Strand 17 people to save 2 min?

Old May 20, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
A big part of the problem is that most people are conditioned that 1 or 2 minutes doesn't really make a difference. Two minutes late to the doctor? No one even says anything. Cashier at the grocery store chats with another customer and takes a minute or two longer before the next customer? Other customer probably didn't even notice. Two minutes late to the movies? Previews are still on, no big deal. Couple minutes late to the restaurant for dinner reservation? Perfectly fine.

Very few businesses are on as tight of a schedule as transportation companies. Most customers that are counting on their transportation to be on time, expect nothing less. So in people's everyday lives two minutes is nothing more than an extra person or two at the McDonald's drive-thru. Or an extra change of the lights on a busy street, etc.

How then can two minutes be that big of a deal that the plane cannot be held? People forget that the plane doesn't take off from the gate. That there are a number of things that need to be done before the plane can move. Before the plane can move the door has to be closed. Before the door can be closed...etc, etc. Let's say you are 3 minutes into those checks and now another passenger or 18 board two to four minutes before departure. Weight and balance changes. Checks may have to be restarted. Now you've got 3 or 4 minutes of checks and only 1 minute until departure. "How can the plane leave late, I was there two minutes before departure?" The line has to be drawn somewhere and you have to allow time for the "close up" process to occur.

And lest anyone thinks that two minutes really wouldn't make a difference. Read up on FedEx flight 705 and how just one minute made a difference. Once a crew times out, they are timed out. Doesn't matter if it's "just a minute or two".

Not saying that crew time out was the case for the OP. Just suggesting why people often seem to have difficulty with the concept that "the plane couldn't wait one more minute??"
zhangg likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
In IRROPS situations, this may be true, but in a lot of situations, the issue of crews timing out simply isn't relevant. If it is then AA has a major crew scheduling problem. In my case last year, there were IIRC 7 or 8 of us connecting from SEA via LAX to SAN. There were passenger boarding delays and baggage delays in SEA which caused a good 30 minute delay departing SEA. Then there was a delay getting an available gate at LAX. The weather at LAX was perfect for August - clear, warm, no wind issues, etc.

The flight in question that I missed was a 30 minute flight from LAX to SAN and was the last flight of the night. That Embraer will RON in SAN before returning to LAX at either 6:30 or 7:30 the next morning. No passengers were making connections and the flight was not in any risk of being delayed.

So, instead of holding a flight - and lets remember - we're not discussing holding a flight for an extended period time. We're talking about a flight that was still set to depart on its scheduled departure time. The flight departed and 7 passengers had to be endorsed over to United at a cost of about $150 per ticket. Getting out at T-0 is one thing, but then having to fork over $1000+ in money to another airline seems somewhat foolish.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; May 20, 2018 at 9:30 pm
Old May 20, 2018, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Was this even an AA call? Flights are operated by Envoy Air. Do they use AA operations to control flights. Let's at least blame the correct company
oh I don’t disagree with you. I was merely agreeing with the poster’s MO on Parker
Old May 20, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by audio-nut
I hear that AA gate agents get a bonus if they start boarding 15 minutes before published time and close the door 10 minutes early.
You heard wrong if you are suggesting they are getting bonuses for boarding at T-45 and closing the door at T-20.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Is there not a central operations centre for AA that monitor and control these decisions? I know its a different setup, but having watched the documentary about Emirates in Dubai, they have people whose sole purpose is to actively monitor the transfer situation and delayed inbounds, then make the call whether to hold an aircraft or rebook based on a number of factors.
Old May 20, 2018, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by timbre
I arrived at the gate 2 minutes before departure time which of course is way less than the 10 min before departure time required.
As you have noted the departure time is not the cut off for passengers boarding and the crew then completing the paperwork.
Late departures can cascade and have others effects as posts above
Old May 21, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Originally Posted by Austin787
AA has no qualms about leaving people behind to pad their ontime departure stats. AA once stranded 50 people at DFW after their inbound from SEA was delayed due to ice storms at SEA and AA refused to hold the connecting flight to AUS, which was the last flight of the day. All 50 had to overnight at DFW before flying to AUS the next morning. AA didn't provide lodging as weather led to the misconnect.
Same exact thing happened to me back in 2003 when I was a UT student, except that I was flying in from ORD.

50+ AUS passengers overnighted at DFW, with 30 of them having breakfast at the McD closest to the gate ...

So if it is any consolation, this has being going for decades at DFW...
Old May 21, 2018, 2:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

“Parker's AA is all about D0” hits it on the spot. When a company so heavily pursues delivering to a management-selected metric without adequate counterweight measures to fully account for realized adverse outcomes arising from the hardline pursuit of a primary metric for which employees get punished/rewarded, this is the kind of thing that happens more than it should.

If AA were required to perform under an EC 261/2004 type rule for even weather-related misconnects, AA calculations about what is ideal for AA operations would work out better for consumers — more so if the US passenger airline marketplace was way more competitive than it has been for too many years now.
thunderlounge likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:22 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If AA were required to perform under an EC 261/2004 type rule for even weather-related misconnects, AA calculations about what is ideal for AA operations would work out better for consumers — more so if the US passenger airline marketplace was way more competitive than it has been for too many years now.
Exactly right. AA can decide to strand a bunch of passengers, and the decision costs them nothing. The passengers bear the entire cost of the misconnect: lodging, meals, etc. When decision-makers have no stake in the outcome, it's a recipe for bad decisions.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Austin787
AA didn't provide lodging as weather led to the misconnect.
And this is where common sense comes into play. If AUS was their final destination, I'd be willing to bet it was cheaper for a one-way rental car than a night in a hotel (plus any incidentals and the additional time away). The DFW-AUS drive is still within reason for most people.
I priced a one-way rental with Hertz last year when it almost happened to me, and the cost was less than $100. But in the end I was able to get out on a different flight.

This certainly isn't the case for DFW-GJT, where it is still a very long drive.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jayer
4. They had filled up the plane with previously-delayed passengers or standbys wishing to leave sooner so it does not matter to them because they are net even.
This would be my bet.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
And this is where common sense comes into play. If AUS was their final destination, I'd be willing to bet it was cheaper for a one-way rental car than a night in a hotel (plus any incidentals and the additional time away). The DFW-AUS drive is still within reason for most people.
I priced a one-way rental with Hertz last year when it almost happened to me, and the cost was less than $100. But in the end I was able to get out on a different flight.

This certainly isn't the case for DFW-GJT, where it is still a very long drive.

Exactly. I’m driving to AUS vice staying overnight at DFW most of the time.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: none
It's an Operations decision after considering all of the factors. If it were important enough, the flight would have been held.

Apparently the flight wasn't important enough to hold. Stuff happens.
Old May 21, 2018, 7:26 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
(1) Sometimes the haste to depart on time can "backfire": I was on a flt from jfk to zrh, a GA was on board trying to sort out pax and seat assignments. At T-5 an announcement (over the PA) was made [by purser(?)], "ground personnel we are nearing take-off time...please depart the plane". The GA left the plane, the doors closed promptly and we began taxing to runway for t/o; BUT, they realized the actual pax on board count was in "error", we returned to the gate...the Captain announced 10 minutes later: "we have now sorted out the discrepancy...we are now ready to depart:" With taxing out and back and the delay at the gate, we departed 1 HOUR late, had the GA (who was shooed off the plane at T-5) been allowed a little extra time, we would have departed 5 minutes late instead of 1 HOUR.
(2) For the last flight of the day from A to B, Draconianly adhering to precise departure times is (in general) not prudent,
Old May 21, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
In IRROPS situations, this may be true, but in a lot of situations, the issue of crews timing out simply isn't relevant.
Lots of crews - D O Z E N S of crews - will time out in a big hub on a heavy weather day. How many E75 crews do you think Envoy has on ready standby at DFW?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.