Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2021, 3:15 pm

Anyone know if the wifi on a 787-8 (ORD-HNL) will work over the Pacific ocean?

Last Nov, i was on a 321 NEO from LAX and the wifi dropped 30 minutes in the the flight and never came back
Old May 10, 2021, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by goldenkidx
Anyone know if the wifi on a 787-8 (ORD-HNL) will work over the Pacific ocean?

Last Nov, i was on a 321 NEO from LAX and the wifi dropped 30 minutes in the the flight and never came back
Viasat range ends not far off the coast. On the positive side, WIFI is free on LAX to Hawaii NEOs..... There is a coverage map that shows it only makes to a tip of Europe (forgot where)
Old May 10, 2021, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by mvoight
Viasat range ends not far off the coast. On the positive side, WIFI is free on LAX to Hawaii NEOs..... There is a coverage map that shows it only makes to a tip of Europe (forgot where)
Seems like AA and DL only have Viasat coverage in the Continental US. It would be nice if they have global coverage one day.
Old May 10, 2021, 5:01 pm

Sounds like the 787-8 has Panasonic which should work over the Pacific ocean en route to Hawaii?
TWA884 likes this.

Last edited by goldenkidx; May 10, 2021 at 5:22 pm
Old May 10, 2021, 9:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by goldenkidx
Sounds like the 787-8 has Panasonic which should work over the Pacific ocean en route to Hawaii?
Yes, it does.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences
Old Jun 7, 2021, 7:55 pm

Did AA raised Panasonic WiFi prices ? My friend flew ATH-JFK yesterday and he said it was 35 bucks for the whole flight and 29 bucks for 2 hours. It used to be 17 dollars for 2 hours and 19 for the duration of the flight. That’s bad news if true. Especially when they run widebodies domestically.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 9:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gateH15
Did AA raised Panasonic WiFi prices ? My friend flew ATH-JFK yesterday and he said it was 35 bucks for the whole flight and 29 bucks for 2 hours. It used to be 17 dollars for 2 hours and 19 for the duration of the flight. That’s bad news if true. Especially when they run widebodies domestically.
Domestically, the ViaSat and Gogo prices vary by route. In May, it was $19 for the duration of the flight from LAX to BNA and from DFW to LAX and $25 each way between LAX and ORD. It was cheaper from BNA to DFW perhaps $17 for the flight. The one hour rate was only slightly less; IIRC, $15 for LAX-BNA and DFW-LAX flights and $19 for the flights between LAX and ORD.
Old Jun 8, 2021, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
Domestically, the ViaSat and Gogo prices vary by route. In May, it was $19 for the duration of the flight from LAX to BNA and from DFW to LAX and $25 each way between LAX and ORD. It was cheaper from BNA to DFW perhaps $17 for the flight. The one hour rate was only slightly less; IIRC, $15 for LAX-BNA and DFW-LAX flights and $19 for the flights between LAX and ORD.
I was just curious if Panasonic is also gonna be dynamic pricing depending on the route or did they just raise it to 35?
Old Jun 18, 2021, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Should the monthly AA pass cover Panasonic to / from Hawaii on a 787? From my reading of the details of the plan, it should.

But neither my AAdvantage nor Airpass credentials ever work and emails to customer service only result in “we will research this for you.”
Old Jun 18, 2021, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by tismfu
Should the monthly AA pass cover Panasonic to / from Hawaii on a 787? From my reading of the details of the plan, it should.
From AA's WiFi Monthly American Airlines Plans webpage:
Overview of Subscription Plans:
  • One month of access to internet service on American Airlines/American Eagle North American (as defined below) flights equipped with Gogo, Panasonic or Viasat internet service.
  • Valid only on North American flights, i.e. those operating within the United States or between the United States and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Central America, where network coverage is available.
tismfu likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
update 2: AA refunding me for domestic Panasonic 787 flights after Panasonic customer service finally had a “solution” which was to contact AA’s Wi-Fi plan at this email:

[email protected]

Providing the address in case anyone has a similar issue.

As an update:

Airpass customer service says Panasonic-equipped planes not included. The verbiage on their website says no only to international Panasonic coverage (see below). I assume it’s a coverage issue over the Pacific, but their terms should be tweaked to reflect “continental US” or something to that effect.

AA / Panasonic customer service still has not responded to me after promising to “research” the issue. My assumption is that it’s the same thing.

Anyone successfully login to Wi-Fi on a 787 to Hawaii using their monthly membership?

Airpass Wi-Fi small print:
*Domestic Wi-Fi subscription will be available to all members coming soon. Your AirPass Wi-Fi subscription is valid on most domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Central America, where network coverage is available through the duration of your AirPass membership. Panasonic international Wi-Fi services are not included.

Last edited by tismfu; Jun 28, 2021 at 6:34 pm
Old Jul 23, 2021, 12:35 pm

Question AA Wifi price very unclear

Sorry if this is a generic post, thought maybe I could get some help here based on other questions people have posed. I wanted to see if anyone could help clarify for me American’s Wifi pricing as it doesn’t appear to be very straightforward on their website.

I typically fly United and previously had a Wifi subscription with them, however I am going to need to begin flying more on AA coming up due to relocating during the pandemic.

Can anyone help me understand what the prices are in general or what to expect? “For as little as $10” doesn’t really make me feel confident that’s what I’m actually going to pay. It would be helpful if this pricing was more clear upfront as it ends up just being a guessing game and then I don’t have a choice but to buy it onboard. Wondering if a subscription is the way to go with AA but I have nothing to go off of. For context I fly about 5-6 times per month. I appreciate any help. Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Someone can give you a much better answer, but while you wait for that expert... the problem is this. There are different Wifi providers on different plane models and also between primary carrier and their small regional partners. Also, the Wifi just straight up doesn't work on occasion, not too bad but still. So that has something to do with the price ambiguity... you truly never know what you're going to get. Even if you think you know, there's always equipment swaps... offers by the hour, trip, segment, and they'll probably change things again tomorrow.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Do you know what your typical routes will be?
Unless your routes will include international flights, the plan is pretty simple. $49.95/month for 1 device, or $59.95/month for two.
This covers Viasat (most of the fleet),Gogo (some of the fleet including regionals) and domestic Panasonic service on the widebodies.

American Airlines (american-wifi-subscription.com)
Old Jul 23, 2021, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Stop increase the wifi price!! It's rip off! Make it cheaper! Do not increase the wifi price anymore!

I PAY WIFI $11 and now it's INCREASE TO $15! Unacceptable! ENOUGH OF THIS!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.