Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi 2018 (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 12:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

With the various changes underway to AA in-flight WiFi, it’s time for a new thread to address the systems, changes and the goals for AA mainline flight connectivity.

If you have the requisite 90 days and 90 posts on FlyerTalk, lease feel free to update the Wikipost atbthe top of the page with updates, further changes, etc.

Thank you.

Link to current thread.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 16, 2020 at 2:21 pm Reason: Add moderator note
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
757 to Alaska have WiFi?

How do i find out if the 757 i'm taking from DFW to Alaska will have WiFi. I'm most interested in streaming movies on my personal device via the AA app.

Google Flights says yes, but i'm not sure i've seen 757 with WiFi.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dc9703
How do i find out if the 757 i'm taking from DFW to Alaska will have WiFi. I'm most interested in streaming movies on my personal device via the AA app.

This thread is just a few down and discussing the exact same question...

Why doesn't 757 offer personal device entertainment?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dc9703

The 757-223 fleet is all “75L” but WiFi is a mixed bag. See the fleet site here.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This thread is just a few down and discussing the exact same question...

Why doesn't 757 offer personal device entertainment?

thanks
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

jordyn has pointed out all 767-323ER remaining in the fleet are equipped with (Panasonic satellite) WiFi in the archived 763 wifi thread.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 5, 2018 at 7:09 am
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
A while back I remember AA announcing free messaging on flights, Does anyone know what the status of this is? I can't find reference it on AA.com. Google Hangouts does work, but nothing else does, slack, iMessage etc. There used to be a cheap messaging only plan but I don't see it offered anymore.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:25 pm

Rather than edit the wiki, I figured I'd ask first.

Would anyone find it useful to list what works on which type of WiFi?
Example:
GoGo:
T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi)
iPhone imessage works

Panasonic:
T-Mobile Wi-Fi not available, so no texting.
iPhone iMessage works
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hurnik

Example:
GoGo:
T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi)
iPhone imessage works

Panasonic:
iPhone iMessage works
All it can do is add value; go for it. I think that would be very helpful, and I don’t have the information or experiences with AA WiFi to supply it.

Thank you!
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:43 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club

Example:
GoGo:
iPhone imessage works

Panasonic:
iPhone iMessage works
Valuable info! thanks!

To me, the biggest difference between the two services is that GoGo lets subscribers log in with multiple devices. Panasonic restricts you to just one device per subscription.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Valuable info! thanks!

To me, the biggest difference between the two services is that GoGo lets subscribers log in with multiple devices. Panasonic restricts you to just one device per subscription.
But only if you get the more expensive 2 device plan.

The longer term problem is the 3 providers, but since I'm primarily flying short hauls, I mostly now see gogo, but from time to time land on a viasat plane. So long as it stays that I only need 1 plan regardless of narrow body planes I'm ok. I would not be happy needing 2 plans not knowing the plane ahead of time, more so if on a 2 segment flight, the planes were split between provider so a day pass doesn't work.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
All it can do is add value; go for it. I think that would be very helpful, and I don’t have the information or experiences with AA WiFi to supply it.

Thank you!
Thanks, I'll work on this tomorrow so I can make sure I get the formatting correct. Or at least as consistent.
LOL!
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by autdi
But only if you get the more expensive 2 device plan.

The longer term problem is the 3 providers, but since I'm primarily flying short hauls, I mostly now see gogo, but from time to time land on a viasat plane. So long as it stays that I only need 1 plan regardless of narrow body planes I'm ok. I would not be happy needing 2 plans not knowing the plane ahead of time, more so if on a 2 segment flight, the planes were split between provider so a day pass doesn't work.
I subscribe to the GOGO monthly plan ($49), and when my wife and I travel together we can both log on at the same time.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:44 pm

Example:
GoGo:
iPhone imessage works
I agree that would be helpful. I ended up on my first viasat-equipped 737 this weekend and had to figure out the lack of t-mobile free access by trial and error. I did see that viasat allows logging in with Boingo. Is the price still the same (23 cents / minute?) if you have a Boingo monthly plan through Amex? Or do you get any kind of discount? I couldn't remember my boingo password so I didn't get to find out.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
ViaSat WiFi on LAX-JFK and I once again got the same error message I posted before about streaming not working.....WTH?

theres still seatback AVOD on this route but AA needs to get its act together with this streaming product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.