Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA Tales for 2018 on AA

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 10:36 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
I managed to score a two-for-one this weekend on DYKWIA Bingo.

SFO-ORD red eye that took a lengthy gate delay at SFO due to a ground hold and crew issues. Get into ORD about 2 hours late. FA announces we have some pax with connections and they would appreciate those who have time to spare to stay seated for a few minutes so they can get out. This yahoo who was one of the last to board (but had MCE, not sure how that panned out) had placed his bag 8 rows back from his seat. He made this huge scene of swimming upstream to get his bag, only to turn around and demand the other pax let him back up to the front, because he had a connection. A older gent who was in the aisle right beside my seat told him that "We all have connections, bud. Just sit tight." Our esteemed guest then mumbled and pushed his way up to the front, gaining a whopping 3 rows. Half of the pax around us were in shock at his attitude. I guess his connection got scrubbed as I saw him at the food court almost an hour later. The karmatic gods smiled upon us.

As the stars had aligned for us, our new friend was on our afternoon flight back to SFO on Monday. He was bugging people in the exit row to switch seats for his that was a few rows behind. Apparently he felt that his seat was just not going to work for the 4 hour jaunt westward. FA finally told him to take his seat or he would not be taking the trip to SFO.

I was laughing heartily in my head at his buffoonery.
wrp96 and thunderlounge like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by peterk814
EWR to PTY in Y. For whatever reason there’s always an issue with people sitting in the wrong seats. I take this flight four to five times a year and on at least 3-4 of them there’s always someone sitting in my seat. As a 1K, I generally board with group 1. For whatever reason there’s always someone in my economy plus aisle seat. And it’s always someone who pre boarded. It’s always an older Hispanic and female who is the culprit. After the first few times of feeling bad and just sitting in the middle I had enough. They’ve tried the cannot speak English so I’ll let them know in Spanish. FAs at times look at me like “why can’t you let her have the seat”.
A few months ago I was flying AA EWR -> MIA on a LUS A321, sitting in 11D which is an exit row with lots of extra leg room. During the boarding process an older lady with a cane came down the aisle. She insisted that I was in her seat. I double checked my boarding pass and said, no this is my seat. She insisted that because she had a leg injury, she needed the extra leg room, to which I responded, this is an exit row, you're actually not even allowed to sit here if you require a medical assistance device, you need to be willing and ABLE to assist in the event of an emergency. At this point the people behind this lady were getting frustrated because she was holding up boarding. She continued to insist that she be able to sit in 11D. I asked to see her boarding pass which said 31E. I pointed to the back of the plane and said "your seat is in that direction", she begrudgingly went towards the back of the plane. I have no doubt she tried the same thing with the folks in row 24, but wouldn't know for sure.
JDiver, wrp96, prw555 and 1 others like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by txirish
Of course, you won't have the satisfaction of plopping down in F next to the entitled DYKWIA jerk in your cargo shorts, flip flops, and Grateful Dead Iron Maiden t-shirt.
Fixed it for me.

\m/
txirish likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:00 am

Smile

Originally Posted by airb330
In 2011, after a United flight from KOA, my husband and I are waiting to board a SFO-PHL a321 US Airways flight. We are ticketed in first, waiting in the proper boarding line with about 8 others. A woman pushes me aside, runs over my husband's foot (still in flip flops) with her large suitcase, and yells "I am in first." Needless to say, I am cranky from the redeye and wanted to let her know that *all* of us were also in first class and that in her rush she ran over my husband's foot. Her response, "his foot was in the way of my suitcase." I guess she really didn't believe we were all in first class, so I made sure to turn around and say hello to her in 3C. We still laugh about the miserable woman to this day.
Flip-flops in F/C?
Old May 30, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by steveopenskies
Flip-flops in F/C?
From KOA, of course
Old May 30, 2018, 11:39 am

Flip-flops in F/C?

Darn right.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Flip-flops in F/C?
In most of my F/C flights, I have wore either slippers or flip-flops.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by muishkin
In most of my F/C flights, I have wore either slippers or flip-flops.
My wife, too. Flip flops are easier for security It isn't the 70s anymore, flying is casual in all cabins. Heck, FC passengers long haul get pajamas on many airlines!
Old May 30, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
BA operated flight (but AA codeshare/ticket), so figured I'd post it here. Was flying LHR-INV on one of those miserable sardine cans.

Reclined a tiny bit (as those slimline seats put an odd amount of pressure on my tailbone). DYKWIA behind me starts slamming my seat with his fist and shouting about how i'm an ....... and its miserable etc and that they were BA silver and deserved more space etc.

Took out a post it note, wrote [email protected] on it, handed it back and told them to email him about the lack of legroom.
JDiver, enviroian, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
Took out a post it note, wrote [email protected] on it, handed it back and told them to email him about the lack of legroom.
Thats awesome. I would have done the same thing however I would have written “go eff yourself” on it.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, IHG Diamond and Ambassador
MIA

Funny how so many of these posts involve MIA! A FA friend of mine once told me the New York -South Florida routes (PBI FLL MIA) are the most hated by flight attendants due to the rude demanding passengers.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I am so glad we have this thread. I have contributed to the DL DYKWIA the. Very enjoyable

Well, we know who you are...
Old May 30, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
BA operated flight (but AA codeshare/ticket), so figured I'd post it here. Was flying LHR-INV on one of those miserable sardine cans.

Reclined a tiny bit (as those slimline seats put an odd amount of pressure on my tailbone). DYKWIA behind me starts slamming my seat with his fist and shouting about how i'm an ....... and its miserable etc and that they were BA silver and deserved more space etc.

OMG I had almost the same thing happen to me on my MIA-LIM leg. I was sitting in exit row and i start feeling lots of movement on my seat back. Now I am tolerant person seeing how I occasionally bump the seat in front of me crossing my legs but this started to feel deliberate. So after the umpteenth time I turn around and shoot a dagger at the person behind me and she has the audacity to hit my seat even harder and start making gestures so that I un-recline my seat. I pretty much ignored her at this point, perhaps had she asked in a non passive aggressive manner, hey do you mind scooting back up an inch, I *may* have considered, especially when meals came around, but she was literally kicking my seat and pulling and tugging on the tray table. So right around that time, they started beverage service and i hear her tell the FA as he gets to her row that "can you TELL her to put up her seat," Of course, I am looking at him like I dare you to say something but it just so happens that the passenger sitting next to me was also reclined and the lady behind me had pushed and bothered so much on my seat, it had actually come up some, so when the FA saw that my seat wasn't actually fully reclined as compared to the one next to me, he told the lady behind me that "hey look sorry but it's not even fully reclined". Needless to say the behavior slowed a bit for a portion of the flight and at this point I had already fully reclined my seat because 1. its a 5 hour flight and I did try to get some shuteye and 2. I am in the its my seat and I like to recline category. but right towards the last hour she starts up again, pulling and tugging and just bumping into the back of the seat.

Come time to leave the plane and I take a good look behind me and the lady clearly should have paid for a bigger MCE seat. I hope that the person sitting next to her was her companion because she was definitely encroachikng on his seat and I can see why she didn't like my recline. I honestly have zero pity for that. For one, I sit in economy all the time (granted I'm short and not big) but I know what I am getting in to and refuse to pay for bigger seats sometimes and the times that I have wanted the space, I pay for MCE seats which she could have done as well (there were some open at even T-6). But that was the first time I had ever had a recline issue on a flight.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by big69bob
Funny how so many of these posts involve MIA! A FA friend of mine once told me the New York -South Florida routes (PBI FLL MIA) are the most hated by flight attendants due to the rude demanding passengers.
That's because MIA is savage (and I can say that since that is my home airport) but the things you see living here are mind blowing!
Old May 30, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by miadukes
That's because MIA is savage (and I can say that since that is my home airport) but the things you see living here are mind blowing!
Do tell!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.