Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Excellent Customer service for medical refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest

Often times folks complain about customer service. This message is a complement to the customer service people at American Airlines.

My wife had two trips planned -- one to a conference in NYC -- so round trip from Phoenix purchased flights, and one two weeks later to NYC (purchased) and return from London (frequent flyer miles).

Two weeks prior to the first flight -- my wife had a seizure -- two days later surgery for a brain tumor. Clearly the plans were tossed in the bucket.

I contacted American airlines with this information and provided all the flight details.

Within a week, American airlines refunded all the flight costs including the frequent flyer miles.

They noted this was not policy == but given the situation, they made an exception without any hassle at all.

Given that my wife (and I) are in a very stressful situation, I was quite pleased with the response at American Airlines -- this was over and above what they were required to do and it was much appreciated.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:10 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Very sorry to hear of the medical issues - hope she is greatly improving.

Curious as to your status with AA - was that a factor?

And I think you are very fortunate to get the refund.

Again, I hope all is OK now.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Wow Barry -- I hope your wife is on the mend! And kudos to AA for providing the refunds. When dealing with the stress that comes with health issues, every little gesture and stress reliever is welcome.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:49 am
Original Poster

We're both Gold status -- perhaps that was a factor.

As to my wife -- well she is in the middle of radiation/chemo -- we are hoping for the best. She has mostly recovered from the surgery but with the radiation fatigue will be a problem this coming month.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:54 am
Original Poster

I would note that for the vacation trip she had scheduled with Road Scholar -- we had separate insurance coverage there -- not with the Road Scholar folks -- and so had American not refunded the insurance company would have seen the claim there.

In fact the comprehensive insurance coverage worked well -- after providing them with all the information (including a doctor's certification), the insurance coverage was handled very quickly. I got all the paperwork together -- took about a week or so for that -- sent it off to the insurance company via email, and within 48 hours they confirmed full payment -- received the check within a week. So that worked out as well. We've always used comprehensive insurance for international vacation travel and this was the first time we needed to make a claim and I am happy to report it was handled painlessly and quickly.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I do hope the surgery and radiation do the job and your wife recovers quickly. With challenges like that, it’s always good when suppliers are responsive and don’t erect barriers.

We had a similar experience with a trip SMF-BGI return and cruise out of BGI. My wife became quite ill, and AA refunded the full fare to the original FOP, though the fares weren’t fully refundable. The insurer promptly refunded the cruise. (I’d mention the insurer, but they’ve been reorganized out of business.)

You also were smart in not purchasing Road Scholar’s offered insurance IMO, as most travel suppliers’ offered products generally do not pay in cases of supplier failure.

Which insurance company did you use? Some members might prefer to do business with a company that has demonstrably customer-friendly practices.

Best thoughts and hopes your wife’s way!
wrp96 and BarryAZ like this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:06 am
Original Poster

The insurance company was CSA Travel Protection . I typically arrange insurance vie the Insure my trip site and did in this case since the coverages, costs and carriers are described it detail and are also peer reviewed.

Because our travel is often complex -- combining tours or cruises with on our own time and the like, it makes much more sense to purchase comprehensive 3rd party coverage. I suppose increasingly one can rely on modest vacations on newer features included in credit cards -- not sure that would work for us.

As to my wife -- it's a GBO cancer -- that's the same form that John McCain is coping with. Realistically it is a 'when' not 'if' form of cancer. Since it was detected very early and the tumor was completely removed, and we are getting the best possible care at Mayo (which is just up the street from our home), and may qualify for some encouraging study protocols. my hope is that the 'when' is at least 18 months out and perhaps 48 or more months out. In addition, my hope is that every month we have is a quality month.

As it is, we are moving forward with some travel -- short trips in July, and then a long trip next March/April to Italy, France and Ireland -- that trip too will be covered with insurance.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage
My experience has been that AA service is worst on the front line. The back end is usually pretty good - customer service, Admirals Club, etc. That's not universally true - I know some great FA's and GA's - but in general over 25 years of flying with them that is my impression. Kudos to the CS team for stepping up and doing the right thing.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:53 pm
In memoriam

Bravo to American!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.