Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Old Apr 8, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
From what FAs are telling me on the E175s and CRs wifi won't work on IOS. And when I tried to log in with an Iphone nada.
Interesting- is this a new problem? I never had issues on the E175. I just flew one a few weeks ago.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I had 4 flights on SKyWest 700s in the last few months and cannot connect with my iPhone.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 5:11 pm

I had this happen on an SQ flight a few years ago. Flight is tomorrow! Will be interesting to see how it goes. At least I have the computer for wifi!
Old Apr 8, 2021, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jhalapin
Go into the WiFi setting for that connection and turn off Private IP Address.

Doesn't matter on the Mainline planes, but GoGo will absolutely not connect with the Private IP Address set to ON>

YMMV
This is what you have to do on GoGo aircraft with an iOS device. It's weird but it seems localized to Eagle ATG-based aircraft.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

Doesn't matter on the Mainline planes, but GoGo will absolutely not connect with the Private IP Address set to ON>

YMMV
Same for the new Samsung 21 series, btw
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 7:29 pm

This has to be killing Gogo's business?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:58 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I have only had the "Private Address" issue on SkyWest operated CRJs...for some reason I don't have that issue on PSA operated ones.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, BonVoy Gold, BW Diamond, RR Premium
Never had a problem on CRJ-700s on AA. In fact, since it's GoGo and I use T-Mobile, I get a free hour of wifi, which is why I really like it.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 2:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
There is wi-fi but it is slow and as others mentioned, sometimes virtually unusable. I have been on a few Skywest CR7 flights this year where the FA announced that the plane wasn't equipped with wi-fi. Very frustrating when this happens. One of these was on a Skywest liveried bird, which also only had 6 First Class seats.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 5:16 am

Programs: AA CK, DL SM, UA PS, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium , Hyatt Globalist, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by nw6338
This has to be killing Gogo's business?
F/A actually told me about it on a flight that I was having difficulty connecting....
CLT likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:49 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat

YMMV
Same thing on all of my recent Android devices as well, figured it out on E175's.
jhalapin likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:53 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
F/A actually told me about it on a flight that I was having difficulty connecting....
Indeed. On a SkyWest flight I took in January, a FA actually made an overhead announcement about the "private address" feature and then walked around and demonstrated to several people how to disable it.
jhalapin likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I have a recurring problem on Viasat-equipped aircraft (currently I'm on an A321NX). I have the $59 2-device AA wifi subscription.

1. I log in on my phone. The wifi works.
2. I log in on my laptop. The wifi works.
3. On many occasions, like right now, the wifi then stops working on my phone. When I go to aainflight.com on my phone, there is no longer a "Log In" button (it's just gone) and my only options to "Get Online" are to pay $14/hour or $18/flight. I can chat with ViaSat who says over and over again that it's not their problem, contact AA, etc., never mind the fact that I then have to pay Viasat $18 to get online on my phone again (which I just did for probably the fourth time in the past few months). On a couple of prior occasions I contacted AA's wifi support after the fact and got a cryptic reply and a $10 refund (which is the delta between the 1-device and the 2-device plan), but that's not really the point, I pay for 2 devices and there's a disconnect somewhere. ViaSat says to contact support.aainflight.com, but that link doesn't appear to work in flight.

I've also reversed the sequence of logging into computer first and that doesn't change anything (not that I suspect it should). I use the same email address & Amex card for everything. Seems like there is a disconnect between AA and Viasat, and the "we're a separate company, not our problem" line from Viasat is really ticking me off.

Thoughts?
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I have a recurring problem on Viasat-equipped aircraft (currently I'm on an A321NX). I have the $59 2-device AA wifi subscription.

1. I log in on my phone. The wifi works.
2. I log in on my laptop. The wifi works.
3. On many occasions, like right now, the wifi then stops working on my phone. When I go to aainflight.com on my phone, there is no longer a "Log In" button (it's just gone) and my only options to "Get Online" are to pay $14/hour or $18/flight. I can chat with ViaSat who says over and over again that it's not their problem, contact AA, etc., never mind the fact that I then have to pay Viasat $18 to get online on my phone again (which I just did for probably the fourth time in the past few months). On a couple of prior occasions I contacted AA's wifi support after the fact and got a cryptic reply and a $10 refund (which is the delta between the 1-device and the 2-device plan), but that's not really the point, I pay for 2 devices and there's a disconnect somewhere. ViaSat says to contact support.aainflight.com, but that link doesn't appear to work in flight.

I've also reversed the sequence of logging into computer first and that doesn't change anything (not that I suspect it should). I use the same email address & Amex card for everything. Seems like there is a disconnect between AA and Viasat, and the "we're a separate company, not our problem" line from Viasat is really ticking me off.

Thoughts?
Sorry, but I don't have a solution for you. I know how you feel in situations like these because it's like you're being bounced around. Very poor customer service indeed.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:07 pm

For future lurkers, wifi worked well for me without any issue of a 'private' connection!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.