Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

College Dorm room fly home - which size / type box?

Old May 21, 2018, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Flying home a college family member on AA Domestic flight with a 4-7 pax in First Class. Has anyone here done this with commonly available cardboard boxes for purchase? If so what was your favorite size? In the past i have flown empty luggage outbound where at least one bag was nested in another bag and then filled them to max weight and flown all home.
Old May 21, 2018, 10:48 pm

What is "a 4-7 pax"?

Is the point that you don't have standard luggage available and don't want to purchase it because this is a one-time need?
Old May 21, 2018, 11:00 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
U-Haul's medium boxes (18x18x18?) are a buck or so and do the trick. (I haven't done it for your purpose, but had to travel on same-day short notice w/ 6 boxes of files and things... as EXP, 3 boxes for me and 3 for companion were checked no problem. We dropped them curbside at DCA, very easy.) In F, you get 2 boxes a person @ 70 lbs each so seems like a reasonable way to move someone into a dorm.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
A storage unit may be cheaper than the baggage fees. I did this during college as much of the stuff I didn't need back at home. Many airlines do not cover boxes used as checked baggage in the case of damage or loss.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Remember AA’s restrictions for checked baggage:

We calculate the size limits of your bag by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, length + width + height.

For all regions, your checked baggage allowance is:

Dimension: 62 in / 158 cm
Weight: 50 lbs / 23 kgs
For First / Business Class, weight is 70 lbs / 32 kgs

See more here.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've frequently flown with boxes as checked baggage. The "large" 4.5 cubic foot moving boxes you can get at Home Depot or Lowe's are acceptable - they are 24 x 18 x 18, which adds up to 60". If possible get the "heavy duty" boxes which cost twice as much, meaning $4 instead of $2.

As noted, weight limit is 50 pounds but 70 for F.

I think the OP's reference to 4'7 meant the pax is 4'7" tall. Maybe trying to imply there would be extra space within the seating area? Which matters not at all.

When I lived in Bermuda, I would do my grocery shopping in the USA when I came back every 3 weeks. On the return I'd have one large box with dry food, and a second box with a cooler inside. I managed to move all my belongings to Bermuda (obviously not furniture) as checked baggage, since shipping was prohibitive. When I came back, I think I managed to get everything in 6 boxes and bring it in two trips.
fotographer and JDiver like this.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:44 am

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
I took OP to mean four to seven passengers. Like, the family going to send off the kid and help with the move-in.
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Another option and one which may make a difference if there are local transportation issues on one end or the other or both is to use one of the Ground services such as Fedex, UPS, or even USPS. Just plan ahead by a few days and the boxes, depending on the logistics at the college end, may be delivered to the dorm location (but you will have to check on that with the institution). If you are not time-challenged, the fees can be very low and may mean avoiding things such as renting a larger vehicle. Try tinkering on the various express service websites.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't have any idea what "a 4-7 pax" means. Isn't "pax" plural? That would conflict with the "a"
Maybe it is referring to height (4'7"), but still the plural issue and I'm not sure how height really matters.

Definitely
Old May 22, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
A storage unit may be cheaper than the baggage fees. I did this during college as much of the stuff I didn't need back at home. Many airlines do not cover boxes used as checked baggage in the case of damage or loss.
If you're in domestic F class, I believe you get a free checked bag. So, that's not an issue. Plus the baggage allowance is 70 pounds.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
If you're in domestic F class, I believe you get a free checked bag. So, that's not an issue. Plus the baggage allowance is 70 pounds.
Having just moved my daughter back home for the summer - if you can fit a student's dorm contents into "a free checked bag", then I'm doing something wrong.
ne52 likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by CPRich
Having just moved my daughter back home for the summer - if you can fit a student's dorm contents into "a free checked bag", then I'm doing something wrong.
Yes, but if there are up to 7 of you traveling, you might just pull it off.
Old May 22, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by redtop43
I've frequently flown with boxes as checked baggage. The "large" 4.5 cubic foot moving boxes you can get at Home Depot or Lowe's are acceptable - they are 24 x 18 x 18, which adds up to 60". If possible get the "heavy duty" boxes which cost twice as much, meaning $4 instead of $2. <snipped>
Walmart also sells heavy duty prices. Probably $2 for a medium
Old May 22, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
First Class is 2 bags at up to 70 pounds each (3 if OW Emerald)
In the old days, I think you could have 3 bags.
I remember moving stuff from Austin to California on CO in 1991
I would check boxes at the curbside, then check my luggage at the counter..... (Apparently back agents couldn't tell???)
Old May 22, 2018, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

When I wrote 4-7 pax that means 4 to 7 people will be traveling on AA in First.

[QUOTE=I would check boxes at the curbside, then check my luggage at the counter..... (Apparently back agents couldn't tell???)[/QUOTE] I did this often back in the day where you could check UNLIMITED luggage with a twenty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.