Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

I have looked but cannot find any AA 787 flights from MIA??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios

I would love to fly this aircraft but I have searched and found no flights from MIA.Are there any that I missed??
Old May 18, 2018, 12:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Per AA Cargo, https://www.aacargo.com/downloads/sc...S_Outbound.pdf

No 787 action at MIA.
Old May 18, 2018, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avios
Thanks for info.I am surprised as MIA is a big hub for AA
Old May 18, 2018, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tilto007
Currently MIA is a hub for Latin America and caribbean regions in AA network. The fleet is heavy on B777 and B767 as well as B737. I think eventually B787-8 will come to MIA to replace B763. Maybe another year or two. At this moment B787 is heavy in ORD and LAX. Even DFW does not see much of the B787.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does that have to do with it?
Old May 18, 2018, 8:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
It is a big hub for AA but the routes served by the MIA operations are more efficiently served by equipment other than the 787.
Old May 19, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
767 is more efficient? Unlikely
Old May 19, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
767 is more efficient? Unlikely
Serving a route is not just a function of seats and fuel burn. There are also crews, maintenance teams, spare parts, etc. that need to be put into place in order to operate a given aircraft type out of a given airport. Adding a new aircraft type adds complexity to the system. So yes, leaving a legacy aircraft in place might be more operationally efficient than bringing in a new aircraft type and all that goes along with it.
DMPHL likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Serving a route is not just a function of seats and fuel burn. There are also crews, maintenance teams, spare parts, etc. that need to be put into place in order to operate a given aircraft type out of a given airport. Adding a new aircraft type adds complexity to the system. So yes, leaving a legacy aircraft in place might be more operationally efficient than bringing in a new aircraft type and all that goes along with it.
not to mention the cost of acquisition or the lost value by placing an already purchased one here vs somewhere else.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Not to hijack, but I won't be holding my breath for 787s out of CLT anytime soon either. Think LIT might get that NRT fight first.

Safe Travels
wrp96 likes this.
Old May 19, 2018, 9:40 am

The 767 burns roughly 20% more fuel than the 787 on long haul flights but as others have written there are way more factors than that. On shorter flights the difference could be as low as a wash. If that was the only or even the primary factor AA would park every other widebody in the desert and pay a premium to get every 787 coming down the line.

I assume that you must be assuming the newest aircraft model inherently must belong to a "prestigious" (and I use the word loosely) hub. That can be true but that is not generally the original mission of the 787. I think BA's 787 launch route may have been LHR-AUS which is hardly an important route for BA overall.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
The OP should praise their luck as long as it lasts. Whilst the 787 might have been great as conceived by Boeing, AA's version with wobbly business class seats and narrow, cramped economy class seats is to be avoided.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: AA - My other choices are severely limited
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
The OP should praise their luck as long as it lasts. Whilst the 787 might have been great as conceived by Boeing, AA's version with wobbly business class seats and narrow, cramped economy class seats is to be avoided.
Fortunately the wobbly J seats are not on issue on the -9's.
thunderlounge and TSparky like this.
Old May 19, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
The reason is that they can sell crappily maintained 767 to Latin America,. Try it on Jfk-LHR
Old May 19, 2018, 12:23 pm

The reason is that they can sell crappily maintained 767 to Latin America,. Try it on Jfk-LHR and see what happens to yields.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.