Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has fixed things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes out of the box on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. Gate to gate offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

737-800: ViaSat (all)
737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
787-9: Panasonic (all)
777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Old Sep 22, 2018, 12:11 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by usafltg
3 - the majority of air carriers, hotspots (paid ones, not just free ones) are covered through the service. One ring to rule them all so to speak.
In theory. Given my ~50% success rate in actually successfully using iPass inflight, I'd never pay a dime for it out of my own pocket.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Daniel Solis
samsung phones do pass wifi to other devices its called wifi sharing
Huh. Interesting. My phone has never prompted me to utilize that feature before, when turning on hotspot. It has always only told me that it will disable my wifi when activating the hotspot. Learned something new today. Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Please count me in.

There is an AA group that has been doing this (i.e creating an iPass account for frequent flyer use) successfully for the last year or so, but it will soon be disbanded as it was not an actual company and iPass is not going to renew the contract. I don't know how many users were on the account but it was certainly in the dozens.

That said, iPass has been amazing for the last year and the agreement we had allowed for up to five devices online at the same time, I believe. One device at a time wouldn't cut it for me.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by genotonda
Huh. Interesting. My phone has never prompted me to utilize that feature before, when turning on hotspot. It has always only told me that it will disable my wifi when activating the hotspot. Learned something new today. Thanks for the info.
I've seen that message which I thought was odd. I have T-mobile with unlimited GoGo, connect up on GoGo flights, turn on the hotspot on my Samsung, and then use my laptop. Unfortunately, Viasat is being installed on an increasing number of AA domestic flights.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Oops ... double post
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA-EXP Hilton Honors-PLT Admirals Club
https://www.ipass.com/blog/what-you-...nflight-wi-fi/

Looks like Viasat is included
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
LAX-HNL (AA31) Wifi?

Does this flight (on a A321 v1) still lose wifi over the water or is it good the whole time? Been at least a year since I flew out there but recall a number of times, I lost wifi after 30+ minutes over the Pacific.

Given the flight (tomorrow) is a work day, trying to prep in case I'm going to be 5 hours w/o access. Appreciate any recent knowledge. Thanks!

(FYI - I know AA shows the wifi icon but as noted above, I've seen that before and it doesn't work once you're out over the Pacific)

Last edited by sm82; Jan 17, 2019 at 6:53 pm
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA PPR
While all A321 ETOPS aircraft have been converted to VIASAT WI-FI systems. VIASAT coverage in that portion of the world is very similar to that of ground-based GOGO. So, in short, you should prepare to drop WIFI connectivity shortly after takeoff. I recall reading not so long ago that VIASAT was testing satellites to provide coverage to that area on a limited basis (so maybe you'll get lucky) and are expected to be fully online by 2020.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: CK or bust
It is indeed interesting that Viasats coverage, although sometimes greater than Gogo, is still somewhat limited when traveling outside of the US.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA PPR
Originally Posted by enpremiere
It is indeed interesting that Viasats coverage, although sometimes greater than Gogo, is still somewhat limited when traveling outside of the US.
I believe VIASAT now has full North Atlantic coverage. I don't have any knowledge, but my guess is the lack of coverage in other areas has something to do either with usage agreements for satellites or government regulations.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Gogo Inflight is no longer existing?

Hi all,

When it did happen? Is Gogo Inflight no longer partners with AA? Did they change the contract? I knows they have AA Inflight WiFi. I did not know that. They has been change. So I can used wifi during my flight and also, they already have international WiFi, too.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Gogo is still on some legacy aircraft. I flew on an s80 yesterday and it had Gogo. But aa is upgrading to inflight which is 100% better than Gogo. Gogo was and remains useless so I’m not disappointed to see Gogo go the way of the dodo
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
Gogo is still on some legacy aircraft. I flew on an s80 yesterday and it had Gogo. But aa is upgrading to inflight which is 100% better than Gogo. Gogo was and remains useless so Im not disappointed to see Gogo go the way of the dodo
I've had nothing but seamless gogo service and especially bitter since I have Tmobile with free gogo access.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
Gogo is still on some legacy aircraft. I flew on an s80 yesterday and it had Gogo. But aa is upgrading to inflight which is 100% better than Gogo. Gogo was and remains useless so Im not disappointed to see Gogo go the way of the dodo
There are several installations of Gogo, including a speedy 2Ku service. There's Panasonic satellite, too.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/state-...airlines-wifi/

The simple 'Gogo is slow' is incorrect.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There are several installations of Gogo, including a speedy 2Ku service. There's Panasonic satellite, too.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/state-...airlines-wifi/

The simple 'Gogo is slow' is incorrect.
I humbly disagree and have not had a single good Gogo experience. My own data point

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.