Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA Tales for 2018 on AA

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
In 2011, after a United flight from KOA, my husband and I are waiting to board a SFO-PHL a321 US Airways flight. We are ticketed in first, waiting in the proper boarding line with about 8 others. A woman pushes me aside, runs over my husband's foot (still in flip flops) with her large suitcase, and yells "I am in first." Needless to say, I am cranky from the redeye and wanted to let her know that *all* of us were also in first class and that in her rush she ran over my husband's foot. Her response, "his foot was in the way of my suitcase." I guess she really didn't believe we were all in first class, so I made sure to turn around and say hello to her in 3C. We still laugh about the miserable woman to this day.
jinglish likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by oopsz
Been there about a hundred times.

"This is the first class line."

"Yes, it is."
I too have more than once been told "Excuse me I'm in business class" as someone tried to cut in front of me "So am I!"

Had somebody try to push past me while boarding in EZE because as he announced to the entire gate area "I'm lifetime gold." I couldn't restrain myself from saying "Well I'm platinum."
jinglish likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, AA PPro
He literally PUSHED HIM DOWN, not just past.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAChris
He literally PUSHED HIM DOWN, not just past.
You were awfully nice about it. I find that admirable actually.
Some old coot does that to my kid, he's going to find out just how easy the elderly topple. Though it would appear to be inadvertent of course.
wrp96, thunderlounge and Cotumely like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by AAChris
EGE-JFK in April. Waiting to board in priority line. First class called and an elderly gentleman literally pushes my 12 year old son down to board. I turn around to say something and he announces "I am First Class!!" I say "So are we.". He then says "well, I had no idea he was with you." Kid has red hair, spitting image and clearly with me. I congratulated him on his ability to afford a first class ticket, insisted he board before us and watched as his mortified wife gave him the look of death.
Something similar happened on my LIM-MIA flight last week. Plane was late and everyone was at the gate lined up. I got there and lined up in the priority lane (first time in business so super pumped to board in first group) and the line gets longer behind me. So almost time to board and there is a guy behind me that keeps pacing to the front as if to inquire why he can't start boarding already ( I am not within earshot) but by his whole disposition he is just rushed and I think pissed that there are about 12 people in front of him in line (me being one of them). So they announce they are getting ready to board and call for group 1 and i start walking forward along with a few people in front of me( some had to wait, i guess they were 2-4) and this guy literally tries to run over the side of me ( I have my backpack and my rolling carry "on) and gives me this bewildered look when I shoot him a nasty look as he has now trampled almost over my carry on to "beat" me to the entrance (mind you we are moving slowly but obviously I am moving too) and he's like I'm group 1 so I shoot back to him, "So are we", he just stayed behind me after that. But I never understood most of the posts where people do this and well now that I have experienced it I was just (insert mouth drop emoji here). Later on mid flight, this same guy had some issue with this seat (slowed down initial towel and water service to our side) but three AA staff later and he sat down. Most annoying person I have ever encountered. Poor people around him as he was standing all over the hallway with about 3 AA employees trying to fix his seat. I assumed it didn't recline but figured this was Karma.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Prior to the current group boarding system when they would call like 1,000 status types before group 1, there was some confusion at DFW because two adjacent terminals were boarding at the same time and the PA for each was overlapping. While they were calling AAdvantage gold, about half of the terminal was boarding because the adjacent terminal was then boarding group 2. I was group 2 and was thinking there's no way this many people with gold status despite a hub to hub flight (DFW-ORD). Eventually most of the terminal caught on and just started to board before zone 1 was even called, and the gate agents seemed to not care. Apparently a guy a few people ahead of me was asked to size his bag in the sizer, it was questionable and before the gate agent could respond he whipped out his platinum card and was like "SEE THIS" "This means I FLY ALL OF THE TIME and this bag ALWAYS fits OK." At this point they called group 1 (and I had not yet had status so I was group 2), so I had to hang back and watch the drama unfold. Basically during the time of the scuffle all the bin space was gone and they announced that everyone needed to check their rollaboard. Including the "platinum pro." Surprisingly he was able to board the flight after yelling "Thank you so much for completely F*%$ing up the boarding process, I'm not never flying you again!" Never saw him again on that route but something tells me it was an empty threat
Old May 23, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Saw a guy a few weeks back trying to get into the Admirals Club. He didn't have a membership, and couldn't BELIEVE that someone buying a first class domestic ticket wouldn't be allowed access. He only needed the club for a few minutes (not sure what for). He insisted on talking to a supervisor. I'm not sure how it turned out...but also not sure why someone would need to use a club that bad.
Rain shower head .........
Old May 23, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Saw a guy a few weeks back trying to get into the Admirals Club. He didn't have a membership, and couldn't BELIEVE that someone buying a first class domestic ticket wouldn't be allowed access. He only needed the club for a few minutes (not sure what for). He insisted on talking to a supervisor. I'm not sure how it turned out...but also not sure why someone would need to use a club that bad.
Someone who was used to countries where cabin class or status gets you in and you can't buy membership might be surprised if they hadn't done their homework.
DirtyDan and Cotumely like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Someone who was used to countries where cabin class or status gets you in and you can't buy membership might be surprised if they hadn't done their homework.
I see the logic. It is surprising that paying a one time $300-500 fee or having the right credit card gets you in, but paying $1,000 more than a Y ticket does not.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
Told her that flying 4750 miles with one engine was bonafide idiotic and I'm glad the crew aren't risking their lives for her connection. And that the poor FA had zero control over a maintenance issue. And that i'm glad it conked on rollout before v1, otherwise things could be way more stressful.

Then asked her where she was going (she said Barcelona). At this point, I called the EXP desk and basically told her I'll rebook her on every flight for the next day if she shuts up and stops being horrible to everyone on board.

Silence from then on. And it was bliss.
:-::-::-::-::-:

Originally Posted by wrp96
I too have more than once been told "Excuse me I'm in business class" as someone tried to cut in front of me "So am I!"

Had somebody try to push past me while boarding in EZE because as he announced to the entire gate area "I'm lifetime gold." I couldn't restrain myself from saying "Well I'm platinum."

These are the same type of people that know the right lane (left for those driving on the left side) ends and need to move over, but are “too good/important” to properly get in the correct lane in time. Thus they end up almost taking out someone at the last minute.

Me? Take out my front end and buy me a new ride.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by JDiver
I’m just nasty enough to contact AA and let them know. This woman is probably a serial scammer and a scammer in the image of Ada Quonsett and I’d love to see her karma catch up with her.
You may Good Sir move this as it did not happen on AA (Well it didn't have 2 As just a B and an A)

We had a passenger from NRT change into his F pyjamas in the F lav. On emerging, he threw his underwear on the floor, pointed to them and said "Wash!". The Scottish girl working in F didn't miss a trick. She'd done too many charters down to the med. She picked them up with the tongs and threw them, and then the tongs in the trash. Approaching LHR he wanted them back. With many apologies she told him that they had got lost in the Laundry. He kicked off and so without blinking an eye, she decided to send for me (which was correct but totally unfair as I can't keep a straight face for too long). We "wrote" a report and kept this up until we knew that the belts sign would come on. She said that she quite understood, and if it would help he could have a clean pair of hers. Furious he got a fresh pair out of his carry-on and left us saying something that we hoped meant that he would never grace our aircraft again.

Just when you think that you've heard the lot, along comes someone else with a sense of entitlement and all the self-importance that this entails.
JDiver, MorganB, DirtyDan and 3 others like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 11:24 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
(1) On (3 class) TRANSCOMs flying in bc or f you can use the AC [even FL flying in f].
(2) At one time DL allowed CC access if flying in f.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by nrr
(1) On (3 class) TRANSCOMs flying in bc or f you can use the AC [even FL flying in f].
(2) At one time DL allowed CC access if flying in f.
Alaska allows Board Room access for domestic FC it if not on an upgrade

Last edited by mvoight; May 23, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Old May 23, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
At LAX, a very recognizable actor tried to push his way to board ahead of the first class pax. I did not yield, and was glared at as he chatted up an actress sitting across from me before take-off.
JDiver likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:46 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by george 3
At LAX, a very recognizable actor tried to push his way to board ahead of the first class pax. I did not yield, and was glared at as he chatted up an actress sitting across from me before take-off.
No reason not to name names! Or just go to the celebrity thread and say who you saw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.