Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Destroys a Bag, Issues $3,500 Check + $300 Voucher in 24 Hours

AA Destroys a Bag, Issues $3,500 Check + $300 Voucher in 24 Hours

Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
$3500 +$300 for a carryon size bag? I'm in the wrong business..
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Mannnnnn....to be so lucky.

TAKE MY BAG! The bag was $500, the contents at BEST are $500. That still puts me $2800 in the black.

I'm even begging for my bag to get "lost" I keep paying for this travel insurance and never using it. Still not 100% sure how to use it, since they say the airline is responsible for you first, but I'm tired of paying for something and getting nothing other than "peace of mind".
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Jesus, that thing hits with some force.
This explains the damage to polycarb spinners at the corners, cracks, and how they lose wheels. Or how the frames with latches get bent. I always thought a smoother exterior was more ideal for tactile & easy cleaning but perhaps a slightly rough/textured exterior helps slow down the slide so it doesn't slam into the wall & ping pong.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Mannnnnn....to be so lucky.

TAKE MY BAG! The bag was $500, the contents at BEST are $500. That still puts me $2800 in the black.

I'm even begging for my bag to get "lost" I keep paying for this travel insurance and never using it. Still not 100% sure how to use it, since they say the airline is responsible for you first, but I'm tired of paying for something and getting nothing other than "peace of mind".
Insurance comes into its own when the airline deny a claim, or majorly low-ball you on a claim. The insurance will take over dealing with the airline for you, and IMO, give you the payment up front regardless of where they are with the airline.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Looks like it got chewed up on the conveyor.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
$3500 seems a bit high.
Go through and add up the cost of your clothes. Not sure how big the bag was, but for a man - a 26" suitor could easily hold $3500 of clothes.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Looks like it got chewed up on the conveyor.
Could be, but that's usually not the case. In my experience more likely is it got dragged around. So sometimes a bag will fall out of a cart and no one notices, but it'll get dragged around on the ramp, that chews through the bag almost instantly.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Could be, but that's usually not the case. In my experience more likely is it got dragged around. So sometimes a bag will fall out of a cart and no one notices, but it'll get dragged around on the ramp, that chews through the bag almost instantly.
That’s certainly possible. I had a dive bag (Stahlsac, fortunately, so they replaced the bag) dragged down the ramp under a cart axle at POM. After diving Loloata Island and Milne Bay. PX offered me nothing, and my flight to BNE was coming up. Wanpela im brukim kago tumas. Im ol bagarap.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
Yes, but the missing items (expensive camera equipment(?)--with receipts) could be $3500.
Or, it could have been two nice suits.

This forum is amazing. AA does a nice thing for a customer, and it sets of a debate as to whether the customer deserved that nice thing.
ashill likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Having status in these situations is very very helpful, trust me. As a 1K with United, I usually get responses within 12-24 hours after filing a complaint or asking a question on their customer care site. A lot of bad PR for the airlines over the last couple of years (IMHO) have resulted in improvements in this category. Let's hope this is the new trend and it remains this way...... and those with lower or no status are treated equally in these situations.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Thats certainly possible. I had a dive bag (Stahlsac, fortunately, so they replaced the bag) dragged down the ramp under a cart axle at POM. After diving Loloata Island and Milne Bay. PX offered me nothing, and my flight to BNE was coming up. Wanpela im brukim kago tumas. Im ol bagarap.
POM, nice! The pacific islands are of interest to me, but so pricey to get to even from YVR. That being said I only understood like half your post, trying to guess what language that was.

As far as the bag goes I'm not sure how they can simply offer you nothing. I mean I guess that's why I have the travel insurance I referenced in an earlier post, but that's odd that they did nothing. What bothers me is when they DO something, that's clearly not enough and the insurance still doesn't cover it. I asked the insurance people one day if I could go get my own hotel rather than wait in an enormous line if my flight were cancelled (we've all seen those lines, rebooking 200 people and getting them all hotels, it's a slow process) and they said no, you have to take what they give you. Seems like total BS to me, I'm not a classy guy, but if they put me in a total fleabag motel, I just have to accept that? LH lost my bag and never once told me how MUCH they'd reimburse. They just told me to send them receipts that they'd review. So I ended up buying basically nothing clothing wise because I didn't wanna get stuck with the bill.

Because I've never had many issues with my flying, I'm still trying to figure out how all this stuff works.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
Thinking about my regular load out:
Tumi International Rollerboard: $700ish
Two Jos A.Bank Travel slim suits (about $200.00 each): $400
Toiletries: $30 bucks
Prescriptions: $30 bucks
Shoes: $100 bucks
4x Shirts: $120.00
Socks and underware: $30:00
Ties 4x at $30 each: $120
Cables and Chargers: $50.00
Shirts: 4x at $25 each ($100)
Dockers or some such: $40.00
Light wt. Jacket $100.00

That is about $1,820

If you are checking an expensive camera, laptop, headphones etc. I don't have much sympathy for you as you should know better.

It looks like this lady got belongings plus a double value for the trouble.

I would have been plenty happy with $2,000, but I also do not check things like my $700 camera, or $600 Shure 595s or $1000 Surface etc....
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Allentown
Prescriptions: $30 bucks
Really hope those prescriptions aren't for anything life threatening! I would never check a prescription.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by JDiver
Amazing and speedy action by AA!
Based on my reading of the original article, it sounds like AA did not concede the fight until the WFAA has contacted AA.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Yeah I found a hole in my Rimowa and a cracked metal corner piece on my Tumi both off the same flight... it was ridiculous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.