Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA Tales for 2018 on AA

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
My story - DFW lost an engine (or some form of engine malfunction) as we were rolling for takeoff resulting in an aborted takeoff and return to the gate. DYKWIA in J (77W) loses her mind about missed connection in LHR. Went on for like 15 minutes invoking status, how much she flies etc etc. at the poor FA.

Finally, me sitting across on the window, a few whiskys in and no patience left snapped and gave her an earful. Last we heard from her for the rest of the flight. Purser said she didn't say a word.
Old May 22, 2018, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Finally, me sitting across on the window, a few whiskys in and no patience left snapped and gave her an earful. Last we heard from her for the rest of the flight. Purser said she didn't say a word.
Go on... what did you tell her?
Old May 22, 2018, 7:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by thunderlounge
We need that play by play action!!!!!! LOL
thunderlounge likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Just want to say, thanks for the entertainment. I'm sure many of us have encountered these situations often, and have our own stories to tell. Keep them coming!
Old May 22, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by davesam12
Now, now Andi28 - don't be so harsh. Flying at high altitude is proven to have remarkable curative results. In decades of flying I have often witnessed canes, walkers, wheelchairs abandoned on arrival and once infirm pax at boarding, hop up, grab their bag from the overhead and stroll down the jetway.
"Flying at high altitude" could put a lot of televangelists out of work.
apeortdz and wrp96 like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, AA PPro
EGE-JFK in April. Waiting to board in priority line. First class called and an elderly gentleman literally pushes my 12 year old son down to board. I turn around to say something and he announces "I am First Class!!" I say "So are we.". He then says "well, I had no idea he was with you." Kid has red hair, spitting image and clearly with me. I congratulated him on his ability to afford a first class ticket, insisted he board before us and watched as his mortified wife gave him the look of death.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:49 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
About 10 years ago flying from jfk to cdg, a woman feigned some "illness" to obtain a roomier seat. AA planned on calling paramedics to assess her "illness" [otherwise she might not be fit to fly]; she suddenly "confessed". Per announcement by a FA she was going to be booted from the plane--the captain was on the phone with DFW. 90 minutes later she was permitted to (re)board...to a chorus of BOOS. Bottom line however the plane was delayed 90 minutes...most likely causing some pax to miss connections in CDG--everyone was a loser in this instance.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by AAChris
EGE-JFK in April. Waiting to board in priority line. First class called and an elderly gentleman literally pushes my 12 year old son down to board. I turn around to say something and he announces "I am First Class!!" I say "So are we.". He then says "well, I had no idea he was with you." Kid has red hair, spitting image and clearly with me. I congratulated him on his ability to afford a first class ticket, insisted he board before us and watched as his mortified wife gave him the look of death.
Been there about a hundred times.

"This is the first class line."

"Yes, it is."
jinglish and zhangg like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apeortdz
It is truly amazing the healing properties that people experience when they fly at 35,000 feet for 8 hours or so!
Actually, it only takes about 2.5 hours, lots of healing occurs between New York and West Palm.
Jane361 likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Saw a guy a few weeks back trying to get into the Admirals Club. He didn't have a membership, and couldn't BELIEVE that someone buying a first class domestic ticket wouldn't be allowed access. He only needed the club for a few minutes (not sure what for). He insisted on talking to a supervisor. I'm not sure how it turned out...but also not sure why someone would need to use a club that bad.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I'm not sure how it turned out...but also not sure why someone would need to use a club that bad.
Can't be the food.
EGSExec and robertablake like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Can't be the food.
Not to be crass. But might be for the lav. usually the AC lavs (I can only speak for the men's) are cleaner and more private than the terminal lavs.
pa3lsvt and robertablake like this.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thunderlounge
Told her that flying 4750 miles with one engine was bonafide idiotic and I'm glad the crew aren't risking their lives for her connection. And that the poor FA had zero control over a maintenance issue. And that i'm glad it conked on rollout before v1, otherwise things could be way more stressful.

Then asked her where she was going (she said Barcelona). At this point, I called the EXP desk and basically told her I'll rebook her on every flight for the next day if she shuts up and stops being horrible to everyone on board.

Silence from then on. And it was bliss.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
Told her that flying 4750 miles with one engine was bonafide idiotic and I'm glad the crew aren't risking their lives for her connection. And that the poor FA had zero control over a maintenance issue. And that i'm glad it conked on rollout before v1, otherwise things could be way more stressful.

Then asked her where she was going (she said Barcelona). At this point, I called the EXP desk and basically told her I'll rebook her on every flight for the next day if she shuts up and stops being horrible to everyone on board.

Silence from then on. And it was bliss.
Bravo! ^
Old May 23, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oopsz
Been there about a hundred times.

"This is the first class line."

"Yes, it is."
Similar issue for me. Dude pushes me out of the way to board saying "Economy is over there". I step aside and apologize. Turns out I was sitting next to him. Just gave him a big grin as I sat down.
Jane361 and Sweetone like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.