not have been pleasant to witness that. It’s so ironic that the end of AA’s safety briefing they go with ‘great is what we’re going for’.

I was rebooked onto a Delta flight earlier this week and I have to say I quite enjoyed Delta. At least their grooming was better and they seemed more interested in their passengers.

3Cforme Jun 6, 2018 5:26 am

Originally Posted by atlantic1 (Post 29834277)
I don’t understand how rude FA’s get away with this behavior...

Study the effects of seniority bidding in unionized service industries where one craft (be it mechanics, FAs, or pilots) can shut down the firm. You will have your answer.

asnovici Jun 6, 2018 5:40 am

Two more accounts on that flight

We were on that flight in Business row 14. I saw the passenger offloading himself and did see he was being upset but didn't know why. Now it all makes sense. I didn't witness the actual interaction between the flight attendant and the passenger but certainly can attest how rude that FA was throughout the flight. That guy was working my aisle on the left hand side and he was dismissive, rude and condescending throughout the flight. There was no "you are welcome" to any of "thank you". No service at all from him except collecting trash. At one point when handing him a glass and an empty diet coke can he refused to take the can but just stood there saying "can inside" to which I responded that I don't understand and he kept saying the same thing over and over until I realized he wanted me to put the can inside the glass myself. He clearly couldn't bother to do it himself and refused to move on until I did this. Just overall a miserable guy who shouldn't be in front of passengers and definitely not in Business. On the other hand the lady working the aisle was very professional.

Regarding the delay I believe the captain indicated it was due to weather outside of Hong Kong, but maybe it was after the guy was offloaded so not sure what actually caused that.

Truly disgraceful to employ FAs like that guy but its not going anywhere cause union will protect him and customers will continue to experience this crap.

andersonCooper Jun 6, 2018 6:06 am

Originally Posted by atlantic1 (Post 29834277)
I witnessed something quite interesting coming back from HKG last Monday. A incredibly rude FA argued about having to move his crew luggage for a business class passenger when the passenger asked politely to make some space above his seat. The male FA was so incredibly rude, berating and humiliating him loudly in front of other passengers, he actually decided to offloaded himself.

Unfortunately it caused a 2hr ground delay as we had missed our takeoff slot out of HK (bad weather/ traffic as well) however the way the FA spoke to him was totally out of control. I assume the Asian passenger was use to Cathay Pacific and other Asian carriers more softer service. I was embarrassed for the passenger being treated in such a shocking way. He did not once raise his tone and was totally calm the whole time. The rest of the flight 14hr flight had the FA stomping around, slamming overhead lockers, while remove his tie looking incredibly unprofessional.
I don’t understand how rude FA’s get away with this behavior, surely the inconvenience caused by missing the T/O time, missed connections and the passenger probably never paying to fly with AA internationally again should have some serious implications for the FA involved.

Anyway thought I’d share my experience with you all. It was nice to see a passenger politely push back.
I wish AA would improve the onboard service - the soft Casper products and business seats are very competitive!

As I rotate TPAC on CX and TATL on AA (for now) usually on a quarterly basis, I am often let down by the comparative differences as well...

jmr50 Jun 6, 2018 6:15 am

While I realize it's a controversial suggestion (and no doubt somebody will tell me it's illegal), video recordings of such scenes really help to address this issue far more than written accounts do. If there's any one constant in some of the recent acts by airlines to address egregious treatment of passengers, it's been the existence and wide publication of videos. Just a thought.

broland Jun 6, 2018 6:24 am

Originally Posted by jmr50 (Post 29834961)
While I realize it's a controversial suggestion (and no doubt somebody will tell me it's illegal), video recordings of such scenes really help to address this issue far more than written accounts do. If there's any one constant in some of the recent acts by airlines to address egregious treatment of passengers, it's been the existence and wide publication of videos. Just a thought.

I totally agree with you. The moment passengers decide to register this kind of treatment, there may be a change.

colpuck Jun 6, 2018 6:34 am

Just an FYI. The FAs are required to store their bags in specific locations because it is factored into the weight and balance of the aircraft. While yes it is a small thing, the FAA can and will write up the airline for violating their weight and balance manual and inflight procedures manual. Not saying it couldn't have been handled better, just that is a requirement.

apeortdz Jun 6, 2018 6:43 am

Two separate accounts that match up would suggest that this should be reported. Maybe no action but AA should be made aware. Probably a repeat offender.

dickinson Jun 6, 2018 6:52 am

Totally absurd that AA would allow this behavior from a FA.

FlytheTail Jun 6, 2018 6:52 am

Originally Posted by apeortdz (Post 29835040)
Two separate accounts that match up would suggest that this should be reported. Maybe no action but AA should be made aware. Probably a repeat offender.

I encourage and hope that both atlantic1 and asnovici (and any others on the flight) write to AA in hopes that they identify and take action towards their employee. Thanks for posting.

flyalways Jun 6, 2018 6:55 am

Originally Posted by andersonCooper (Post 29834926)
As I rotate TPAC on CX and TATL on AA (for now) usually on a quarterly basis, I am often let down by the comparative differences as well...

It is amazing that AA can get away with this but then anyone who has worked with Union workers will know
the challenges that management faces in disciplining these workers ! FAs working for AA should consider
themselves fortunate compared to many others who have to put in lot of extra work to get less pay...But
they act as if they are entitled and deserve this as their birthright or something :-(