Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can I make this connection in ORD?? (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

I booked an award flight from Dallas (DFW) via Chicago (ORD) and London (LHR) to Edinburgh (EDI) on June 11th. I was able to get business class on the Chicago to London segment, but only economy was available for the DFW to ORD segment. AA flight 1463 arrives from DFW in ORD at 7:32pm, connecting to BA flight 296 that departs at 8:55pm. Not being familiar with O'Hare, I assumed that would be plenty of time. However, after some research, I learned that I will arrive in Terminal 3 and depart from Terminal 5 and will have to go through Security again. (British Airways provides bus services between the terminals, but that stops at 7:30 pm, just as I'm arriving). Now that I'm 70 years old, I'm quite worried about being able to make that connection so I called AA and asked what could be done.

Basically, they gave me 3 options:
1. Keep the same reservations & hope I can make the connection.
2. Pay an additional 30,000 miles (yes, 30,000!!!) to book a flight from DFW that arrives ORD earlier on Monday.
3. Book a red eye flight that departs DFW on Sunday June 10 at 10:35 pm and arrives at ORD at 12:52 am. That would be business class. No additional charge for this.

Can anyone give me some advice about the best option and whether I can really make that connection?

Thanks in advance,
Carolyn
Old May 17, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Connecting Traveler - O'Hare International Airport
" you can take a Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 and bypass the security checkpoint in Terminal 5. The Terminal Transfer Bus service is year round with operation hours as follows: 10:00 am - 8:30 pm"

Terminal Transfer Bus (TTB) Terminal 3 Pickup Locations
Gates G17, K20, L24
I assume AA can arrange a cart to get you from your gate to a bus pickup location if you walk too slowly

This info is from the official Chicago Dept of Aviation website for ORD

(As an aside, I would consider buying a ticket rather than paying 30K miles to get from DFW to ORD. Is this for Anytime economy? I assume you have a Saver ticket. If you have status, AA might let you standby for an earlier DFW to ORD flight.)

Last edited by mvoight; May 17, 2018 at 2:10 pm
Old May 17, 2018, 2:14 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
The shuttle runs until 8pm, not 8:30pm, but either way you should be able to make it in time assuming your flight from DFW is on time and you go directly to the shuttle bus and don't dilly dally.

Even if you don't make the shuttle for whatever reason, you should still be able to make the connection using the ATS train:

- Upon leaving T3 go straight out the revolving doors, do NOT go downstairs to baggage claim.
- Once you're outside of the secure area you will need to go up one level to the ATS train and go one stop to T5
- Now that BA participates in TSA preCheck, make sure your number is in the BA res

It won't be a leisurely connection with lots of lounge time. But it is doable.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
The shuttle runs until 8pm, not 8:30pm, but either way you should be able to make it in time assuming your flight from DFW is on time and you go directly to the shuttle bus and don't dilly dally.

Even if you don't make the shuttle for whatever reason, you should still be able to make the connection using the ATS train:

- Upon leaving T3 go straight out the revolving doors, do NOT go downstairs to baggage claim.
- Once you're outside of the secure area you will need to go up one level to the ATS train and go one stop to T5
- Now that BA participates in TSA preCheck, make sure your number is in the BA res

It won't be a leisurely connection with lots of lounge time. But it is doable.
Are you sure the time is 8:00 and not 8:30.
The original announcement said 8:00 PM (https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...-at-ohare.html)
But the official airport site says 8:30 PM ( http://www.flychicago.com/ohare/myfl...s/default.aspx )
Should they be contacted to change the website info?
Old May 17, 2018, 2:48 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
Are you sure the time is 8:00 and not 8:30.
The original announcement said 8:00 PM (https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/...-at-ohare.html)
But the official airport site says 8:30 PM ( Connecting Traveler - O'Hare International Airport )
Should they be contacted to change the website info?
The official airport site link you posted also says 8pm
Old May 17, 2018, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

The lady I spoke to at American told me the BA bus service stops at 7:30. Will try to call BA to verify the schedule.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CarolynAnn
The lady I spoke to at American told me the BA bus service stops at 7:30. Will try to call BA to verify the schedule.
It hasn't been operated by BA since last year, it is now an ORD operated service so their web site should be correct.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

So...if the bus service is operational until 8:00, it would still be tight to make if off a plane landing at 7:32 and to the shuttle bus by 8:00, wouldn't it?
Old May 17, 2018, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by CarolynAnn
So...if the bus service is operational until 8:00, it would still be tight to make if off a plane landing at 7:32 and to the shuttle bus by 8:00, wouldn't it?
If you arrive right on time, 28 mins is more than enough time to make it to the shuttle. You will most likely be standing around for 10 or 15 mins waiting until 8pm.
Old May 17, 2018, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

International flight - miss connection - what happens?

I booked an AA award flight to Edinburgh but very tight connection in Chicago. The Chicago to Edinburgh segment is on British Airways for which I paid a small fortune in surcharges & seats. If I miss the BA flight, what happens?
Old May 17, 2018, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If AA is late getting you to Chicago they will rebook you to Edinburgh. If you specifically want to fly BA metal you will need to ask for it (and wait for it, at your own expense).
Old May 17, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
Be aware, time landing and time arriving at the gate are two very different things at ORD! Additionally, any type of delay will cause a problem.
Old May 17, 2018, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. You've confirmed what I was afraid of. Will call American again and see what they can do for me.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by bobnchi
Be aware, time landing and time arriving at the gate are two very different things at ORD! Additionally, any type of delay will cause a problem.
If OP has an arrival time of 7:32 PM on her AA itinerary, that is the time on the gate with brakes locked, not the runway time. The latter is largely irrelevant and only serves to confuse.

If her flight arrives on schedule, she will have 28 minutes to make it off her inbound and to the shuttle. If she does not, she will still likely be just fine even if she moves a bit slowly.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:59 am

It's officially 8:00pm, but...if there's enough demand they will keep a bus past to shuttle them over from T3>T5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.