Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2021, 5:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by N830MH
Stop increase the wifi price!! It's rip off! Make it cheaper! Do not increase the wifi price anymore!

I PAY WIFI $11 and now it's INCREASE TO $15! Unacceptable!
You may be better off directing your anger at those providing the service rather than at an internet bulletin board?
Old Jul 24, 2021, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I flew DFW-LHR on July 7 and LHR-MIA today (July 24), both on 773s. The Wi-Fi didn’t work on either flight. Just bad luck or have there been recent reliability issues?
Old Jul 24, 2021, 11:05 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
I flew DFW-LHR on July 7 and LHR-MIA today (July 24), both on 773s. The Wi-Fi didn’t work on either flight. Just bad luck or have there been recent reliability issues?
IME - bad luck.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:14 am

It will just be all Domestic, to/from DFW out of ORD as well as LGA occasionally. Thanks for the subscription pricing heads up. I guess it would be a matter of how many times I fly and utilizing the sub or if it was around $10 like they claim then it's a bit of a wash.

Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Colin22
It will just be all Domestic, to/from DFW out of ORD as well as LGA occasionally. Thanks for the subscription pricing heads up. I guess it would be a matter of how many times I fly and utilizing the sub or if it was around $10 like they claim then it's a bit of a wash.

Thanks!
If you will be flying 5-6 sectors per month it's probably worth buying the subscription. Don't bother with the multi-device subscription though, get yourself a mini router instead and use a single device which can then serve all your devices.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:14 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Colin22

Thanks!
On half a dozen recent domestic flights, mostly between Los Angeles and Chicago or Atlanta, the price for the duration of the flights was most often $25. On one flight from LAX to ORD it was $29 and one flight from ATL to LAX it was $19. On all the other flights it was $25. It was also $25 from ATL to PHX.

ETA: Let me add a few more data points from early May: LAX-BNA $25, BNA-DFW $19, DFW-LAX $25.
Colin22 likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2021 at 3:00 pm Reason: Add data points
Old Aug 8, 2021, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA EP, Hyatt Globalist
About to fly MIA to JFK on 773. Wifi status finder says no wifi on the flight...concerned that when they reassigned the planes to domestic, that they didn't make necessary changes to support domestic wifi?

Not sure 100%. Hoping it works. Will report back.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA EP, Hyatt Globalist
Posting from the flight -- WiFi works.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 7:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thirstyg
About to fly MIA to JFK on 773. Wifi status finder says no wifi on the flight...concerned that when they reassigned the planes to domestic, that they didn't make necessary changes to support domestic wifi?

Not sure 100%. Hoping it works. Will report back.
In my experience, the Panasonic Wi-Fi, which is what the wide-bodied fleet is equipped with, works when those planes are used on domestic flights. I have used it while flying domestically on the 773, 788 and 789. Most recently from LAX to ORD in late June. The only caveat is that it is very slow; it's nowhere near the ViaSat or GoGo 2Ku speeds.

P.S. Didn't see your update before I posted.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
Looks like iPass has just started to work on ViaSat, at least on the 32B I was on this morning. For me, it worked via both the macOS and Android apps and automatically connected with no CAPTCHA. However, on the aainflight.com roaming page, Boingo was the only option in the drop down, so it was very much of a suprise!

I believe this is in the last few days, and may not be on all aircraft yet.
Does anyone have a data point of iPass working on a recent Viasat flight? Trying to figure out if I should re-subscribe to the AA plan or not.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord
Does anyone have a data point of iPass working on a recent Viasat flight? Trying to figure out if I should re-subscribe to the AA plan or not.
Sadly, nope. I've tried. On some flights, the "roaming" option for Boingo appears, and on others it is iPass. I have iPass but have never gotten it to work on any AA flights other than widebodies with Panasonic service.
RememberTheConcord likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 11:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Sadly, nope. I've tried. On some flights, the "roaming" option for Boingo appears, and on others it is iPass. I have iPass but have never gotten it to work on any AA flights other than widebodies with Panasonic service.
Same observations here. I saw a link to iPass in late June on a 772 but iPass credentials didn't work. Didn't even see iPass as an option on a 738 this past weekend (only Boingo). Not even sure if iPass is even partner anymore.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 1:09 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Some of the envoy flights on E175 shows up as just having power, while other shows up with having wifi on the AA wifi status finder thing.

Do some of the E175's have wifi and some don't? Some with power and some not? I can't remember any flight without wifi or power on the e175.

Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2021, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Anyone have experience with AA's Wifi to the Caribbean (specifically AUA or CUR)? Aircraft is a MAX so I'm certain it will be Viasat. As much as I want to be on island time the minute I leave home on this trip, the powers that be schedule a major deadline on my outbound trip day and I need to at least monitor the insanity...
Old Oct 10, 2021, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Anyone have experience with AA's Wifi to the Caribbean (specifically AUA or CUR)? Aircraft is a MAX so I'm certain it will be Viasat. As much as I want to be on island time the minute I leave home on this trip, the powers that be schedule a major deadline on my outbound trip day and I need to at least monitor the insanity...
No personal experience, however, below is a screenshot of the AA Viasat coverage map which I captured in-flight on May 2, 2021. When I checked the Does your flight have Wi-Fi? link on AA.com, today's flight to CUR did not have Wi-Fi while the flight to AUA did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.