Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA Tales for 2018 on AA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Yesterday I flew from SFO on AA1766 to PHL. I boarded the A321 and took my seat in 23F (best legroom w/ underseat storage of any plane).Prior to taking his seat in 23A, a gentleman put his laptop bag in the bin just above row 22 on my side (lav bulkhead on that side of the plane). A few minutes later we are joined by a lady who loudly announces that someone has put there bag in her bin. We were still in priority boarding so the bins above my row as well as the bin above 22 port side were still open. She insisted that whomever put their bag above her seat move it. The gentleman in 23A said it was his and started to put up a slight struggle before switching it over to above 22C,, the opposite bin. As she was huffing I told her that sometimes people put their bags in the opposite bin so they can better see them. She said that she normally only flies business and that she usually doesn't have to deal with this crap. Anyway, she put her bags up and that was that. She also had the two underseats in front of her as no one else was sitting next to her. There's about 60" of leg room in that row.
So, why did 23A put the laptop under the seat, as that also has a huge amount of legroom, or above 23C?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
And the ticket was blue, not black. So much 200K miles a year on AA...
Playing devil's advocate and it's a long shot, but maybe he credits flying to several OW FFPs? He could credit that 200,000 miles of AA flying elsewhere and was crediting these miles to somewhere that he has no status yet.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Fraser
He could credit that 200,000 miles of AA flying elsewhere
And, if he did so, he'd get his lounge access on domestic AA flights, too...
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by arlflyer
And, if he did so, he'd get his lounge access on domestic AA flights, too...
But not for four people. Admittedly I've never attempted to take more than one guest into an AC/FL with my oneworld status but if he was the only one with OW Emerald/Sapphire status he'd still have to pay for two people so that statement would make sense.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Fraser
Playing devil's advocate and it's a long shot, but maybe he credits flying to several OW FFPs? He could credit that 200,000 miles of AA flying elsewhere and was crediting these miles to somewhere that he has no status yet.
That's fair. Though I'd speculate to say this guy wouldn't know the difference between AA and DL, let alone that he could credit miles to BA or CX, etc. The BP aside, it was the feigned "expert" flyer status combined with the inaccuracies and entitlement that stunk of DYKWIA and fraud. Especially given the fact that this Mr 200K a year relished enthralling his colleagues with his stories, I suspect he's "guested" many people into lounges before to hold court and thus would be familiar with the fees.

Fortunately, primarily being a Shuttle flyer with AA, DYWKIAs are few and far in between. afterall, the most one can hope for is an upgrade on airbus for an hour LOL. But, when they do pop up, they're very easy to spot.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by mvoight
So, why did 23A put the laptop under the seat, as that also has a huge amount of legroom, or above 23C?

It's a bulkhead with a jumpseat and then a lav in front of it.

Last edited by Uncle Nonny; Aug 3, 2018 at 3:27 pm Reason: sp.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by r415
I make a point of not looking professional while traveling, just to have this satisfaction! (Even when I'm actually traveling with a suit in my bag)
+1 I do that too. Gotta be comfortable.

DTW-DFW last fall. A guy has a huge iPad and earphones on. See above I do have a suit on for business. The iPad guy has a very nice suit on with a cashmere overcoat. He has to take off his headphones to stop watching his movie to interact with the GA and FA. He is watching his ipad movie in line. He rushes to the front of the line and has to be the first to board. Then he has to have an amazing amount of FA time to satisfy his needs. He spills a drink on him self in flight and demands more FA time to clean him self up.He did not impact me, but his actions were more amusing than my downloaded movies.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
It was a DYKW My Dad Is.

DFW-IND and a young lady comes in near the end of boarding, sits in 1st and starts up a long conversation with the person next to her. GA and FA come up to her and ask if that was her seat. "Why, yes it is." Then they ask for her boarding pass. She said she threw it in the trash after they scanned it (I'm trying not to laugh out loud, might miss something). She insists that she was upgraded because "My Dad is a Gold or something and He upgraded my seat". This has now delayed departure and a supervisor boards and tells her she either goes to her seat or they will pull her off the aircraft. At that point she gets up in a huff and marches to the back. There are times I wished that they served popcorn along with the PDB.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
I had heard that Economy Basic was now allowed to bring on luggage for the overhead, but I hadn’t heard that the policy was revised to permit self upgrading

Great story! And you’re right: it’s almost worth it to board with Group 1 to witness the pre-flight entertainment LOL
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by r415
I make a point of not looking professional while traveling, just to have this satisfaction! (Even when I'm actually traveling with a suit in my bag)
All I ask is for a sweater over that t-shirt with the bikini clad body......lol
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA CK, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Platinum
That moment when they figure it out...

Originally Posted by flyalways
All of this is completely avoidable if AA gate agents can check BP while
customers are lined up to make sure they are in the right line.
Earlier this year, I had an opportunity to be a DYKWIA, but I think I handled myself ok. I was flying out of MCO, and was in the mix of people that typically crowd the Priority lane before boarding. An employee (for the first time I can ever recall), came through checking boarding passes. When she got to mine, she told me, "You're not in Group 1, please move out of the line and board with Group 7." I quietly stepped to the side, staring at her the whole time.

A minute later, she gave me this disgusted look as she walked past me to go up to the gate. She pulled out her microphone, and said, "Concierge Key are welcome to board." The look on her face when I walked up to her... pretty priceless. She must have been so focused on not seeing "GROUP 1" that she didn't notice "CNRG KEY" in its place. I stared at her, expressionless, and gave her my boarding pass. She scanned it and handed it back. Not a word was exchanged.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Any DYKWIA moment I have witnessed on AA are from CK’s......hmmmm.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA CK, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Platinum
Haha...

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Any DYKWIA moment I have witnessed on AA are from CK’s......hmmmm.
Indeed, Sir... many of mine, too. At LHR, a CK pushed and clawed his way to the front... "Out of my way, I'm a KEY." Yes, yes you are... as are the other eight of us standing here patiently!
apeortdz, wrp96 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by giants_fan
Indeed, Sir... many of mine, too. At LHR, a CK pushed and clawed his way to the front... "Out of my way, I'm a KEY." Yes, yes you are... as are the other eight of us standing here patiently!
Not that I'm a CK or anything, but it's always hilarious when some CKs assume they are the only CK on the flight on routes like ex-LHR or the LAX-HKG. I swear I saw 10 CKs board my flight while I waited for my boarding group to be called on the LAX-HKG.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
It's a bulkhead with a jumpsuit and then a lav in front of it.
Ah, a jumpsuit...Elvis is smiling
wrp96, Cotumely and Uncle Nonny like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.