Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: txpenny
American Airlines In-Flight WiFi

NOTE: Three providers mean some gaps in how one pays for and uses WiFi in the long run, e.g. monthly passes, at least for now. But AA has “fixed” things so you are limited to a single device now (2020), rather than share your connection to different devices even serially, unless you bring a WiFi hotspot and connect that.

If you fly often, join the Monthly American Airlines Plan for $49.95 a month (plus tax). The pass is valid only on Gogo and Viasat Wi-Fi equipped domestic flights operating between airports within the United States, Canada, and Mexico, where network coverage is available. Wi-Fi services provided by Panasonic, regardless of destination, are not covered under the American Airlines Wi-Fi subscription plan. (aa.com)

You can always access aa.com for free during your flight.
Link to AA (unofficial) fleet site with WiFi, etc. listings for each aircraft

Link to AA tool flight status and WiFi (indicates WiFi, not type / provider)

Link to AA chat where you may easily cancel and request WiFi refunds

WiFi types (fee or pass required)

ViaSat Ka band satellite-based WiFi under installation in ~500 AA narrowbody aircraft, and comes “out of the box” on AA 737 MAX 8 aircraft. “Gate to gate” offered.

American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft"]American adding faster ViaSat WiFi to 500+ Aircraft (FT)

Link to ViaSat press announcement

Gogo cellular telephone dependent WiFi (converted to Gogo 2Ku band satellite Wi-Fi for many flights within the continental U.S. and southern Canada). Available above 10,000 ft MSL (Ku at any time). On the wane, as over 400 aircraft will be converted to ViaSat.

Link to credit cards supporting courtesy WiFi Gogo passes

Link to Gogo 2Ku page.

Link AirInsight article on Gogo loss of ~400 AA aircraft to ViaSat

Panasonic ExConnect Ku band aeronautical satellite network -based WiFi on widebody aircraft. Blacked out over China.

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences (FT)

The Jan 2020 WiFi lineup after refit is:

Airbus:

• A319: ViaSat or 2Ku
• A320 (Legacy US Airways): Gogo 2Ku
• A321 (Legacy US Airways): ViaSat
• A321 (Legacy AA - A321H, A321S): ViaSat
• 32B Sharklets (A321T): ViaSat

Boeing

• 737-800: ViaSat (all)
• 737 MAX 8: ViaSat (all)
• 787-8: Panasonic (Batch 1)
• 787-8: Viasat (Batch 2, 788T)
• 787-9: Panasonic (all)
• 777-200ER: Panasonic (all)
• 777-300ER: Panasonic (all)

Embraer E190: ?

Parenthetical notes:
all = all in fleet
no parenthetical note = goal, not current state; Gogo conversion to Gogo 2Ku
under conversion = varies by specific aircraft until conversion complete

(Thanks to ThreeJulietTango)

Wifi Speeds inflight : AA's new service is 10x as fast as Gogo Inflight

Onboard IFE streaming (free IFE to your personal device)

WiFi based onboard server-based streaming in flight entertainment (IFE) is being added to hundreds if aircraft, making AVOD streaming to your personal device the norm (as opposed to seatback flatscreen entertainment options).

Related: Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21

Mobile Phone support/features by Provider:

GoGo:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling and texting works (well I never tried the calling but, but it connects as T-Mobile WiFi). iPhone imessage works
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Panasonic:
T-Mobile - Wi-Fi calling not available, so no Wi-Fi texting. iPhone iMessage works (only when texting another iPhone user)
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Viasat:
T-Mobile - Will register as T-Mobile WiFi. WiFi texting works. Unknown about WiFi calling, but didn't want to chance it.
Verizon -
AT&T -
Sprint -

Link to archived 2018 posts

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: AA In-Flight WiFi (Gogo, ViaSat, Panasonic)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: AA PPR
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
I'm flying from PHL to SNN in Economy this September. Checked my reservation and didn't see a WiFi icon. I do see a WiFi icon, however, for my DUB to CLT flight home in economy on an Airbus 332. I know 757s are old equipment. But I thought the transatlantic ones would have been retrofitted for WiFi by now.

Also, anyone know if AA offers any discounts (refunds) on WiFi purchased using either a Barclays Aviator AAdvantage Business MC or a personal Citi AAdvantage Platinum MC?
All Trans-Atlantic 757's are retrofitted with Panasonic satellite WiFi. As far as I know AA does not offer any discounts of sorts on wifi using one of their co-branded cards. It is also important to note that you cannot use a Gogo monthly subscription on flights that have Panasonic WiFi.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
The Barclays cards now offer the following:

Aviator Red Mastercard: $25 WiFi yearly statement credit
Aviator Silver Mastercard: $50 WiFi yearly statement credit
Aviator Business: No credit

The Citi AA Platinum Business offers 25% off WiFi.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I flew one of these Dino birds Friday and if memory serves the pricing tiers were $12 for 2 hours, $17 for 4 and $19 for the duration. It was pretty fast too.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
What's Current Status of this?

Did you guys end up signing up for an iPass account or was US Mobile the way you had to go?

Long story short I need to access internet on Swiss on 2 days this week. Swiss charges $$$$$ for very little MBs. If someone has an account and is not using it, I will gladly compensate for those two days... Whatever you think is fair... Or if there is a way to add me for a month to the plan and pay for the service...

See my FT history have been on here since 2012 and have done transactions from the FT swap store before with no issues.

Please PM me if you can, thanks...
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by jvel

Thanks to all. If every AA TATL 757 has been retrofitted with WiFi I’m not sure why the WiFi logo doesn’t appear on my reservation, as it does on my A332 TATL return segment portion of the reservation.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat

Pretty weak of Citi to not offer this on any of the personal cards, even the exec, when the much cheaper Barclay cards offer it.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:31 pm

For the Aviator cards, the $25 WiFi yearly statement credit seems to only kick-in after one's first anniversary year. Or am I reading that incorrectly? First year of ownership on the Aviator card and I won't be renewing, so I guess that won't help me. Glad it's a perk for people who pay the annual fee:

https://creditcards.aa.com/barclay-c...es-aadvantage/
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:39 am

Any recent experience with Panasonic lately? Got a flight next week that I could really use internet for to catch up on work, but the last few times Panasonic has been unusable. Flight is on a 789 to PVG if that matters.
On that note, I understand internet access is blocked while over China. Anyone know approximately how many hours of the flight are considered over China? Is is the last 2..4...? that I should expect no internet?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Any recent experience with Panasonic lately? Got a flight next week that I could really use internet for to catch up on work, but the last few times Panasonic has been unusable. Flight is on a 789 to PVG if that matters.
On that note, I understand internet access is blocked while over China. Anyone know approximately how many hours of the flight are considered over China? Is is the last 2..4...? that I should expect no internet?
I see some mentions of Panasonic upgrading their systems from Gen 1 to Gen 3 on other airlines from 2017(source: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/panasonic-wifi-fix/). Anyone know what version AA runs or what upgrade plans may be?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Question on Gogo passes. I've got a pair of segments tomorrow - both on A320s (joy). Saw from the AA Google fleet site that the Wifi is listed as GoGo 2Ku. I've got two Gogo day passes still in my account.Can I use them on the 2Ku system?
Old Oct 28, 2019, 4:28 pm

Wifi on these AA Hawaii Flights?

Hi All,

I am looking at booking flights LAX-KOA which are showing as operated by A321. Flights AA59 and AA58. Anyone know if these are serviced by satellite wifi yet? Can book roughly the same flights times with UA and since price is roughly the same, would prefer whichever has satellite wifi if either does.

Thanks,

J.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:21 pm

No they aren't, I took this flight about a week ago. The planes are equipped with satellite WiFi but it only works within 30 mins of LAX and is dead for the rest of the trip.

LAX-HNL on the A321 is the same as well.
jgoodm likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:29 pm

I am wondering if this is the same daily or changes throughout the week. If not, maybe I will just take Hawaiian. Flying in F. Definitely no Wifi but I heard its a nice product...
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Olly-
No they aren't, I took this flight about a week ago. The planes are equipped with satellite WiFi but it only works within 30 mins of LAX and is dead for the rest of the trip.

LAX-HNL on the A321 is the same as well.
Yeah, you would think if AA created a special subfleet that was primarily designed to fly LAX<->Hawaii AND since they have three different WiFi providers, they wouldn't have chosen the provider whose coverage map looks like this:

https://www.viasat.com/viasat-2-cove...la-to-istanbul

But they did. The good news is if they start flying these birds to Istanbul sometime, Viasat is planning to expand coverage in that direction.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jordyn
Yeah, you would think if AA created a special subfleet that was primarily designed to fly LAX<->Hawaii AND since they have three different WiFi providers, they wouldn't have chosen the provider whose coverage map looks like this:

https://www.viasat.com/viasat-2-cove...la-to-istanbul

But they did. The good news is if they start flying these birds to Istanbul sometime, Viasat is planning to expand coverage in that direction.
I wonder if Turkish Air has it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.