Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HKG - LAX: Incredibly Rude FA, J Pax offloads himself!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG - LAX: Incredibly Rude FA, J Pax offloads himself!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Study the effects of mutually agreed upon contracts. If your statement was even close to reality AA would not have agreed to the terms. Unions don't want bad employees either as it costs time and money to represent them (not defend). The employee should be reported and go through an agreed upon, non arbitrary discipline process. Seniority benefits keeps valuable employees.
As I have said before on FT, the AA FA's union is one of the worst I've seen for a so called "Professional Union ". They really don't care how their folks act. The trade unions are much better at this - but their folks are more highly skilled than FA's and most take pride in their job. Note: I have been in a union and have no problem with them when they are accountable for their rank and file.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Burj
Please report this to AA. Alas you'll probably just get a robo-reply with some miles thrown at you.

Did any other FA's intervene or say anything?
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Two separate accounts that match up would suggest that this should be reported. Maybe no action but AA should be made aware. Probably a repeat offender.

Fully agree. Anyone in a position to do so should report this (or any other matter on a flight) back to AA. It’s a shame a few bad apples can ruin the bunch. AA has a lot of excellent FA’s, and their hard work is often lost amongst the trash. I also write in to let AA know about excellent FA’s as well.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by atlantic1
The male FA was so incredibly rude, berating and humiliating him loudly in front of other passengers, he actually decided to offloaded himself.

What specifically did the FA say that was incredibly, rude, berating, and humiliating? I will assume his tone of voice was negative and that he raised his voice, but I'm sure AA would want to know specifically what he said if a complaint is filed.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
As you explained, onboard management. I am not sure if AA is committed to this, or even if AA wants to, there is no pressure from domestic competition, or the union complexities of implementation.
AA has never had it, obviously not committed to it. What's more, to try to implement it would require a major renegotiation with the flight attendants' union. You may recall that the union filed a grievance when AA required that the FAs set up the bedding in international F, despite that it takes no more than 30 seconds per seat to do it, and there were only eight F seats, IIRC. If they filed a grievance for an additional 30 seconds of work, you can imagine how involved it would be, and how much opposition it would generate, to try to institute an onboard ISM position or similar.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
On a full flight this is hogwash (in reference to the post about FAs required to put bags in certain locations)

Last edited by Collierkr; Jun 6, 2018 at 4:23 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by asnovici
We were on that flight in Business row 14. I saw the passenger offloading himself and did see he was being upset but didn't know why. Now it all makes sense. I didn't witness the actual interaction between the flight attendant and the passenger but certainly can attest how rude that FA was throughout the flight. That guy was working my aisle on the left hand side and he was dismissive, rude and condescending throughout the flight. There was no "you are welcome" to any of "thank you". No service at all from him except collecting trash. At one point when handing him a glass and an empty diet coke can he refused to take the can but just stood there saying "can inside" to which I responded that I don't understand and he kept saying the same thing over and over until I realized he wanted me to put the can inside the glass myself. He clearly couldn't bother to do it himself and refused to move on until I did this. Just overall a miserable guy who shouldn't be in front of passengers and definitely not in Business. On the other hand the lady working the aisle was very professional.

Regarding the delay I believe the captain indicated it was due to weather outside of Hong Kong, but maybe it was after the guy was offloaded so not sure what actually caused that.

Truly disgraceful to employ FAs like that guy but its not going anywhere cause union will protect him and customers will continue to experience this crap.
Wow , you should report that level of service. Obviously "offload guy" has more reasons to be upset at the miserable FA, but your experience isn't appropriate either.
MSPeconomist and Gshumway like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Fully agree. Anyone in a position to do so should report this (or any other matter on a flight) back to AA. It’s a shame a few bad apples can ruin the bunch. AA has a lot of excellent FA’s, and their hard work is often lost amongst the trash. I also write in to let AA know about excellent FA’s as well.
I agree. Before we attempt to re-litigate Epic Sys. v. Lewis or the merits of unionization here on FT, the experience is thankfully the exception, not the rule.

Having never flown AA ex-HKG, thankfully CX has a non-stop from BOS, I'm curious to know how this was handled by the GAs when the guy walked off the plane. Presumably, the station manager was brought in and hopefully the station manager at LAX met the flight, albeit with a union stew.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by mvoight
HUH? I doubt this FA storing his bag above that passenger's seat or the passenger storing a bag there is going to make a difference on the widebody plane doing a TPAC
Are you seriously saying FAs are required to store their bags above Business Class seats?
I am saying that FAs are required to store their bags in specific positions on the aircraft, it doesn't have to a specific location, it does have to be in a position. AA could specify that the 2L FA on a 77W has to store their bags above 28J and that is where it would go. It's a weight and balance issue.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I have represented AA FAs for years. (I'm a divorce lawyer.) I have copies of, and have read cover-to-cover, various versions of the APFA contract. While I have not seen a current one, I never saw anything like that.
I didn't mention the APFA contract, as it isn't a contract issue it's an issue with the W+B of the aircraft.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
OP please tell me you got this flight attendants name? This asshat needs to be reported and terminated immediately.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by atlantic1
I witnessed something quite interesting coming back from HKG last Monday. A incredibly rude FA argued about having to move his crew luggage for a business class passenger when the passenger asked politely to make some space above his seat. The male FA was so incredibly rude, berating and humiliating him loudly in front of other passengers, he actually decided to offloaded himself.

Unfortunately it caused a 2hr ground delay as we had missed our takeoff slot out of HK (bad weather/ traffic as well) however the way the FA spoke to him was totally out of control. I assume the Asian passenger was use to Cathay Pacific and other Asian carriers more softer service. I was embarrassed for the passenger being treated in such a shocking way. He did not once raise his tone and was totally calm the whole time. The rest of the flight 14hr flight had the FA stomping around, slamming overhead lockers, while remove his tie looking incredibly unprofessional.
I don’t understand how rude FA’s get away with this behavior, surely the inconvenience caused by missing the T/O time, missed connections and the passenger probably never paying to fly with AA internationally again should have some serious implications for the FA involved.

Anyway thought I’d share my experience with you all. It was nice to see a passenger politely push back.
I wish AA would improve the onboard service - the soft Casper products and business seats are very competitive!
I hope you wrote a very specific note to AA customer service. Honesly, if it weren't for the union, that FA should have been fired after that outburst.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
So, back on the topic -- those who are familiar with the AA COC what likely happened to the man who offloaded himself? Assuming a nonrefundable ticket, Is it likely he had to pay a change fee + fare difference to get to LAX?
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA SILVER, AA EXEC PLAT
I’m not sure what happened after he offloaded himself, I just hope he was accommodated without issue. I have wrote into AA and so has another another passenger who I was sitting next to - so I’d like to think AA will act of the 4 complaints received from the business class cabin.
While it didn’t directly affect me, it was extremely uncomfortable for the rest of the journey. I’ve had my fair share of grumpy and bland FA’s, that’s life - however I had never felt so uncomfortable where I thought this guy could turn on me or anyone else.
I wish there was a inflight manager to handle situations and set the tone of the flight. It seems like a free for all on AA.
BA/CX/QF - the ones I fly mostly with seem more than equipt to handle this much better.
As I said before, AA really have a fantastic and competitive product it’s just completely let down by a few bad FA’s.
Such a shame.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by mvoight
I disagree. Why should the passenger be inconvenienced by having his bag somewhere else?
Makes me wonder if you have ever flown before. The over head bin above the first seats are regularly filled with Plane/crew gear and is unavailable for stowage. The response of the flight attendant though should be " let me find somewhere to stow your bag".
aztimm likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would think if he decided to offload himself so voluntarily, there's a reasonable chance that he was on a refundable fare. And so if AA lost a refundable J fare AND this incident contributed to a missed departure slot and 2-hour delay, you can bet that AA management will take this issue seriously, probably even independent of the other passenger complaints. Of course none of us will ever know what, if any, disciplinary action is taken against the FA.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Very curious about AA's responses to the complaints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.