Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Does Free Alcohol in MCE Decrease the Value of Gold Status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Free Alcohol in MCE Decrease the Value of Gold Status?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Woudnt most OWE/Ex Plats be sitting in MCE already and wont see a change to the benefit?
Old May 31, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: Free Agent
I'm a free agent and loving it (all personal travel). When priced the same out of my airport - non-hub so usually connecting - I have been choosing Delta for their EC rather than MCE on AA because they do serve alcohol.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
Woudnt most OWE/Ex Plats be sitting in MCE already and wont see a change to the benefit?
Agreed with this. I don't buy the "change in perceived value". If I have a benefit and then other people seated around me also get that same benefit without impacting my ability to continue getting the benefit, it doesn't make the benefit any less valuable to me. Unless you are a DYKWIA type who wants to feel important .

An exception would apply in the case where someone is doing a bunch of MRs to obtain EXP so they can get a free drink in coach-- in this case, they can now buy up to MCE and be just as happy (of course, ignoring all the other benefits of status). But again, it's creating more ways to get a benefit (buy MCE or have status, not just one or the other). That's unquestionably a good thing for frequent flyers.
Pasqualle7 likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by no2chem
I disagree. It decreases the perceived value of EXP status, because now anyone in mce gets a free drink. I mean I guess I still get a free snack...

Hopefully they let exp have free sparkling or something, if they're going to charge extra for that.
Everyone gets sparkling according to T+L The Hidden Perk You'll Get With American Airlines? Extra Legroom Seats | Travel + Leisure. I find it hard to believe that 1 free drink per flight was such a value point over the other exclusive EXP benefits that remain.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you get free booze, you get free booze. Why does it matter that the guy next to you also gets it and what he paid for his seat?

If that mattered, people would go nuts over the fact the they paid $1,000 for a seat which somebody else bought for $200.
wetrat0 likes this.
Old May 31, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AAdamE
Everyone gets sparkling according to T+L The Hidden Perk You'll Get With American Airlines? Extra Legroom Seats Travel + Leisure. I find it hard to believe that 1 free drink per flight was such a value point over the other exclusive EXP benefits that remain.

I can't remember the last time any flight I was on--including TA--had any sparkling wine available in regular coach, MCE, nor even PE. It's been years, despite claims to the contrary in the back of the magazine or on the beverage menu.

I did just case out MCE prices on a trip I have next week and I think they have increased the MCE prices (unless they were already liquid) to cover the booze. I paid $24 each way (at 50%, so retail at $48 each) and they are now showing at $32 each, so that would be $64 retail. That's a third more expensive that they were a couple months ago when I bought the ticket. I have another trip at the end of the month where I have NOT bought MCE and I think I'll wait until T-24 to see what happens.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
I have a seven segment RT booked for July and was lucky enough to get a free status challenge through work which has bumped me up to Plat again from Gold. Free MCE + a drink if my upgrade does not clear? Sign me up!
Old May 31, 2018, 2:58 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I don’t think it decreases any value for elites - those who already receives a drink will continue to receive one and those who didn’t now will receive one.

If MCE prices went up then this decreases the value for those who pays for MCE and doesn’t consume alcohol.

What I wonder is this benefit only valid on the first round and if someone wants a second they will have to pay? Sorry a little out of the loop on this new benefit.
Old May 31, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
I see the complimentary access to MCE within 24 hours of the flight as the greatest benefit of Gold status.

Now that MCE includes free alcohol, I wonder if more people will buy up to MCE and decrease chances of a Gold member getting a free MCE seat within 24 hours of the flight. Thoughts?
I think there will be some small number of times when enough people are tempted to buy up to MCE and it will impact availability, but it will be rare. A rational buyer (not everybody) will realize that if you want a drink, just pay on the plane. Also, there is no value to this for most people on morning flights and many people on afternoon flights.

As to the questions about whether you get one per beverage service or not, it's probably a moot point for me. The vast majority of my flights are 2.5 to 3.25 hours. I've only seen the FA's come around with the beverage carts 2X in Y one time over the last year-and-half that I've been paying attention.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by AAdamE
Everyone gets sparkling according to T+L The Hidden Perk You'll Get With American Airlines? Extra Legroom Seats Travel + Leisure. I find it hard to believe that 1 free drink per flight was such a value point over the other exclusive EXP benefits that remain.
Oh good to know. Sitting in MCE not realizing this had taken effect already, was surprised no credit cards were asked for today.

I mean overall it's good, by reducing perceived value i mean when I list whether exp is worth it or not, this factor is no longer part of the calculation (think about justifying MRs to a colleague - you won't be able to say, cause I am exp, I get free drinks even when I have to sit in the back - they'll just say, but I get that too).
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Any nonelites newly choosing MCE based on the addition of free alcohol will likely be offset by nonelites who decide not to opt for it based on the marginal price increase.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Hello,

My question might be slightly off-topic, but will an Ex Plat sitting in a non-MCE seat in coach, still receive a free alcoholic beverage? Or with the new rules, do they have to be sitting in an MCE seat to receive the free beverage?

Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Airlineanorak
Hello,

My question might be slightly off-topic, but will an Ex Plat sitting in a non-MCE seat in coach, still receive a free alcoholic beverage? Or with the new rules, do they have to be sitting in an MCE seat to receive the free beverage?

Thanks.
They should absolutely still receive it, as that’s a published EXP benefit and totally different than the MCE enhancement.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: AA - My other choices are severely limited
Just to add insight as to the product cost (I'm ITB), a bottle of Woodford Reserve is invoiced to AA at a cost of around 53 cents, delivered to the caterer.
Add on the additional cost of putting it on the aircraft and carry it around in the air makes me believe there would be hardly any significant increase in MCE fares.
AAway likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 10:19 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Nomorepretzels
Just to add insight as to the product cost (I'm ITB), a bottle of Woodford Reserve is invoiced to AA at a cost of around 53 cents, delivered to the caterer.
Add on the additional cost of putting it on the aircraft and carry it around in the air makes me believe there would be hardly any significant increase in MCE fares.
Yes but have to also look at the opportunity cost. AA will lose out on the $5-6 profit margin per drink sold. At the same time AA will turnover liquor inventory quicker which will help decrease inventory costs.

Some have reported MCE prices have gone up nominally and one case posted above they went up around $8.

In the grand scheme of things I think this enhancement will be neutral for AA’s bottom line. All a wash between the slightly incremental revenue they will see from MCE revenue and the added cost of serving free drinks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.