Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA Tales for 2018 on AA

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian

Thats awesome. I would have done the same thing however I would have written “go eff yourself” on it.

I know somebody that is putting a pad of post-its in their backpack right this minute.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by miadukes
OMG I had almost the same thing happen to me on my MIA-LIM leg. I was sitting in exit row and i start feeling lots of movement on my seat back. Now I am tolerant person seeing how I occasionally bump the seat in front of me crossing my legs but this started to feel deliberate. So after the umpteenth time I turn around and shoot a dagger at the person behind me and she has the audacity to hit my seat even harder and start making gestures so that I un-recline my seat. I pretty much ignored her at this point, perhaps had she asked in a non passive aggressive manner, hey do you mind scooting back up an inch, I *may* have considered, especially when meals came around, but she was literally kicking my seat and pulling and tugging on the tray table. So right around that time, they started beverage service and i hear her tell the FA as he gets to her row that "can you TELL her to put up her seat," Of course, I am looking at him like I dare you to say something but it just so happens that the passenger sitting next to me was also reclined and the lady behind me had pushed and bothered so much on my seat, it had actually come up some, so when the FA saw that my seat wasn't actually fully reclined as compared to the one next to me, he told the lady behind me that "hey look sorry but it's not even fully reclined". Needless to say the behavior slowed a bit for a portion of the flight and at this point I had already fully reclined my seat because 1. its a 5 hour flight and I did try to get some shuteye and 2. I am in the its my seat and I like to recline category. but right towards the last hour she starts up again, pulling and tugging and just bumping into the back of the seat.

Come time to leave the plane and I take a good look behind me and the lady clearly should have paid for a bigger MCE seat. I hope that the person sitting next to her was her companion because she was definitely encroachikng on his seat and I can see why she didn't like my recline. I honestly have zero pity for that. For one, I sit in economy all the time (granted I'm short and not big) but I know what I am getting in to and refuse to pay for bigger seats sometimes and the times that I have wanted the space, I pay for MCE seats which she could have done as well (there were some open at even T-6). But that was the first time I had ever had a recline issue on a flight.
For the seat kicker and tuggers I am also quite tolerant up to a point. Past that, after glaring daggers and saying something, I usually do the following: I carry some tape in my bag usually, so I just do a tape loop around the seat recline button so it is pressed in permanently. Now every time I move, my seat moves with me. So lean forward and it it leans and lean back hard and wham.

Usually solves the problem really quickly.

I promise I'm not mean. Just after a point of asking nicely and being a decent human, I usually lose it a little.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
For the seat kicker and tuggers I am also quite tolerant up to a point. Past that, after glaring daggers and saying something.
This happened to me earlier this year. Guy behind me started kicking my seat back and telling me to not recline. Without hesitation I completely turn around and say “dude what the hell is your problem?” He says he can’t feel his legs and I’m not to recline. I respond by saying “your lack of seat planning isn’t my concern”. I swear he looked at me like he was about to clock me in the nose. I turn around and he resumes kicking. I immediately hit the flight attendant button and when she comes over I say “the guy behind me won’t stop kicking me seat and is out of control”. She finds another seat for him and he glared at me the entire way. I smiled and waved my fingers up and down at him.

I have zero tolerance for tools.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
I know somebody that is putting a pad of post-its in their backpack right this minute.
I always have some.
Old May 30, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
For the seat kicker and tuggers I am also quite tolerant up to a point. Past that, after glaring daggers and saying something, I usually do the following: I carry some tape in my bag usually, so I just do a tape loop around the seat recline button so it is pressed in permanently. Now every time I move, my seat moves with me. So lean forward and it it leans and lean back hard and wham.

I promise I'm not mean. Just after a point of asking nicely and being a decent human, I usually lose it a little.

This happened to me earlier this year. Guy behind me started kicking my seat back and telling me to not recline. Without hesitation I completely turn around and say “dude what the hell is your problem?” He says he can’t feel his legs and I’m not to recline. I respond by saying “your lack of seat planning isn’t my concern”. I swear he looked at me like he was about to clock me in the nose. I turn around and he resumes kicking. I immediately hit the flight attendant button and when she comes over I say “the guy behind me won’t stop kicking me seat and is out of control”. She finds another seat for him and he glared at me the entire way. I smiled and waved my fingers up and down at him.

The sad part is that these are not children but grown adults.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt

Shoud have asked the flight attendant to check if the passenger behind you had dropped his sippy cup.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: Delta, Korean Air, Emirates, ANA, & American
Not sure if this applies to the thread but here are some "examples" from recent international flights. DXB to MCO on Emirates in Business Class. I was in the boarding area early and saw only one wheelchair bound person being preboarded. No others outside of a handful toting small children. Arrive in MCO and the jetway is lined with "special assist" chairs. Literally from the aircraft door to the terminal. I scratched my head on that. Make my way to Immigration (woefully undermanned) and get in line with a handful of other business class passengers as we and the first class folks deplaned first. Before we could get processed, a parade of now occupied special assist chairs start pulling into a separate line. The TSA traffic director then starts pushing the special assist folks to the desk ahead of everyone else. Mind you the regular passenger line is now continuing to grow as the economy folks file in. It did not take long before those of us in that line started complaining to the TSA traffic director. Seems those "special assist" get head of the line. Finally they opened another desk and I was was quickly cleared to proceed.

Recently flew ICN to ATL again in business class and upon deplaning saw the same mile long line of special assist chairs lined up in the jetway. But fortunately ATL was well manned at Immigration and we beat the thundering herd of newly minted special needs people.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Was checking in at PBI (has to be near the top in the US for angry old people) and some guy literally cuts me off when I am at the desk checking in to yell at the agent that they are still waiting to be pushed to the gate in a chair. The agent, startled, goes "Ok well did you notify us that you are with AA and need pushed?" The passengers responds, "No, we are sitting in front of Sun Country down there and we have been waiting for someone to come get us and takes us down there all day!.". The Ticket Agent then goes "Sir did you checkin with us yet even?". The old man's response, "I've been flying for 50 years, we printed our boarding pass we need pushed now the flt is 1:18pm. It's ridiculous we haven't been helped yet."

I finally had enough, already pissed from how rude he was to me and now the agent and said "Excuse me, first off sir instead of barging in here how about you say excuse me, secondly, the flt is not a 1:18pm, it starts boarding at 1:18pm because I am on the same damn flt. Lastly, how in the hell do you think these agents are going to know you need a chair when you are sitting in front of Sun Country and never checked in here? Are they supposed to know exactly who you are and be mind readers?" He didn't like me very much and told me to mind my own business, but I could tell the agent was trying not to smile lol.
enviroian, apeortdz and Cotumely like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Not sure if it counts, since I never heard "DYKWIA", but on NRT-LAX in J, the man in front of me wanted to send his meal to his traveling companion in the bowels of economy (I caught twenty-something as the row). The FA wasn't interested in it, and I wasn't eavesdropping well enough to know if he threw a DYKWIA out, or if he was just persuasive, but after some cajoling they eventually agreed. Oh and then he wanted his first-pick (he's in seat 1A) to be what he sent along, but he was denied on that -- good for them in that regard, to make sure the actual J passengers get what they wanted first.
E55 likes this.

Last edited by Gig103; May 31, 2018 at 1:42 am
Old May 31, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: WN A+ Preffered CP, DL SK GOld, AA Gold
This just happened on a flight last night. I started to read the thread before we left and chuckled as it occurred. Flew from LVI to NBO on KQ. Scheduled departure was 1805, but we had everyone so left 30 minutes early. Got to NBO and everyone went to stand up waiting for the door to open. No one was moving, not sure if the agent was in the jetway. I was tapped on the shoulder and this young lady, about 20 years old, says, excuse me, I need to get off. I told her that we all needed to get if the plane and she’d have to wait. She then said that she had a tight connection. I asked how that was possible since we are early. She then said that she needed to get through CBO and again , I said, so do all of us. She said in rather loud voice, that she didn’t understand why I wasn’t letting her pass and I said in a louder voice that when you grow and learn some manners then you might get along better in life. As we walked up the jetway, she changed her story, again and said that she really needed to use the bathroom and hoped that I had a rotten day. As I’m walking to Customs, she passes the restroom and sure enough, gets in line, then collects her bags and goes outside. Proving all 3 stories as lies.
JDiver, apeortdz, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC, VFF, BD, HH, *wds
This almost certainly doesn't qualify but many of the odd things here compel me to share! This was just one flight...
This was on BA LHR- LAS Mid-march.

It started off poorly as the ground staff didn't seem to expect, well, passengers. Complete chaos, but not sure why. But it did mean everyone was a bit frazzled.

First started boarding at the same time as they started doing additional security checks. A guy in First had just had his passport checked when he was called. He willing went over, ducked under the cord, and had his hand luggage checked. He then went back to duck under the cord. The person who checked his bag said he'd have to go to the back of the queue.

Now I was 20ft away, so heard say 90% of what was said, but don't believe the passenger said anything untoward other than why? The security checker then started shouting at him that under no circumstances was he go anywhere other than the back of the line. By now the guy was perplexed - not angry - as to why he couldn't go the 10ft back to where he was before, and the rest of his party. The supervisor then waded in.

He called the passenger over, asking to see his boarding card. The passenger looked relieved - till the supervisor said very loudly that he won't allow such attitude in his (sic) airport and that he was being off loaded, and wouldn't be allowed to fly. The more the passenger asked why, the more the more supervisor literally shouted "See? You don't learn".

To my embarrassment, no-one spoke up, but I did speak to the crew at the door and explain. I don't believe he was on the flight.

After that excitement, just...oddity.

I watched a French woman sit a male companion, and fuss over him, and then move forward 7 or 8 rows. Another passenger then tried to sit where in the seat she was in. At first she ignored, and then said that the passenger would have to sit elsewhere. Stewardess intervened, and after much huffing, she moved. It then transpires the next seat she chose was not her own either, and it happened all over again. This time, the stewardess checked and led her to actual seat - next to the man!

As we start taxiing, she then stands up and starts rummaging in the overhead. Tannoy on - sit down immediately etc.Eventually she does.

Now my favourite, jaw dropping bit.

As she does, she takes her big coat off...and hangs it on the back of her chair like you would on an ordinary chair.

Man behind had far more patience than I would, given he was in danger of being suffocated by Canadian Goose but still took two stewardesses and 10 minutes to move the coat.

Un-ber-lievable!
Old May 31, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by txirish
There are a few incidents in here of pax legitimately in the priority boarding line getting pushed aside/trampled by some idiot who assumes they are in the wrong place. This is one good argument for looking professional while traveling - people won't think you have lined up incorrectly in the priority line. Of course, you won't have the satisfaction of plopping down in F next to the entitled DYKWIA jerk in your cargo shorts, flip flops, and Grateful Dead t-shirt.

All of this is completely avoidable if AA gate agents can check BP while
customers are lined up to make sure they are in the right line. Most
of the Asian airlines do this and boarding goes smoothly....
TSparky and DeepUnderground like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Gig103
My wife, too. Flip flops are easier for security It isn't the 70s anymore, flying is casual in all cabins. Heck, FC passengers long haul get pajamas on many airlines!
Yep, I like wearing those PJs on LAX-LAS hops
Old May 31, 2018, 8:02 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I like to think I'm not mean either, but usually do the same when someone thrusts my seat up and back more than 2x trying to get into/out of/move within their seat because they cannot move without firmly gripping my seat and flopping me around. So I just hold the button in and once they pull my seat all the way reclined, I let go and they have to deal with what they caused.
Antarius and thunderlounge like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
I was on a AKL SIN flight on SQ in Y a couple of years back. Got myself a nice exit row and was just getting myself sorted out when a DYKWIA stood in front of me barking aggresively that I was sitting in his seat, that he was Star gold and had been allocated the seat due to his status and that I must get out immediately even though my BP also showed the exit row. I called the FA who was puzzled at duplicate BPs for that seat, then the ground handler comes along and tells me that I have been last minute op upgraded to J, please follow me. As I followed her up to the front I couldn't help remarking to the DYKWIA, " I suspect that I am a bit more gold than you". The look on his face was worth more than any upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.