Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has fixed things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes out of the box on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. Gate to gate offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

737-800: ViaSat (all)
737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
787-9: Panasonic (all)
777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Old Mar 14, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by golfmad
Would you mind providing some more information on this. What rebates are available and which cards?
Im not an expert, but I know that the Amex Platinum and the Amex Hilton Aspire cards have airline fee credits ($200 on the Plat and I believe $250 on the Aspire card) where if you charge services and sundry expenses on your cards and the charge is made by the airline, Amex will rebate those fees up to the rebate limit. Things like change fees, in-flight food purchases, baggage fees, seat fees, etc., are all examples of rebateable fees. So too is airline wifi so long as the vendor of the wifi service is the airline. If the vendor is Gogo or Panasonic or Viasat, no credit.

Oh, the dollar credit is applicable to one airline per year, and you must nominate your airline of choice. You can't get seat fees from AA, beverage purchases from United, and baggage fees from Frontier. It all has to be one airline.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 3:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Im not an expert, but I know that the Amex Platinum and the Amex Hilton Aspire cards have airline fee credits ($200 on the Plat and I believe $250 on the Aspire card) where if you charge services and sundry expenses on your cards and the charge is made by the airline, Amex will rebate those fees up to the rebate limit. Things like change fees, in-flight food purchases, baggage fees, seat fees, etc., are all examples of rebateable fees. So too is airline wifi so long as the vendor of the wifi service is the airline. If the vendor is Gogo or Panasonic or Viasat, no credit.

Oh, the dollar credit is applicable to one airline per year, and you must nominate your airline of choice. You can't get seat fees from AA, beverage purchases from United, and baggage fees from Frontier. It all has to be one airline.
Ok. I have the Amex Plat. AA is my nominated airline and the AA WiFi monthly charge is on my Amex card. I haven't checked but I don't think it qualifies for the $200 credit. My credit always goes completely unused sadly.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by golfmad
Ok. I have the Amex Plat. AA is my nominated airline and the AA WiFi monthly charge is on my Amex card. I haven't checked but I don't think it qualifies for the $200 credit. My credit always goes completely unused sadly.
it does because I've seen it happen.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 6:41 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
it does because I've seen it happen.
Excellent.

I just checked my account and although I have my Amex card in my AA wallet, it was not the preferred card so the monthly WiFi charges have been going on another card. I have now changed it so will see what happens next month. If you're right then I'm grateful for the suggestion, thanks. It will save me $200 per year. I will report back after the next charge period.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by jayer
They display an icon that looks like you are looking through a streaky windshield with a wiper stuck on the right side. Don't have a clue what that even means.
Broadband high speed Wi-Fi. Far superior to the Panasonic Wi-Fi that is offered on the widebody fleet.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Originally Posted by jayer
Relative making near-term very short notice flight. He insists he needs over-water internet connection for business. (Which sounds absolutely depressing on your way to Hawaii, but I digress).

His best routing would be leaving from LAX, where he will be by then anyway, flying on an AA A321neo. (The alternative would be to backtrack to Phoenix or even home to DFW and get on an AA widebody, or another airline). He has something above Platinum on AA and wants the miles to requalify if possible.

The AA website lets you type in flight numbers to check WiFi availability, but answers the question by displaying an icon. (Which gets me back to why don't they just say "yes" or "no" anyway. Even if that makes me sound even older than I am).

The icons for widebodys obviously indicate availability. A321neos are . . . .confusing. They display an icon that looks like you are looking through a streaky windshield with a wiper stuck on the right side. Don't have a clue what that even means.

From an outside source it appears most AA A321s are equipped with a vendor that does not work over the Pacific. But that map is dated, and I suppose the over-water planes would be a sub-fleet.

But I'm guessing. Does anyone know from recent experience?

Thanks
The last time I was on an A321neo to Hawaii there was no coverage over the Pacific Ocean. Check post #195 for the coverage map.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 11:34 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Is there any plans for AA to offer free messaging services like every other carrier? I think AA is the last of the major carriers to not offer free internet or at least free messaging.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:04 am
Suspended

Unhappy

Well, it seems because of COVID, senior management at Boingo didn't inform Boingo Customer Service (agents) that their partnership ended a few years ago with the carriers. The Boingo app has very few countries now (assuming it's even current). There is no mention whatsoever of Boingo Wifi inflight on Boingo's website.

This is the official email excerpt I got today, I thought I would share.

Thanks for contacting Boingo. We're here to help. With Boingo, eligible cardholders can enjoy complimentary global Wi-Fi access at:

- Over 1.5 million hotspots worldwide
- Thousands of hotels, retail locations, cafs and restaurants
- Hundreds of airports and over 900 aircrafts around the world!*

Cardholders need to check with their airlines and individual flights to determine availability. Airlines include:
Aer Lingus, Aero Mexico, Air Berline, Air Europa, Air France, Air Serbia, Air Seychelles, Alitalia, American Airlines, ANA, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, Etihad Airways, Eurowings, EVA Air, Finnair, Garuda Indonesia, Iberia, Kenya Airways, KLM, Lufthansa, Maindo Air, Qatar Airways, Scoot, Singapore Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, WestJet

Boingo service is available on many airlines around the world. Service is usually available on long haul International flights offered by JAL, American Airlines, Lufthansa and many more. There is no guarantee that each aircraft or route flown will have Wi-Fi service, so you will need to manually check for Boingo service via roaming login to confirm service.

If there's anything more we can do to help, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Saphire,
The Boingo Customer Care Team
Boingo Customer Care Available 24/7: Just go to support.boingo.com
It's interesting how the email is copy and pasted. In the third paragraph most of those airlines are long haul international flights but are excluded from the subsequent paragraph.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec
Question WiFi: per flight or monthly subscription

Did a search but didnt find good answers. If I am flying ORD-DFW-LIR (both 737-800) and LIR-MIA-ORD (A319 then 737MAX8), would it be better to buy WiFi on each flight or just get a one month subscription? Thanx for any help and advice.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Whenever I have 4+ flights in a given 30 days and want Wifi on all the flights, I get a subscription and then cancel it before the 30 days is up. It's always either a wash or a slight savings (and more savings if I have 6+ flights).
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Whenever I have 4+ flights in a given 30 days and want Wifi on all the flights, I get a subscription and then cancel it before the 30 days is up. It's always either a wash or a slight savings (and more savings if I have 6+ flights).
Do they pro-rate the refund?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy
Do they pro-rate the refund?
No. You pay for 30 days each time. No pro-rates.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:05 pm

I fly AA once a month. It doesn't pay for me to buy a monthly subscription. Would be great if AA offered a 10 pack at a discount to be used over 6 months or a year. AA would get the cash up front and would increase the amount of customers who use the paid service.

I use the Southwest Business Chase card. For $200 annual fee, I get free wifi on Southwest. Citi or Barclays should offer a credit card product with it included.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I use my Amex Platinum airline fee credit for this. You can't use it for individual flight purcahses because those are not billed by AA, but you can for monthly payments. So I do the same, if I have a concentration of flights in 30 days I buy it then; can do this 4x a year.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 12:49 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, UA - 1K, UK - PLT
Unlike UA - the monthly subscription doesnt work for INTL flights I think..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.