Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Lengthy domestic connections now permitted to/from more cities on AA award travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lengthy domestic connections now permitted to/from more cities on AA award travel?

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Here, have a yuuuuge layover/free stopover on us...

Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:28 am
Suspended

yes, changed:
Old Jul 14, 2018, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Here, have a yuuuuge layover/free stopover on us...

Second prize, forty hours in beautiful downtown Philadelphia.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Can management of this company do any more to discourage loyalty?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
While AA seems to award itself the privilege of involuntary domestic connections exceeding the normal maximum permitted time for domestic connections, it may not be possible to select such a connection voluntarily. It is possible to game the system by seeing if AA will impose a lengthy connection time when you’d like one, but don’t expect to request an out of policy connection time and have it approved.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
While AA seems to award itself the privilege of involuntary domestic connections exceeding the normal maximum permitted time for domestic connections, it may not be possible to select such a connection voluntarily. It is possible to game the system by seeing if AA will impose a lengthy connection time when you’d like one, but don’t expect to request an out of policy connection time and have it approved.
I think you misunderstand.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I think you misunderstand.
Perhaps.; feel free to correct me.

The domestic connections policy on Awards is now up to 18 hours’ duration.

A poster mentions a 40 hour domestic Connection forced by AA in an award offered on aa.com.

My sense of it is I might have a longer connection than 18 hours imposed on me by AA, but if I attempt to secure an award with a connection longer than the new allowed 18 hours time I should expect thstbto cost me two domestic Awards.

As I said, please correct me if I am incorrect.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hedoman
Can management of this company do any more to discourage loyalty?
It's one way to game the IdeaWorks award availability survey. While they check a carrier's most popular routes they do give credit for connections, so long as it's a saver award that doesn't require airport changes (as between LGA and JFK, for example).

http://www.ideaworkscompany.com/wp-c...eport-2018.pdf
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:10 am
Suspended

Perhaps.; feel free to correct me.

The domestic connections policy on Awards is now up to 18 hours’ duration.

A poster mentions a 40 hour domestic Connection forced by AA in an award offered on aa.com.

My sense of it is I might have a longer connection than 18 hours imposed on me by AA, but if I attempt to secure an award with a connection longer than the new allowed 18 hours time I should expect thstbto cost me two domestic Awards.

As I said, please correct me if I am incorrect.
There's no 40 hours, that's just someone that can't add-- go back and look.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
There's no 40 hours, that's just someone that can't add-- go back and look.
I don’t see a date on the first flight, but I suspect you’re right.

Can AA impose longer connections than the policy allows us to apply? Or will the system suppress those?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:33 am
Suspended

I don’t see a date on the first flight, but I suspect you’re right.

Can AA impose longer connections than the policy allows us to apply? Or will the system suppress those?
As far as I know, the rule is simply "up to 18 hours to connect" (and -maybe- L.I.F.O. exception still, although I can't imagine too many cases where that would apply now,) Anyone who's ever used AA.com will recognize the "please note connection time.."

And, I don't see any reason to assume the system is pumping out awards in excess of the rule, there's no evidence to support that, nor any historical precedent. Certainly there's even less reason than ever for any exceptions to be made to the connection time limit.

Last edited by JonNYC; Jul 15, 2018 at 9:44 am
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I don't read MSPeconomist's post as suggesting that aa.com was offering a 40-hour domestic connection. His comment, "Second prize, forty hours in beautiful downtown Philadelphia," is a variant of a punchline to a very old joke.
C17PSGR, deeruck and FlyingEgghead like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
I don't read MSPeconomist's post as suggesting that aa.com was offering a 40-hour domestic connection. His comment, "Second prize, forty hours in beautiful downtown Philadelphia," is a variant of a punchline to a very old joke.
Correct, much ado about an old joke. The actual 14-hour connection is "first prize".
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
I realize that some of you think this change is no big deal. However, if your home airport was an outstation then you might feel differently.

We regularly fly to Maui on AA from BTR. The regional service from the outstations appear to be more susceptible to cancellations/delays than mainline service from a hub. Therefore, to help insure not missing a full day of island time, we regularly fly to DFW the afternoon before and we like to depart around 2:30 p.m. in order to have a nice night and meal in Dallas. The next morning we catch a non-stop to Maui.

I just checked and our preferred flights are now priced as if one. We arrive DFW at 4:11 p.m. and depart DFW the next morning at 9:50 a.m. A 17 hour 29 minute connection. Perfect!
JonNYC, deeruck and GWFan like this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by controller1
I realize that some of you think this change is no big deal. However, if your home airport was an outstation then you might feel differently.

We regularly fly to Maui on AA from BTR. The regional service from the outstations appear to be more susceptible to cancellations/delays than mainline service from a hub. Therefore, to help insure not missing a full day of island time, we regularly fly to DFW the afternoon before and we like to depart around 2:30 p.m. in order to have a nice night and meal in Dallas. The next morning we catch a non-stop to Maui.

I just checked and our preferred flights are now priced as if one. We arrive DFW at 4:11 p.m. and depart DFW the next morning at 9:50 a.m. A 17 hour 29 minute connection. Perfect!
Nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.