Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Refitted Oasis 738 / 737-800 Main Cabin / Economy and MCE Meridian Seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Boeing 737-800 retrofitted with Rockwell Collins Meridian MC / MCE seating under “Project Oasis”.

In accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all Boeing 737-800 will be retrofitted between to the “out of the box” configuration of the 737 MAX 8 between 2018 and 2021. The first refitted aircraft of 304 Boeing 738 airframes, N979AN, re-entered Service 13 May 2018.

Rockwell Collins / Collins Aerospace (they bought B/E Aerospace in 2018) claims their 9 kg / 20 lb Meridian seat is wider, that a true 30” seat pitch “feels like 32” and has designed a seat trio that hugs the fuselage wall more than previous seats and by filling the gap between seats. Armrests are about 30% narrower than previous Economy seats. (That means some have reported the window seat is uncomfortably close to the fuselage wall, and armrest conflicts are more common. Southwest has the same seats, though at a more generous seat pitch.) The AA Meridian switched seatback IFE for a PED device holder.

Reconfigured Main Cabin Extra seat pitch is set at 33” / 84 cm, with a 4" / 10 cm recline as far as we know. Width is 17” / 43 cm.

Main Cabin seat pitch is set at 30” / 76 cm, with a 2" / 5 cm limited recline.

Exit row seats (rows 16, 17) do not have tray tables stored in immovable arm rests, so in addition to having greater seat pitch their width is unrestricted by arm rests with tray table storage pockets.

Lavatory: New slimmer B/E Aerospace (now Rockwell Collins ultra slim “Spacewall“ lavatories are part of the refit. The Main Cabin lav is even smaller than the First / Business lav. Note Delta Air Lines and Southwest Airlines are installing the same lavs in 737 MAX aircraft.

WiFi, IFE and Power: Satellite based WiFi (fee); IFE served frim onboard server to your AA app on your own device via WiFi (free); 110 VAC universal plug and 5 VDC 1.1 amp USB port. PED holder in the seatback.

See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

The MCE / Economy thread for the older configuration seating is here

You should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Content moved to Wikipost.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 19, 2018 at 7:59 am
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I hope to be off American by the time I see these config changes start to hit. I can at least tolerate a bit in MCE.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmodemd
I hope to be off American by the time I see these config changes start to hit. I can at least tolerate a bit in MCE.
Too late. The first refitted 787-800 is flying now.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I am almost exclusively on LUS A321s so it looks I have a little bit more time (2019) before getting trapped on one of these configurations...
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Has anyone flown on an oasis 737? Are the exit rows like the ones on the MAX, with moveable armrests and the tray tables in front of you?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:40 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
I checked in last night for my flight today and selected row 15 exit row. Then this morning I look and it shows exit rows as 16 and 17. So I’m thinking it’s 7M8 of a oasis-ed existing 737. I check the tail number and it shows an old 737 on the fleet page.

Is this just bad data on the seat map display?

trying to decide if I should snag row 10 to at least have MCE or risk staying in 15 hoping it’s some kind of glitch and we actually are in an exit row.

Thoughts?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I checked in last night for my flight today and selected row 15 exit row. Then this morning I look and it shows exit rows as 16 and 17. So I’m thinking it’s 7M8 of a oasis-ed existing 737. I check the tail number and it shows an old 737 on the fleet page.

Is this just bad data on the seat map display?

trying to decide if I should snag row 10 to at least have MCE or risk staying in 15 hoping it’s some kind of glitch and we actually are in an exit row.

Thoughts?
My AC is 805NN. Which per an article from Gary Leff is indeed an Oasis-ized 737. Can someone have this updated on the AA Fleet site?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly

My AC is 805NN. Which per an article from Gary Leff is indeed an Oasis-ized 737. Can someone have this updated on the AA Fleet site?
Have you contacted the author of that site?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Have you contacted the author of that site?
Ah I didn’t see the way to contact them. I see it now, will email them.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
Does anyone know if the JFK-SEA 738's have been retrofitted yet? and is it Version 1 or 2 or the MAX? I've picked up a new client and would like to know what I'm in for. Thanks.
jvel likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
very annoying to have to check and recheck to make sure one remains in exit row
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
very annoying to have to check and recheck to make sure one remains in exit row
so avoid exit rows now and stick to MCE only rows 8-9.....never failed me so far.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981

so avoid exit rows now and stick to MCE only rows 8-9.....never failed me so far.
I'm tall, need that exit row leg room.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I'm tall, need that exit row leg room.
better have MCE somewhat ok legroom vs getting oasised and end up with 30” pitch. I guess you could pick exit row seat last minute. Usually those are the last seats to be filled at the gate
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gateH15

better have MCE somewhat ok legroom vs getting oasised and end up with 30” pitch. I guess you could pick exit row seat last minute. Usually those are the last seats to be filled at the gate
If flight is already set to be Oasis a few months out, it'll probably stick right? I'm banking on clearing the UDU anyway, it's a leisure route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.