Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Destroys a Bag, Issues $3,500 Check + $300 Voucher in 24 Hours

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Destroys a Bag, Issues $3,500 Check + $300 Voucher in 24 Hours

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Hmm, I don’t get why people think the bag *must* have held less than 3500$...
Even for a week trip I’m pretty sure my bag holds things worth more than 3500$... Like maybe one has a beautiful scarf that was gifted to them for a special occasion worth about 1000 bucks. Add a few brooks brothers shirts, one or two suits, maybe a Hermes tie, and yet I will also have flip flops and some odd shirts and shorts that may look cheap.
I didn't say that bag MUST not have had $3500 worth of stuff in it, just that I would not be carrying that much. The vast majority of passengers don't carry $1000 scarfs in their baggage
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
For domestic travel AA can have any terms that DOT will let it get away with

For international travel, Montreal Convention applies and there is nothing in the convention that allows for AA to pick and choose what it covers

Same as it trying to say that it won't cover damage to baggage handles/wheels and similar - for international travel , it is covered - and I have had AA pay out for it
A set of US domestic travel on AA is also subject to Montreal Convention.

It’s possible for domestic AA flights on an entirely domestic ticket to give rise to liability under the Montreal Convention as long as the wholly domestic ticket for the AA flights was part of international travels subject to the Montreal Convention. Separately ticketed PNRs for domestic flight aren’t legal cover against all claims under the Montreal Convention when it comes to domestic flights on an entirely domestic PNR.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
For domestic travel AA can have any terms that DOT will let it get away with

For international travel, Montreal Convention applies and there is nothing in the convention that allows for AA to pick and choose what it covers
Sure, but as people have noted the Montreal Convention generally results in lower max limitations of liability so even though your fancy camera might be covered you're unlikely to get very much money for it. In any case, the Montreal Convention surely does not apply to this particular situation.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GUWonder

A set of US domestic travel on AA is also subject to Montreal Convention.

It’s possible for domestic AA flights on an entirely domestic ticket to give rise to liability under the Montreal Convention as long as the wholly domestic ticket for the AA flights was part of international travels subject to the Montreal Convention. Separately ticketed PNRs for domestic flight aren’t legal cover against all claims under the Montreal Convention when it comes to domestic flights on an entirely domestic PNR.
I should have said fully - indeed - a domestic portion on AA of an international jouney is likely to be covered by the Montreal Convention - though istr that there may be a few countries where travel is covered under the Warsaw convention

Originally Posted by jordyn
Sure, but as people have noted the Montreal Convention generally results in lower max limitations of liability so even though your fancy camera might be covered you're unlikely to get very much money for it. In any case, the Montreal Convention surely does not apply to this particular situation.
$1600 is a lot more than zero though. It has made a difference to me when a case got damaged and AA tried to say that damage to wheels was not covered - in end AA did replace the bag
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:00 pm

why bother checking?

AA did the right thing. Hurray. I lost out on 2 of 5 days diving the great barrier reef when AA lost my (and my wife's) bags during JFK-LAX-BNE (in business, no less). Thankfully Qantas actually give people AU$100 and a toiletries pack, that we used to buy bathing suits. Ironically, on the return leg of the same trip, AA lost another suitcase (with my winter coat) so I got to freeze my you-know-what in the 20ºF February of NY. And then there's the time when AA lost my bag coming from the Caribbean and half my stuff was broken (dive mask, underwater camera case, etc.). There's more, but I just don't have the patience. My experience is 1 for 2 with AA. The run-around and finger pointing made me decide to never check a bag with them unless absolutely necessary.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
$3500 could be for a bag & a couple pair of YEEZY's...

Kudos to AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.