Airport ticketing cutoff time - 1 hr?

Old May 25, 2018, 8:13 pm
wmz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Airport ticketing cutoff time - 1 hr?

TLDR - Is the ticket purchase cutoff (at the airport) for a flight 1 hour before takeoff? I think I was overcharged $71.

Bought my first walk-up fare today for AA 6024 (4:10PM). I tried to do it over the phone at 3PM, but the agent said I had to go to the airport, since it was within 2 hours. I got to the airport at 3:25PM, and the agent quoted a 1 hour cutoff rule. Instead, the agent said I had to buy a ticket for AA 6025 (5:40PM) and standby for 6024. The fare was $71 more. I had plenty of time to go through security and clear the standby list for 6024, which I ended up taking.

I'm skeptical of this 1 hour cutoff, since it's not written anywhere, the AA app was presenting a fare to me available for airport purchase at 3:26PM, and the OP of this thread was able to purchase a ticket ~45 mins before takeoff. Do I have grounds to request a refund?

Screenshot of the available fare on the app:

Old May 25, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
I have booked a ticket at the airport 50 minutes prior to departure without a problem. Maybe it depends on the airport. The agent however did say that she has to hurry and type everything in because it will lock her out when it too close to departure.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I can recall a ticketing cut-off of 60 minutes, but in the hyperlinked, detail-deleted mess presented as the Domestic Contract of Carriage, can't find it presently.
Old May 26, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I booked one at T30 a couple weeks ago.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
I don't know the ticketing cut off. However, there is a T-45 checkin cutoff for all flights except the shuttle. So I can't imagine that it would be possible to buy a ticket after T-45 since you would at that point be unable to check in. 3:25 PM to 4:10 PM (from the OP) is exactly 45 minutes.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I can't imagine it's 60 min for Shuttle flights, so it's likely not a universal policy.
Old May 26, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
And IIRC its two or three hours for award bookings.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would send a note to AA asking for a refund, citing the T-45 check-in and ask that if AA can't make the refund that it document the T-60 ticketing deadline for you. Make sure that you ask for a refund as opposed to some customer service gesture.

The mere fact that others have been able to book later doesn't mean much. Same thing as excess weight in checked bags, size of cabin bags, change fees and the like. It's largely about the individual agent unless the terminal locks the agent out at T-60.
Old May 26, 2018, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
I would send a note to AA asking for a refund, citing the T-45 check-in and ask that if AA can't make the refund that it document the T-60 ticketing deadline for you. Make sure that you ask for a refund as opposed to some customer service gesture.

The mere fact that others have been able to book later doesn't mean much. Same thing as excess weight in checked bags, size of cabin bags, change fees and the like. It's largely about the individual agent unless the terminal locks the agent out at T-60.
I don't know how citing a 45 minute check in rule would do anything other than support the AA agent's position

It was only at T-45 that the person turned up at the airport

It would not be possible to get to the ticketing desk, process the purchase of the ticket and get checked in by T-45 , when arriving at the airport at T-45
C17PSGR likes this.

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 26, 2018 at 3:00 pm
Old May 26, 2018, 8:08 pm

I've done T-30 between Canada & US. I had no expectations but the agent was willing to try at the ticketing/check-in desk. They were able to sell me the ticket no problem, but then it clicked over to boarding and was under control of the boarding gate so they actually couldn't check me in. They had to call down to the boarding gate, who were able to get me checked in, and then they could print the boarding pass. I had no real expectation and was pleasantly surprised. It was the last AA flight for the night and I would've been on another carrier.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1

OP arrived at the airport at T-45, so it would not be possible to check in by T-45 if the ticket was not even purchased yet.
Old May 27, 2018, 7:19 pm
wmz
Original Poster

I tried tweeting AA and asking for the $71 fare difference refund. Their response was that they do have a cutoff (but didn't confirm 1 hour). Responded and asked where the T-60 cutoff is documented, so we'll see what they say. This seems like a pretty important detail for anyone who needs a last-minute fare.
Old May 27, 2018, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by wmz
I tried tweeting AA and asking for the $71 fare difference refund. Their response was that they do have a cutoff (but didn't confirm 1 hour). Responded and asked where the T-60 cutoff is documented, so we'll see what they say. This seems like a pretty important detail for anyone who needs a last-minute fare.
Whether there is a 60 minute cutoff seems irrelevent - by your own statement, you indicated that you didnt get to airport until T-45 by which time it is documented that passengers need to be checked in
Old May 28, 2018, 12:06 am
wmz
Original Poster

I guess that makes sense, and I wasn't actually aware that T-45 check-in was a documented rule for domestic flights without checked bags (never had a situation where I wasn't able to check in earlier). So it seems that realistically, the cutoff is something like T-60, which gives enough time for the ticket to be issued for the T-45 check-in cutoff. However, I guess some agents will still make the effort, given that the computer's check-in cutoff is actually T-27.
Old May 28, 2018, 3:54 am

It is documented at https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/arrival-times.jsp

Originally Posted by aa
Check-in times

You can check-in online or from the app starting 24 hours before and up to 45 minutes before departure (90 for international).
Check-in online »
American Airlines app »

To check-in and check bags at the airport, you must be there a certain amount of time before scheduled departure:
■Within the U.S. - 45 minutes
■To or from destinations outside the U.S. - 60 minutes

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.