Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi in 2018 On (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 23, 19, 5:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi 2018 and Onward

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (being phased out to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada, on legacy US Airways Airbus A320 family of aircraft). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on most widebody international aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The eventual WiFi lineup after refit will be:

Airbus:

• A319 (Legacy AA): ViaSat
• A319 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo
• 32B Sharklets (A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): converting to ViaSat
. . . N101NN, N102NN, N103NN, N110AN at least have gone Viasat
• A330-200: Panasonic (all)
• A330-300: Panasonic (all)

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (under conversion)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 757-200 / 75L International: (some, provider unclear)
• 757-200 Hawaii MCE retrofit: ?
• 767-300ER: Panasonic (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (all)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: Gogo

McDonnell Douglas MD-80: Gogo

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo under conversion to Gogo Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -
Print Wikipost

Old May 18, 18, 12:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

With the various changes underway to AA in-flight WiFi, it’s time for a new thread to address the systems, changes and the goals for AA mainline flight connectivity.

If you have the requisite 90 days and 90 posts on FlyerTalk, lease feel free to update the Wikipost atbthe top of the page with updates, further changes, etc.

Thank you.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 4, 18 at 9:49 pm
Old Jun 4, 18, 11:58 am

Programs: American Airlines, Hilton, Hertz
757 to Alaska have WiFi?

How do i find out if the 757 i'm taking from DFW to Alaska will have WiFi. I'm most interested in streaming movies on my personal device via the AA app.

Google Flights says yes, but i'm not sure i've seen 757 with WiFi.
Old Jun 4, 18, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dc9703 View Post
How do i find out if the 757 i'm taking from DFW to Alaska will have WiFi. I'm most interested in streaming movies on my personal device via the AA app.

This thread is just a few down and discussing the exact same question...

Why doesn't 757 offer personal device entertainment?
Old Jun 4, 18, 4:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dc9703 View Post

The 757-223 fleet is all “75L” but WiFi is a mixed bag. See the fleet site here.
Old Jun 4, 18, 7:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
This thread is just a few down and discussing the exact same question...

Why doesn't 757 offer personal device entertainment?

thanks
Old Jun 4, 18, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

jordyn has pointed out all 767-323ER remaining in the fleet are equipped with (Panasonic satellite) WiFi in the archived 763 wifi thread.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 5, 18 at 7:09 am
Old Jun 8, 18, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Exp, Mar. Plat, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
A while back I remember AA announcing free messaging on flights, Does anyone know what the status of this is? I can't find reference it on AA.com. Google Hangouts does work, but nothing else does, slack, iMessage etc. There used to be a cheap messaging only plan but I don't see it offered anymore.
Old Jun 8, 18, 1:25 pm

Rather than edit the wiki, I figured I'd ask first.

Would anyone find it useful to list what works on which type of WiFi?
Example:
GoGo:
T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi)
iPhone imessage works

Panasonic:
T-Mobile Wi-Fi not available, so no texting.
iPhone iMessage works
Old Jun 8, 18, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hurnik View Post

Example:
GoGo:
T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi)
iPhone imessage works

Panasonic:
iPhone iMessage works
All it can do is add value; go for it. I think that would be very helpful, and I don’t have the information or experiences with AA WiFi to supply it.

Thank you!
hurnik likes this.
Old Jun 8, 18, 11:43 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club

Example:
GoGo:
iPhone imessage works

Panasonic:
iPhone iMessage works
Valuable info! thanks!

To me, the biggest difference between the two services is that GoGo lets subscribers log in with multiple devices. Panasonic restricts you to just one device per subscription.
Old Jun 9, 18, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by CloudCoder View Post
Valuable info! thanks!

To me, the biggest difference between the two services is that GoGo lets subscribers log in with multiple devices. Panasonic restricts you to just one device per subscription.
But only if you get the more expensive 2 device plan.

The longer term problem is the 3 providers, but since I'm primarily flying short hauls, I mostly now see gogo, but from time to time land on a viasat plane. So long as it stays that I only need 1 plan regardless of narrow body planes I'm ok. I would not be happy needing 2 plans not knowing the plane ahead of time, more so if on a 2 segment flight, the planes were split between provider so a day pass doesn't work.
Old Jun 11, 18, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
All it can do is add value; go for it. I think that would be very helpful, and I don’t have the information or experiences with AA WiFi to supply it.

Thank you!
Thanks, I'll work on this tomorrow so I can make sure I get the formatting correct. Or at least as consistent.
LOL!
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 11, 18, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by autdi View Post
But only if you get the more expensive 2 device plan.

The longer term problem is the 3 providers, but since I'm primarily flying short hauls, I mostly now see gogo, but from time to time land on a viasat plane. So long as it stays that I only need 1 plan regardless of narrow body planes I'm ok. I would not be happy needing 2 plans not knowing the plane ahead of time, more so if on a 2 segment flight, the planes were split between provider so a day pass doesn't work.
I subscribe to the GOGO monthly plan ($49), and when my wife and I travel together we can both log on at the same time.
Old Jun 11, 18, 11:44 pm

Example:
GoGo:
iPhone imessage works
I agree that would be helpful. I ended up on my first viasat-equipped 737 this weekend and had to figure out the lack of t-mobile free access by trial and error. I did see that viasat allows logging in with Boingo. Is the price still the same (23 cents / minute?) if you have a Boingo monthly plan through Amex? Or do you get any kind of discount? I couldn't remember my boingo password so I didn't get to find out.
Old Jun 12, 18, 2:02 am

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
ViaSat WiFi on LAX-JFK and I once again got the same error message I posted before about streaming not working.....WTH?

theres still seatback AVOD on this route but AA needs to get its act together with this streaming product.

Search this Thread