Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA1897 SAT - PHX emergency descent, ELP divert 3 Jun 2018 (hail)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA1897 SAT - PHX emergency descent, ELP divert 3 Jun 2018 (hail)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:25 am

I am shocked that the nose got such extreme damage...
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Looking at that photo, I would bet there is more damage than just the nose cone and wind screen. Leading edges, skin above cockpit. Think about your car after a big hailstorm with all the pits. Then think about an A319 flying at 400 miles per hour and hitting those stones.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
No other choices at 35K feet? I would think at that flight level and speed, the pilots wouldn't want to go into even a "mild" rainstorm. Must have been a wall of clouds in front of them?
Our local meteorologist shared radar images on Twitter that showed a line of red/orange thunderstorms with a small gap of green which is where the pilot tried to go. So yes, it was a pure wall of storms.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Looking at that photo, I would bet there is more damage than just the nose cone and wind screen. Leading edges, skin above cockpit. Think about your car after a big hailstorm with all the pits. Then think about an A319 flying at 400 miles per hour and hitting those stones.
I'd certainly want to have the fan blades inspected! It'd be like pitching rocks into them.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by scolbath
I'd certainly want to have the fan blades inspected! It'd be like pitching rocks into them.
Oh, those things are hardened steel! It's like putting ice in a blender! Too bad there wasn't a catch-all behind it to make some margaritas in ELP when they landed!
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
More photos out there, these from Storm Chasers.
Attached Images    

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 5, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:54 pm

The cockpit crew made an excellent difficult landing. But USDOT and AA may have a bone to pick with their routing choices given DEN ATC and recent PiReps warnings. (Storm Chasers)
Attached Images   
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Very much Monday morning quarterbacking, I know, especially because we only have a static radar pic here and don't know exactly what it looked like at the time the plane entered the front...yet...it sure seems like there was a shorter and more open route:

Last edited by DenverBrian; Jun 5, 2018 at 7:12 pm
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Very much Monday morning quarterbacking, I know, especially because we only have a static radar pic here and don't know exactly what it looked like at the time the plane entered the front...yet...it sure seems like there was a shorter and more open route:

True this. But the ATC warnings and pireps... it’ll be sorted by AA and the regulators. Hella good airmanship getting it down and landing uneventfully at ELP, regardless.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Since the radar photo was taken "long" (by weather standards) after getting hit by hail, since there's a path all the way to the ground, I would assume there were storms in that spot back then. It's both clear (after landing in ELP) and points in the direction of PHX. They turned to go north then west, presumably to avoid weather.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Since the radar photo was taken "long" (by weather standards) after getting hit by hail, since there's a path all the way to the ground, I would assume there were storms in that spot back then. It's both clear (after landing in ELP) and points in the direction of PHX. They turned to go north then west, presumably to avoid weather.
Yep, the investigators will have a better handle on the exact radar picture at the time decisions were made.

It feels to me like more of an ATC error or poor communication among pilots ahead of the flight reporting the level of turbulence/weather.

If they actually "threaded the needle," it's very concerning to me. I do not want my flight "threading a needle" thinking they can squeak by severe weather. I'd much prefer a turnaround to that.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Looking through the Convective SIGMETs issued that night, at 2355Z, there was a warning of 2 inch hail in an area covering much of Eastern New Mexico. (The SIGMETs are a pain to decipher, so I could be wrong though).

This SIGMET seemed to have deterred most aircraft from flying across that area, but based on flight-tracker PlaneFinder, there were at least 3 other aircraft that flew through that "gap" in the weather. The problem with severe/extreme weather is that it can be localized, so it doesn't surprise me that no other aircraft reported such damage. Based on the track of AA1897 and the weather radar archive, my non-professional opinion is that it flew a little too far north for whatever reason, and went right into the hail core of the storm.

Golf-ball sized hail (1.75-2 inches) at >400mph can definitely cause that kind of damage
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:18 pm

Here is a detailed write-up from an aviation meteorology point of view: Mike Smith Enterprises Blog: Aeronautical Malpractice? Flying Through a Hailstorm!

These happen far too frequently.
JDiver and HofstraJet like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KansasMike
Here is a detailed write-up from an aviation meteorology point of view: Mike Smith Enterprises Blog: Aeronautical Malpractice? Flying Through a Hailstorm!

These happen far too frequently.
Very interesting. Good read. Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:31 pm

A large thunderstorm can spit hail out it's top higher than 50,000 feet. It then can move up to 20 miles from the storm and fall in clear skies. Hail is also largely invisible to onboard weather radar.

Stuff happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.