Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Intl departures from DFW terminal A or C?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist

Just landed at DFW and noticed a 772 (N750AN) at gate A23. Looks like it is off to EZE.

when did AA start sending widebodies internationally out of A? I have taken a handful of DFW-LAX or ORD widebodies that leave A or C as well as some Hawaii flights, but haven't ever seen a international departure out of A.

anyone know why?
Old May 28, 2018, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

To clarify International widebody departure. Have flown to Canada and Mexico via A and C
Old May 28, 2018, 5:28 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I've seen several Europe flights leave from A in the past. I guess it doesn't really matter where they leave from as opposed to where they arrive.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
I'm leaving for PEK out of DFW in J on Wednesday, 30 May, and flight status is showing Terminal A departure right now. I thought it was strange, especially with the temp Premium Lounge in Terminal D.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
This happens from time to time and has been going on for years. Back when DFW-CDG was still a 763, I remember it would depart out of Terminal C every once in awhile. Of course, there's only a handful of gates in A and C that can handle a widebody.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:53 pm

My MEX flight is frequently out of A and I see a CDG and MAD flight out of A23/A24 often.
Old May 28, 2018, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Just landed at DFW...

Well by golly we could have had a beverage.
Old May 28, 2018, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Well by golly we could have had a beverage.
Next time. Haha

Thank you all for the responses.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by VaBeachGirl
I'm leaving for PEK out of DFW in J on Wednesday, 30 May, and flight status is showing Terminal A departure right now. I thought it was strange, especially with the temp Premium Lounge in Terminal D.

Took a PEK out of D in April and A in early, albeit a late gate change. AC is much better in A than D at the moment anyways.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The gate spacing at Terminal A is convenient for these as nit that long ago it was the international terminal, with apron space fir DC-10, 777 etc., and of course as the USA doesn’t currently have emigration / International departure controls, it’s easy for AA as well. Iirc we departed to MAD in November from A. And of course A used to be the International terminal. So it’s certainly capable of handling 777s.

(On a related note, I’ve not visited the A Club since it reopened, but I’m imagining the vestigial remains of the Flagship and Arrivals Lounges are completely gone now. )

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 13, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Old May 28, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
DFW-Hawaii flights often depart from the former international arrivals gates in the middle of Terminal A that remain capable of accommodating large widebody aircraft even though they are no longer connected to FIS. For the same reason (tarmac/gate spacing), occasional international flights will depart from there. However, I believe AA's preferred departure terminal for international flights is Terminal D.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
​​​​I saw the flight to AMS depart out of A21 about 10 days ago. I too thought it was very strange to see a European flight depart out of A; especially since terminal D is set up for all of the big international flights (duty-free, customs/immigration etc). If one wants duty-free and is departing out of A would they have to travel to D to get it or is there a small/temporary spot in A now?
Old May 29, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Just flew out of A gate right in front of the A Terminal Admirals Club last week to Amsterdam. The incoming flight on the aircraft was from Hawaii so that makes sense that no international terminal was needed for them inbound.

This is was nice because we could just remain in the lounge until boarding and then walk right out and onto the plane.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by jackvogt
I've seen several Europe flights leave from A in the past. I guess it doesn't really matter where they leave from as opposed to where they arrive.
I've seen a 777 parked at A21. It's kind of funny as you exit TSA security check point there and the first thing you see if this huge arse nose of a plane looking at you. lol
Old May 29, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
(On a related note, I’ve not visited the A Club since it reopened, but I’m imagining the vestigial remains of the Flagship and Arrivals Loungesare completely gone now. �� )
It's pretty much still there, but because the lobby is so much more open, the entrance to this area is more obvious than prior to the renovation, so more people venture into the area than previously. The "private" bathrooms are still there.
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.