Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 26, 22, 7:57 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 26, 22, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National Exec
Question WiFi: per flight or monthly subscription

Did a search but didn’t find good answers. If I am flying ORD-DFW-LIR (both 737-800) and LIR-MIA-ORD (A319 then 737MAX8), would it be better to buy WiFi on each flight or just get a one month subscription? Thanx for any help and advice.
Old Jul 26, 22, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Whenever I have 4+ flights in a given 30 days and want Wifi on all the flights, I get a subscription and then cancel it before the 30 days is up. It's always either a wash or a slight savings (and more savings if I have 6+ flights).
Old Jul 26, 22, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gate Louse Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS View Post
Whenever I have 4+ flights in a given 30 days and want Wifi on all the flights, I get a subscription and then cancel it before the 30 days is up. It's always either a wash or a slight savings (and more savings if I have 6+ flights).
Do they pro-rate the refund?
Old Jul 26, 22, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Superguy View Post
Do they pro-rate the refund?
No. You pay for 30 days each time. No pro-rates.
Old Jul 26, 22, 8:05 pm

I fly AA once a month. It doesn't pay for me to buy a monthly subscription. Would be great if AA offered a 10 pack at a discount to be used over 6 months or a year. AA would get the cash up front and would increase the amount of customers who use the paid service.

I use the Southwest Business Chase card. For $200 annual fee, I get free wifi on Southwest. Citi or Barclays should offer a credit card product with it included.
Old Jul 26, 22, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I use my Amex Platinum airline fee credit for this. You can't use it for individual flight purcahses because those are not billed by AA, but you can for monthly payments. So I do the same, if I have a concentration of flights in 30 days I buy it then; can do this 4x a year.
Old Jul 27, 22, 12:49 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, UA - 1K, UK - PLT
Unlike UA - the monthly subscription doesnt work for INTL flights I think..
Old Jul 27, 22, 2:35 am

Programs: AA - Plat. Pro; 1W Emerald; HHonors Gold; UA dirt
Depends on the type of international flight. For widebody service offered by Panasonic (777s and 78s), the wifi subscription is different and won't work. If you have an international flight on the narrowbodies, the wifi is service by Gogo or Viasat and your monthly subscription does work.

AA's wifi is absurdly expensive compared to UA and DL. It takes about 3 flights for me to merit the monthly subscription.
TWA884 and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 27, 22, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer View Post
Depends on the type of international flight. For widebody service offered by Panasonic (777s and 78s), the wifi subscription is different and won't work. If you have an international flight on the narrowbodies, the wifi is service by Gogo or Viasat and your monthly subscription does work.

AA's wifi is absurdly expensive compared to UA and DL. It takes about 3 flights for me to merit the monthly subscription.
It doesn't make any sense why AA isn't offering a more competitive price than its competitors. It makes no sense.
Old Jul 27, 22, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, Lowly kettle across UA, DL, Hyatt, ATK, IHG, Bonvoy.
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
It doesn't make any sense why AA isn't offering a more competitive price than its competitors. It makes no sense.
Because AA doesn't believe that's a big enough disincentive that it will make any difference to their revenue.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 27, 22, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Taking a 321 from LAX to HNL. Last time internet did not work over the Pacific.

Is it still the same?
Old Jul 27, 22, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Originally Posted by Always Flyin View Post
Taking a 321 from LAX to HNL. Last time internet did not work over the Pacific.

Is it still the same?
Correct. The wifi only works for the first 15 minutes or so leaving the west coast, or the last 15 minutes or so before descending below 10k feet when flying to the west coast from Hawaii. On the plus side, wifi for that short time is free.
Old Jul 27, 22, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Muckus View Post
Correct. The wifi only works for the first 15 minutes or so leaving the west coast, or the last 15 minutes or so before descending below 10k feet when flying to the west coast from Hawaii. On the plus side, wifi for that short time is free.
That's how I remember it from last time.

Pity AA doesn't take such things into account when deploying aircraft.

Search this Thread